1990s Sci-fi - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

48 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Jurassic Park isn't sci-fi, but Mad Max: Fury Road is. I don't get you.

Put it into Sci Fi, who cares it is actually a great movie so does not really matter the damn category.  But calling Jurassic Park Sci-Fi is like calling Frankenstein Sci-Fi.  Both have science create something so then they are both Sci Fi movies?  Jurassic Park was pretty close to current day was it not, hell people even thought the dying triceratops was real, yeah that is a fantasy.  Oh and Vanilla Sky is not a romance but a Sci Fi movie as well right.  

V For Vendetta is a Sci-Fi movie because why?  It is based in the future, and just because that future has a little more futuristic feel that makes Mad Max Fury Road not a Sci-Fi film because it has a more post apocalyptic feel and is more gritty?  Who cares it will win Action and should easily.  

Mind you props to the Wachowski sisters, wrote V for Vendetta so I did not include that before so there is something they did which is clearly solid outside of all The Matrix stuff, now going to have to check out Bound and see how that is. 

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, The Matrix ripped off Ghost in the Shell, not Dark City (GITS was a full four years before The Matrix).  Like, the Wachowskis specifically pointed to GITS as what they borrowed heavily from, and the thematic similarities and commonalities in the settings of the worlds are obvious.

And as great as The Matrix is, GITS is a better movie.

Stinks how the 2017 version was so bad, it is like they put all their effort and artistic talent into the first 15 minutes or so and then it just stopped after that.  Almost all the good screen shots all come from that first few minutes.  

This is such a tough decade to choose

The Matrix

Fifth Element

T2

Jurrasic Park

Star Trek: Generations- Fan favorite

The 90's also had quite possibly the great line in cinema history in one of their movies. If you get this without looking it up you deserve a cookie so treat yourself.

I want the people to know that they still have two out of three branches of the government working for them, and that ain’t bad!!

11 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

1 Dark City (the film the Matrix shamelessly ripped off)

2 The Fifth Element

3 the City of Lost Children

4 12 Monkeys (seems more relevant by the day, and admits what it borrows from)

5 Total Recall

HM

Strange Days (tough cut to make), T2, Demolition Man ,eXistenZ ,Jurassic Park ,Stargate

Starship Troopers (satire belongs in Comedy, really) , Cube

Dark City was boringer though.

Jean Pierre-Jeunet got better without Caro.  Nobody likes not being able to see what’s happening.  

Jesus, this is an all time burner of a decade. I went a little off the beaten path for some, as I figure that films like T2 will easily get the recognition it deserves. And though MIB is a great sci fi comedy in a bit of a smaller niche, I wanted to give Galaxy Question some love in that particular genre. 

No particular order, nominations are: 

• Gattaca 
  • Matrix
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Strange Days
  • Galaxy Quest

The fact that I can look at that list and realize I'm missing 12 monkeys, T2, existenz, Dark City, Stargate, Total Recall and Jurassic Park among others is incredible. 

11 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

The 90's also had quite possibly the great line in cinema history in one of their movies. If you get this without looking it up you deserve a cookie so treat yourself.

Even to this day, I can see Jack delivering that line in my head. 

• Like 1

Official Nominations:

The Matrix
Terminator 2
The Fifth Element
12 Monkeys
Jurassic Park

Honestly not sure where my vote is going yet, i'm going to have to think a bit on this.

Honorable Mentions (Not a nom):

Galaxy Quest
Gattica
Men in Black
Total Recall
Waterworld

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I didn't read all of the posts before submitting mine....I love the Ghost in the Shell shout outs in nominations 

For me, it’s almost a dead heat between 12 Monkeys and it. Everything else is vying for a distant third (and I really love the other three I nominated).

And that’s saying a lot, since Gilliam was the director I chose for my sci fi Make A Movie Draft thing a few months ago, largely on the strength of 12 Monkeys.

Edit: And Galaxy Quest is hella funny.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1