Winning which SB would’ve meant more for their legacy...

DirtyDez

In SB’s that they lost, which one would’ve meant more for their legacy had they won? (I know it’s hypothetical so you can’t know how they performed but humor me)...

Elway:

86’ vs Giants

87’ vs Redskins

89’ vs 49ers

Kelly:

90’ vs Giants

91’ vs Redskins

92’ vs Cowboys

93’ vs Cowboys

Warner:

01’ vs Patriots

08’ vs Steelers

Manning:

10’ vs Colts

13’ vs Seahawks

Brady:

12’ vs Giants

17’ vs Eagles

(07’ is too obvious)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

In SB’s that they lost, which one would’ve meant more for their legacy had they won? (I know it’s hypothetical so you can’t know how they performed but humor me)...

Elway:

86’ vs Giants

87’ vs Redskins

89’ vs 49ers

Kelly:

90’ vs Giants

91’ vs Redskins

92’ vs Cowboys

93’ vs Cowboys

Warner:

01’ vs Patriots

08’ vs Steelers

Manning:

10’ vs Colts

13’ vs Seahawks

Brady:

12’ vs Giants

17’ vs Eagles

(07’ is too obvious)

Liked this for like 1,000!

Elway: None, the last two did the work for him.

Kelly: Literally any of them validate that entire team.

Warner: The Cards would have been bigger because it would be the 2nd time he took an unsuccessful franchise and won a SB.

Manning: Colts, I'd say. Had he won that, I think the Colts let Manning come back after his neck issue.

Brady: Eagles, maybe?

• Like 3

Not one of the options, but if Cam Newton would have beaten the Broncos in 2016, he'd have a case for the HOF.

But that game (and that one play where he refused to recover his fumble) literally tarnished his whole legacy. I've never seen a single game completely 180 everyone's perception of a guy like that game did. I actually feel bad for the guy

From the list, I'd go with Manning in 2013 vs the Seahawks just because of how embarrassing that game was. Manning should have won way more than 2 SBs in his career 

Edited by Canuck

3 hours ago, August4th said:

kelly would probably be consensus top 10 all-time QB if the Bills won those 4 superbowls.

You can only pick one and even with one you’re probably right.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Not one of the options, but if Cam Newton would have beaten the Broncos in 2016, he'd have a case for the HOF.

But that game (and that one play where he refused to recover his fumble) literally tarnished his whole legacy. I've never seen a single game completely 180 everyone's perception of a guy like that game did. I actually feel bad for the guy

From the list, I'd go with Manning in 2013 vs the Seahawks just because of how embarrassing that game was. Manning should have won way more than 2 SBs in his career 

Only picked guys with multiple SB losses.  The others not listed were Staubach and Tarkenton but they were before my time. 😉

9 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Elway:

86’ vs Giants

87’ vs Redskins

89’ vs 49ers

Largely irrelevant, IMO. 

Kelly:

90’ vs Giants

91’ vs Redskins

92’ vs Cowboys

93’ vs Cowboys

I think in 93 vs the Cowboys. It would’ve completely validated what could’ve been a dynasty team. Not to mention the Boys we’re rolling at full steam by then.

Warner:

01’ vs Patriots

08’ vs Steelers

08 for sure. Warner at the end of his career giving Arizona a championship would’ve been amazing for him and that team.

Manning:

10’ vs Colts

13’ vs Seahawks

2013 - erases a significant blemish on what should be (and many consider to be) the GOAT offense. 

Brady:

12’ vs Giants

17’ vs Eagles

(07’ is too obvious)

VS the Giants. Vengeance for taking the perfect season. The Eagles loss wasn’t fun but it was sandwiched between two SB wins so it’s hard to put extra weight into it. The second go around with NYG was the Pats’ first trip back since part one.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:03 PM, Yin-Yang said:

The Eagles loss wasn’t fun but it was sandwiched between two SB wins so it’s hard to put extra weight into it.

I think that's what gives it weight - with a W there, we're looking at the first ever three-peat in the SB era.

Three-peating might be a bigger accomplishment than going undefeated. I mean, the 1972 Dolphins went undefeated, but nobody in the SB era ever won three in a row.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think that's what gives it weight - with a W there, we're looking at the first ever three-peat in the SB era.

Three-peating might be a bigger accomplishment than going undefeated. I mean, the 1972 Dolphins went undefeated, but nobody in the SB era ever won three in a row.

I hear you, but do you think that moves the needle for the modern Pats? For me, their legacy’s set whether it was 2/3 or 3/3 in the 2010s. 

Going down as the undisputed GOAT team would mean a ton more, IMO. And as a fan, I’d ever take the 2011 revenge shot over the Philly bowl, but that could be biased. Nothing was worse than 07 but 2011 was like football PTSD. At least by the Philly II, the resume is pretty much complete.

• Like 1