Aaron Jones' 8 Longest Runs of 2019 Gif Edition

AlexGreen#20

BQRaRrI.png

Mhhg0hX.gif

Ultra light box, 2 deep safeties with fill responsibilities, that's really tough to defend. Jonathan Allen is going to take a really bad first step here and realize he's blown it already. He tries to take the inside path, and just doesn't get there in time. Jones is just going to run right through the blown gap and pick up 16 yards. 

dUoKRVT.png

fwDVXs4.gif

Jake Kumerow as a lead blocker makes this list twice. Can't even say he doesn't deserve this one. He stuck the hell out of the safety in the box and sprung Jones for a really long run here.

kJkNG4T.png

txrK0ZK.gif

Redskins are going to do a really nice job of reading this one and filling aggressively. This was originally supposed to go between Turner and Bulaga, but Collins gets up into the line nicely and kinda ruins that. Jones breaks it outside at that point, and Lewis gets enough of Sweat to get Jones the edge.

UXcgwXz.png

t05h0oz.gif

Bulaga just puts this one on the highlight reel and Smith does an excellent job of showing us what happens when a talented ILB gets kill-shotted.

9JzZDw3.png

JGBMrqv.gif

Everybody does their job here except for LVE. He doesn't get deep enough into the line, and ends up getting blown past. Inside linebackers playing edge contain is always scary. Jones makes a great play here to read this and get outside.

xcd0Xbx.png

jhlzjct.gif

Sometimes there's highlights, and sometimes there's bad tackling. Prince Amukamara here does an excellent job of securing his nomination for the Deion Sanders Award for ****tiness in Tackling Among Corners.

OeIri1s.png

tf5Rurc.gif

Jake Kumerow for Fullback. In reality, Lewis is going to have a tremendous block against Kuechly. Bulaga's going to have a tremendous block against Kawaan Short, and when your two guys both win blocks against the other team's best front seven players, you tend to have long runs.

b8NqOL0.png

iRY3ExW.gif

This was probably my favorite play of the year. MVS stumbles into a great block on Xavier Rhodes, and Elgton Jenkins has a bunch of good blocks here. I really enjoyed this one. 

• Like 5

I bring this up because there's going to have to be a discussion about paying Jones long term. 

I think there's an argument to be made that in 5 of these 8, (Vikings, Bears, Cowboy 1, Redskins 1, and Redskins 2) Jones didn't really have any kind of highlight play. 

Jones made tremendous reads on the other 3 plays to get this yardage, and that's not an insult to Jones overall, but I don't this production is irreplaceable. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't this production is irreplaceable. 

I think that's where many are sitting and we've talked about these generalities:

* You don't pay RB's
* RB's
are a dime a dozen
* You can just plug in another late rounder in the outside zone offense

The area where I push back on some of these comments is that reality is often slightly different than the generalities.
Many RB's just don't make the leap to the pro's
Most RB's struggle in pass pro early on
Some get injured ( toughest position in NFL)
Some get into trouble with the law
Some get fat

Here's the Packers RBs dating back to 2011. These are just the ones that made the roster, there's a ton more FAs and UDFAs that didn't make it out of camp

Ryan Grant
James Starks
John Kuhn
DuJuan Harris
Alex Green
Cedric Benson
James Starks
Eddie Lacy
Johnathan Franklin
Ty Montgomery
Don Jackson
Aaron Ripkowski
Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Danny Vitale

If its so easy to replace production and RBs are a dime a dozen - then why are there so few that you'd swap for Aaron Jones ?
Do the Packers suck at securing RBs  OR  is it possible that despite the high supply, the number that actually work out is rather finite ?

If Jones is open to a shorter deal, an extension that puts cash in his pocket now- I'd be open to that option. If he wants a 5 yr Zeke Deal, see ya later
I just don't think its as easy to replace Jones and some would suggest, but maybe there are some Packer-centric reasons for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mccammon07 said:

Judging by your username I'm not sure you'd be my first option in evaluating RB's. Jones is the best running back we've had since Ahman Green. He should be resigned.

Judging by yours you're 13 years old. 

Quit judging by usernames.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Judging by yours you're 13 years old. 

Quit judging by usernames.

Yikes! I was kind of joking. What do you have against 13 year olds? 

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Alex Green > Aaron Jones 

You're kidding. Right?

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I think that's where many are sitting and we've talked about these generalities:

* You don't pay RB's
* RB's
are a dime a dozen
* You can just plug in another late rounder in the outside zone offense

The area where I push back on some of these comments is that reality is often slightly different than the generalities.
Many RB's just don't make the leap to the pro's
Most RB's struggle in pass pro early on
Some get injured ( toughest position in NFL)
Some get into trouble with the law
Some get fat

Here's the Packers RBs dating back to 2011. These are just the ones that made the roster, there's a ton more FAs and UDFAs that didn't make it out of camp

Ryan Grant
James Starks
John Kuhn
DuJuan Harris
Alex Green
Cedric Benson
James Starks
Eddie Lacy
Johnathan Franklin
Ty Montgomery
Don Jackson
Aaron Ripkowski
Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Danny Vitale

If its so easy to replace production and RBs are a dime a dozen - then why are there so few that you'd swap for Aaron Jones ?
Do the Packers suck at securing RBs  OR  is it possible that despite the high supply, the number that actually work out is rather finite ?

If Jones is open to a shorter deal, an extension that puts cash in his pocket now- I'd be open to that option. If he wants a 5 yr Zeke Deal, see ya later
I just don't think its as easy to replace Jones and some would suggest, but maybe there are some Packer-centric reasons for that.

Beyond Eddie Lacy, that's about the minimal amount of resources you could put in that room. We had no back when we drafted Jones and Williams, late day 3. Just not a position you pay unless you're getting value. If Jones signed a 3/24 contract, sure. Anything 10+, so long.

3 hours ago, mccammon07 said:

Judging by your username I'm not sure you'd be my first option in evaluating RB's. Jones is the best running back we've had since Ahman Green. He should be resigned.

Disagree, I know people think this is a strong Wide Receiver class, but what they're sleeping on is that this is also a strong Running back class. I just don't see the value in shelling out money right now to a Running Back and Todd Gurley, Le'veon Bell, David Johnson are all reasons as of late that I'm not willing to invest prime money into that position. I love Aaron Jones, don't get me wrong, he had a tremendous year but I'm with @AlexGreen#20 on this one. I do not think that Aaron Jones production is irreplaceable. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Disagree, I know people think this is a strong Wide Receiver class, but what they're sleeping on is that this is also a strong Running back class. I just don't see the value in shelling out money right now to a Running Back and Todd Gurley, Le'veon Bell, David Johnson are all reasons as of late that I'm not willing to invest prime money into that position. I love Aaron Jones, don't get me wrong, he had a tremendous year but I'm with @AlexGreen#20 on this one. I do not think that Aaron Jones production is irreplaceable. 

I guess it's my opinion that we maybe have 3 to 5 years of Rodgers left. I don't understand why when we have finally found a decent RB to put behind him we would let him go. Look at the list that was posted of RB's we've had. Not good other than a couple good years with Lacy. If Jones wants Zeke money I'm all for letting him go. He won't get Zeke money because he's not the player Zeke is. But he is the best RB we've had in the Rodgers era and I we should spend some money and keep him. Your right that he's not irreplaceable, but I wouldn't want to spend the last of Rodger's time here trying to replace him because they wanted to go the cheaper route.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I bring this up because there's going to have to be a discussion about paying Jones long term. 

I think there's an argument to be made that in 5 of these 8, (Vikings, Bears, Cowboy 1, Redskins 1, and Redskins 2) Jones didn't really have any kind of highlight play. 

Jones made tremendous reads on the other 3 plays to get this yardage, and that's not an insult to Jones overall, but I don't this production is irreplaceable. 

I don't trust that we will find a back near as good as Jones, and not willing to take that gamble.  I think he needs to be re-upped for three more years.

1 hour ago, mccammon07 said:

I guess it's my opinion that we maybe have 3 to 5 years of Rodgers left. I don't understand why when we have finally found a decent RB to put behind him we would let him go. Look at the list that was posted of RB's we've had. Not good other than a couple good years with Lacy. If Jones wants Zeke money I'm all for letting him go. He won't get Zeke money because he's not the player Zeke is. But he is the best RB we've had in the Rodgers era and I we should spend some money and keep him. Your right that he's not irreplaceable, but I wouldn't want to spend the last of Rodger's time here trying to replace him because they wanted to go the cheaper route.

I think that list becomes irrelevant when you factor in what we invested to get those players, then you factor in Mike McCarthy's system versus MLF's system. 

17 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Beyond Eddie Lacy, that's about the minimal amount of resources you could put in that room.

So what you're saying is aligned with what I am saying.
IF the Packers move on from Aaron Jones, they are going to have to invest at least a 1, 2, or 3 and hope like hell they work out.
Which isn't always the case, as history has shown us. Betting that you can find another Jones in rounds 4-7 is an even lousier bet

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

Even among the teams that spent a premium pick, the hit rate ain't great
Wash spent a 2nd on Guice, got nuthin for it
Dalvin Cook is good, but not only did he miss an entire season, last year he missed the pivotal division-deciding game in minny
Kareem Hunt, derailed career
D'Onta Foreman ? bust
Samaje Perine, flame out
CJ Prosise ? crapola
I'm reasonably certain the Chargers thought Melvin Gordon would do better than he did despite their big investment in round 1 ( and moving up for him)

So the idea that "all the Packers have to do is make a bigger investment in the RB room" and all is well, is not supported by NFL history or Packer history.

• Like 2