Hoop or Robby?

Brit Pack

Hoop or Robby?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. There is not many receiving options available in FA and if we want to get more weapons in besides the draft, I see there are two realistic possibilities and they are both going to cost about the same amount $11 -$12m a season. Out of these two players who would you prefer?

• Robby Anderson, WR
    • Austin Hopper, TE
    • Keep the money in the bank

I'm not paying either of them that price.  If I was to pick between the 2, I'm picking Hooper.  This year's TE group is rough and we could pretty easily have the NFL's worst group of TEs if Tonyan and Jace are the answers for next year at #1 and #2.

I think Jace likely as some upside but we're looking at a guy who's got very little career success at the position who lost almost his entire rookie year to multiple injuries.  Not sure I'm going into next year expecting a healthy scratch caliber of player to develop into a NFL starter overnight at one of the harder positions in the NFL to transition to.    

I don't really understand the infatuation with FA pass catchers.  Maybe it is because the FA market isn't exactly "rich" with them?  Maybe it is because our WR room and TE could use an upgrade?

Whatever the reason is....I am not a supporter of spending big free agent bucks in any pass catcher.  I think two may be (key word, may) Green and Sanders.  But, Green is older and hasn't played much for 2 years.  Rumor is he's gonna get franchised, which is ridiculous.  If his contract is what Spotrac predicts, 2 years, $18M, that's one I can get behind...somewhat.  Still scared about the medicals.  

Sanders is old and likely to command more than $9M/year on the open market.  Tough pill to swallow for an older guy, though I do like the skillset and the veteran presence there.

If you are going to throw some free agent dollars out there, it kind of needs to be on the DL.  There's a lot of them to choose from.  And we need DL help in a big way.

DL is going to help the line, obviously, but it will also help the inside backers and probably even the secondary if the guy can get any rush at all.

Buy the defense, draft the offense.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Green is older and hasn't played much for 2 years.  Rumor is he's gonna get franchised, which is ridiculous.  If his contract is what Spotrac predicts, 2 years, $18M, that's one I can get behind...somewhat.  Still scared about the medicals.

Believe I read somewhere that the franchise tag for Green would be around 18M for one year - not two - which (if right) would put it well outside our shopping cart - and (in my mind....) would call into question why CIN would go that route other than not stripping their offense of its prime contributor (when healthy.....) when you're about to spend the #1 pick on your franchise QB. It would also be hard for Green to walk away from.

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

Believe I read somewhere that the franchise tag for Green would be around 18M for one year - not two - which (if right) would put it well outside our shopping cart - and (in my mind....) would call into question why CIN would go that route other than not stripping their offense of its prime contributor (when healthy.....) when you're about to spend the #1 pick on your franchise QB. It would also be hard for Green to walk away from.

Spotrac had his free agency contract valued at 2 years, $18M.  That was about a month ago.

No doubt that the franchise tag will be a lot more.

Maybe Cincy is just crazy enough to do that.  But that is crazy money for someone who hasn't played in a while.

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Spotrac had his free agency contract valued at 2 years, $18M.  That was about a month ago.

No doubt that the franchise tag will be a lot more.

Maybe Cincy is just crazy enough to do that.  But that is crazy money for someone who hasn't played in a while.

Cincy is crazy enough to do that... they're well on their way to going back to being the Bungles again...

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Buy the defense, draft the offense.

They haven't done that for the last decade.  Draft has gone all offense for a decade.  FA, too, other than TE. 

Last top-pick spent on offense was Sherrod.  Long, long time ago.  

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

If that's the case, then Robby Anderson must really suck.

You guys are way too influenced by s***** takes on here. 

Austin Hooper will be 25 when the season starts , and has improved every single year. 

He’s averaged 700 yards over two seasons while being injured last year.

He also caught 79% of his targets. 

Let’s not forget, there has been very few TEs like Kelce, Kittle and Ertz in the history of the league. Just because Hooper isn’t one of them, doesn’t mean he ‘sucks’. 

This would be an incredible signing. 

4 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

If that's the case, then Robby Anderson must really suck.

He doesn't suck, he's a 1 trick WR.  Run deep really really really fast.  He's also paper thin, I think the wind actually helps him run a ton faster when he has it at his back.  I don't think you pay him big money for 2 catches a game and a bunch of deep misses.