Winning which SB would’ve meant more for their legacy...

DirtyDez

On 3/7/2020 at 8:04 PM, Canuck said:

Not one of the options, but if Cam Newton would have beaten the Broncos in 2016, he'd have a case for the HOF.

But that game (and that one play where he refused to recover his fumble) literally tarnished his whole legacy. I've never seen a single game completely 180 everyone's perception of a guy like that game did. I actually feel bad for the guy

From the list, I'd go with Manning in 2013 vs the Seahawks just because of how embarrassing that game was. Manning should have won way more than 2 SBs in his career 

He's given too much grief for the fumble. He wasn't going to recover the ball even if he dives on it. Also didn't change the fact that the refs allowed the Broncos to head hunt Cam all night with no penalty. Or the Cotchery catch non call or the two missed field goals in which Denver was offsides. All of that was a bigger deal than the fumble.

• Like 1

For Elway, the Giant one would have made a big difference on his legacy for most of his career (and maybe still today. The SB wins helped, but some people rip on him for those losses). That was the most winnable of Denver's three 80's SB losses. The next two weren't nearly as winnable. They didn't match up nearly as well with the 87 Redskins and 89 49ers. The physical Redskins pushed them around on both sides of the ball, and they ran into a buzzsaw on the Bayou two years later.

15 hours ago, bigdog2372 said:

I know this isn't one of the options, but the one that always pops into my mind when this issue is discussed is Roethlisberger and if he'd beaten the Packers. 3 rings is pretty much a lock for you to get into the HOF.

On the other side of that discussion - it would take away the one ring Aaron Rodgers has. What's the narrative on his career right now if he didn't have a SB ring?

If Jim Kelly even wins just one, he and all of those ALL TIME GREATS are validated. Jim Kelly was twice the QB Aikman was, and no one will ever change my mind on this. Thurman Thomas was a fantastic double threat RB, Bruce Smith was one of the GOAT pass rushers, and Andre Reed was a criminally underrated WR who took forever to get into the HOF.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 9:50 AM, ET80 said:

I think that's what gives it weight - with a W there, we're looking at the first ever three-peat in the SB era.

Three-peating might be a bigger accomplishment than going undefeated. I mean, the 1972 Dolphins went undefeated, but nobody in the SB era ever won three in a row.

That's a good point. I honestly didn't consider the magnitude the 3 peat would have or even the fact that win would have made a 3 peat.

As a Bronco fan growing up in the era where I watched the Broncos get hammered three times in the Super Bowl, I don't think it would have mattered much to Elway's legacy.  His legacy is, however, that these three teams that played in these Super Bowls wouldn't have even made the playoffs without Elway.  They were a JV team disguised as Super Bowl contenders.  But, to answer your question, I think if Elway would have beaten the 49ers that would have seemed huge considering the 49ers were considered a dynasty at that point.  To end a dynasty would have been awesome.  Alas, we all know how that Super Bowl went.  That 49ers team though was stacked.  I think they had a pro bowler or a pro bowl type player at every position.; I will admit, they were fun to watch.  

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

That 49ers team though was stacked.  I think they had a pro bowler or a pro bowl type player at every position.; I will admit, they were fun to watch.  

Because they cheated. Massively. Let's never forget that.