1990s Sci-fi - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

In this thread we will be deciding the third entrant into the FF Best Movie Ever Tournament - Sci-Fi movie from the 1990s!

Please see rules at the following thread:

Nominations are open! Please be clear that you are nominating flicks. Movies with 3+ nominations will make it into the polling phase. POSTERS WILL BE LIMITED TO FIVE NOMINATIONS. If you nominate more than 5 I will only count the top five. The changes in edited posts will not be counted. Nominations will close Monday, 3/9/2020 at 6pm EST. 

@Calvert28 @THE DUKE @FinneasGage @FourThreeMafia  @Dome @The Orca @August4th @thrILL! @Malfatron @Elky @daboyle250 @rackcs @MikeT14 @Daniel @MWil23 @seminoles1 @scar988 @JoshstraDaymus @JonStark @animaltested @Ozzy @Bullet Club @AlexGreen#20 @Fresh Prince @KManX89 @TENINCH @SlevinKelevra @bucsfan333 @Ray Reed @Bucketheadsdad @kingseanjohn@Pickle Rick

1 Dark City (the film the Matrix shamelessly ripped off)

2 The Fifth Element

3 the City of Lost Children

4 12 Monkeys (seems more relevant by the day, and admits what it borrows from)

5 Total Recall

HM

Strange Days (tough cut to make), T2, Demolition Man ,eXistenZ ,Jurassic Park ,Stargate

Starship Troopers (satire belongs in Comedy, really) , Cube

The Matrix
Dark City
12 Monkeys
Alien 3
The Fifth Element

Just missed the cut:

Terminator 2
Waterworld
Gattaca
Independence Day
Star Wars Episode I

13 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

1 Dark City (the film the Matrix shamelessly ripped off)

2 The Fifth Element

3 the City of Lost Children

4 12 Monkeys (seems more relevant by the day, and admits what it borrows from)

5 Total Recall

HM

Strange Days (tough cut to make), T2, Demolition Man ,eXistenZ ,Jurassic Park ,Stargate

Starship Troopers (satire belongs in Comedy, really) , Cube

The Matrix did use the green tone throughout and overall visual vibe along with wardrobe, Dark City was made a little before but not sure officially when The Matrix began production so hard to tell.  But yes I agree the Matrix used artistic elements from Dark City which is one of the best Neo-Noir films all time and is easily one of the best Sci Fi films as well.  The Matrix is a better movie though but visually it is close call.  The Matrix following sequels took it down a notch in many ways and hurt the overall brand, especially that third one, but the first one is absolutely standout.  

Strange Days was ok, Jurassic Park I consider Action and or Fantasy.  And I would consider Men in Black a comedy.  

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The Matrix did use the green tone throughout and overall visual vibe along with wardrobe, Dark City was made a little before but not sure officially when The Matrix began production so hard to tell.  But yes I agree the Matrix used artistic elements from Dark City which is one of the best Neo-Noir films all time and is easily one of the best Sci Fi films as well.  The Matrix is a better movie though but visually it is close call.  The Matrix following sequels took it down a notch in many ways and hurt the overall brand, especially that third one, but the first one is absolutely standout.  

Dark City came out a full year ahead of hte Matrix

the similarities are obvious, the ripoffs are obvious, the ideas are obvious. They shared an art director and producer.  This is not hard to know or find out.

The Matrix does have a bigger budget, better effects, bigger "stars".  It has a couple of more eye-dropping scenes (gun-fu, lobby), but it is in no way a better overall film. If anything it is dragged down by its half-hearted attempt to incorporate philosophical ponderings into the story. See how that spiraled out of control in the sequels. Not sure what you're talking about with "green tone", that is clearly a callout to how old computer CRTs used to look.  The color tone in Dark City is due to... water.

Edited by SlevinKelevra

6 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

the similarities are obvious, the ripoffs are obvious, the ideas are obvious. They shared an art director and producer.  This is not hard to know or find out.

The Matrix does have a bigger budget, better effects, bigger "stars".  It has a couple of more eye-dropping scenes (gun-fu, lobby), but it is in no way a better overall film. If anything it is dragged down by its half-hearted attempt to incorporate philosophical ponderings into the story. See how that spiraled out of control in the sequels.

Being the art director is great but if they have no real track record then honestly they are not the main reason the film looks like that.

These people are not Roger Deakins or something, Hugh Bateup the only thing of note he has done is The Matrix and was one of two art directors along with Michelle McGahey, and the only two things of note she has done are The Matrix and Dark City.  Richard Hobbs was with McGahey on Dark City and has done Mad Max Fury road but  he was the "supervising art director" in Fury Road out of four total so no way he was the lead really if any of that stuff with George Miller being the brains.  

So honestly both those are not great track records and to me that clearly says the directors or someone else are more involved in the overall look of the film than the art director.  The cinematographer of The Matrix has done little to nothing else and same with Dark City.   Dark City cinematographer has done Alice in Wonderland, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Prometheus, The Martian, Crimson Tide, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, The Counselor so at least that is something I guess compared to Bill Pope the Matrix cinematographer has done little impressive work outside of the Matrix, with what Army of Darkness and what Clueless.

Both directors and writers of Dark City and The Matrix have pretty poor track records movie wise as well, Alex Proyas made The Crow which is impressive at least and I' Robot but that is about it.  The Matrix directors the Wachowski's have made absolutely crap outside of The Matrix films, mind you I do need to see Bound so maybe that is something but Cloud Atlas was awful along with some others.  

But no real track record for art director, cinematography or directing.  Only one with a slight track record outside of those two films would be Dariusz Wolski the cinematographer for Dark City I suppose.

You do not know when The Matrix was being actually made and created,  sometimes it takes years for that to be done.  Apparently the script was bought in 1994 and casting was 1996 when Will Smith turned down the role.  Think that movie was cranked out in a year?  Sure the release date is one thing but those are moved back depending on when they want it brought to light.  What came first, if it was Dark City then good for them, regardless of the stupid connections this video shows, yes a girl will say I love you to the main character dude in the film.  The similarity to me is the look of the film and use of green tones.  Of course films use similar scenes, what no one can have a phone ring in a movie ever?  

Both movies are great but The Matrix is overall better, better villain, better action, better visual effects, more cohesive look and better acting arguably.  If they made Dark City 2 and 3 and soon to be 4 maybe it would be looked a little less on as well.  

34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The similarity to me is the look of the film and use of green tones.  Of course films use similar scenes, what no one can have a phone ring in a movie ever?  

enough said. LMAO.  between this and your "it was a man" comment  I'm convinced you don't actually watch movies with any true attention to detail.

ps, a google search that took all of 10 seconds reveals principal photography for Matrix began in March 1998.  You know, after/when Dark City was in theaters.

Edited by SlevinKelevra
forgot.

2 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

The Matrix does have a bigger budget, better effects, bigger "stars".  It has a couple of more eye-dropping scenes (gun-fu, lobby), but it is in no way a better overall film. If anything it is dragged down by its half-hearted attempt to incorporate philosophical ponderings into the story. See how that spiraled out of control in the sequels. Not sure what you're talking about with "green tone", that is clearly a callout to how old computer CRTs used to look.  The color tone in Dark City is due to... water.

Yeah, The Matrix ripped off Ghost in the Shell, not Dark City (GITS was a full four years before The Matrix).  Like, the Wachowskis specifically pointed to GITS as what they borrowed heavily from, and the thematic similarities and commonalities in the settings of the worlds are obvious.

And as great as The Matrix is, GITS is a better movie.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, The Matrix ripped off Ghost in the Shell, not Dark City (GITS was a full four years before The Matrix).  Like, the Wachowskis specifically pointed to GITS as what they borrowed heavily from, and the thematic similarities and commonalities in the settings of the worlds are obvious.

And as great as The Matrix is, GITS is a better movie.

they admitted thats what they borrowed from because major elements, plot-wise that's the most obvious ripoff. But the plot alone is hardly a point for examining tte lack of originality.  I mean it seems like half of the sets were re-used from Dark City.

2 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

they admitted thats what they borrowed from because major elements, plot-wise that's the most obvious ripoff. But the plot alone is hardly a point for examining tte lack of originality.  I mean it seems like half of the sets were re-used from Dark City.

Like I said, it wasn't the plot alone.  The plot yes, but also the idea of the blurring lines between humans and artificial intelligence, the cyberpunk aesthetic, and the setting where society is physically hardwired into an internet-like system and can even be manipulated as if they were programs all come straight from GITS.