How much job security does Mike Tomlin have?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

It's just humiliating that a Super Bowl could never be played there.  

You understand that Super Bowl cities are basically picked because they're tourist attractions, right? Stephen Ross is possibly the worst owner in sports, but Miami hosts a Super Bowl every other year. Why? Because people like to spend a week enjoying Miami weather and "culture" before the game is played... Tom Benson wasn't the best owner pre-Drew Brees, and he got a Super Bowl at the run down Superdome on a regular rotation. Why? Because New Orleans is crazy fun city that people want to go to. The league hasn't even played a regular season game in Las Vegas yet, but the league is lining up to do anything and everything in Vegas. Why? Because Vegas.

Nobody WANTS to go to Pittsburgh for a week ...unless they absolutely have to. It has nothing to do with a stadium.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You understand that Super Bowl cities are basically picked because they're tourist attractions, right? Stephen Ross is possibly the worst owner in sports, but Miami hosts a Super Bowl every other year. Why? Because people like to spend a week enjoying Miami weather and "culture" before the game is played... Tom Benson wasn't the best owner pre-Drew Brees, and he got a Super Bowl at the run down Superdome on a regular rotation. Why? Because New Orleans is crazy fun city that people want to go to. The league hasn't even played a regular season game in Las Vegas yet, but the league is lining up to do anything and everything in Vegas. Why? Because Vegas.

Nobody WANTS to go to Pittsburgh for a week ...unless they absolutely have to. It has nothing to do with a stadium.

Pittsburgh is nice. I hate Pitt and was hoping the city was as grimy as I envisioned it. But it’s a cool city. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 6:12 PM, patriotsheatyan said:

He has missed the playoffs twice in a row. 2018 was seen as embarrassing while last season was seen as impressive to even go 8-8, but narratives can change quickly. 

If they go 8-8 again, where does that put him? If they regress to 5-11 is he safe? 

What would it take for him to get fired over the next few seasons?

When's the last time the Steelers fired a head coach? And how many losing seasons did that coach have before being fired?

Once you google the answers to those two questions, you'll begin to understand he has quite a bit of job security.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pittsburgh is nice. I hate Pitt and was hoping the city was as grimy as I envisioned it. But it’s a cool city. 

It's still not Vegas, Miami or New Orleans. I'm sure it's ok, but nobody thinks to themselves "I'm totes having my bachelor party in Pittsburgh..."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ET80 said:

THAT'S bad ownership, not a group of owners that has kept a team relevant for four decades...

The Chief kept them relevant when he hired Chuck Noll and Pittsburgh went and won 4 Super Bowls in 6 years during the 1970s.  

That kind of impact made them the most well known football team in the world.  

That's the reason why Pittsburgh hasn't made the playoffs for two straight seasons, yet the NFL keeps putting them on primetime.  

It's all about that original 70s super team.  

Dan Rooney inherited the franchise's success from his father, and Art Rooney II inherited it from his father.  

In the cold hard reality, those two really haven't done much to improve the Steelers franchise.  

Kevin Colbert is mainly responsible for drafting and assembling the teams that won Super Bowl XL and XLIII (and made it to XLV).  

He's the reason why Pittsburgh has been remained relevant for the last 20 years, not the Rooneys.  

That's also why Pittsburgh never even had a GM before Colbert.  

On 3/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, lolsurebro said:

Care to elaborate?

Oh, I don't know....

Blatantly cheating on the field, stupidly criticizing refs during a press conference and rightfully getting fined for it, and letting one of his players get away with taping his discussions in the locker room.  

Tomlin has absolutely no authority in Pittsburgh at all.  

Roethlisberger has so much more power than he does.