Free agency is here, thoughts, news, rumors.

Dolphinmeister

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

I don’t hate the signings, but I question the price.  I guess we are gambling that Lawson plays like he did in 2018 and Flowers continues to play like he did last season.  If we manage to bring in Trent Williams to play next to Flowers on a 3 yr deal then I like the Flowers move a whole lot better.  I suppose it’s reasonable to believe Flores is the right Coach to get the most out of Lawson too.

I'm trying not to get caught up in any AAV figures.  It's the number of years that are important right now.  Fins have tons of cash to spend right now, and as long as it comes off the books by the time they (hopefully) need to pay all their draft pick hits in 4-5 years, it should be fine.

17 minutes ago, Emerica said:

So we have the two highest paid CBs in the league. Not sure how we should feel about this?

Gotta wonder what Howard’s status is and if he gets dealt at some point. Lions possibly ?

I wouldn’t rule out a package of Howard and #5 for #3, but I’m leaning more towards we stay put at #5 and both Tua and Herbert are available.  I also wouldn’t rule out some type of trade involving Howard to the Redskins, possibly having something to do with Trent Williams and or #5 for #2.  Nevertheless I think the biggest possibility is we will go into the 2020 season with Howard on the roster.  Two pro bowl level CB’s would go a long ways towards turning around an atrocious Defense.

1 hour ago, Emerica said:

I have PTSD. Last time we went all-in like this it didn’t turn out so good.

True, but last time was very different than now. This time will be supported with a massive amount of draft picks. And no Mike Wallace or Suh contracts to drag a whole team down supporting one player. 

Lawson played for Miami’s D Line coach. Signed as an all around DE not a 15 sack guy. Sets the edge against the run and will top out at 8-10 sacks a year. 

Van Noy is a culture signing. Miami can afford to pay him to come in and set the tone for 3 years and teach the young bucks how to win. 

Jones has connections to the coaching staff as well. Praised his character, work ethic and flexibility in coverage. Remember, he was drafted as a safety. If he slows down in 2-3 years, you can slide him to FS.  

Flowers will play OG. It’s a 2 year deal really. Not much risk. 

Ogbah is a one year prove it deal essentially. 

Remember, Miami had $100m to spend and that was with $12m is dead cap. They’ll have good money to spend in 2021 as well. 

Miami has to spend the money. There are rules set forth to ensure that money is spent. All this money can essentially come off the books after 2021. Hitting the reset button has allowed Miami to front load deals and gives them awesome flexibility in the future.  

• Like 1

Like the moves so far, seem solid. They haven't broken the bank "Suh Style". With the way free agency is going, I hope they refrain from moving up in the draft. If Grier believes Tua and/or Herbert is the guy, one or the other will be available at 5. I don't see anyone leap frogging at this point (aside from Chargers) with Carolina signing Bridgewater. Though I think you at least put it out there that you are willing to trade down to see if there is any interest, plus you potentially learn who may jump in front of you. 

14 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Waiting news on Karras

20 Jones

15 KVN

10 Lawson

10 Flowers

7.5 Ogbah

5 Jordan

3 Fejedelem

3? Kugier-Hill

Year by year $ not available but I got maybe ~ 73M spent so far. Room for 1 more good player

Both OTC and Spotrac have the following out so far for 2020 cap hits:

Byron Jones - $14 million 

KVN - $6.025 million

Flowers - $5 million

Grugier-Hill - $3 million

Fejedelem - $2.25 million

The don't have Lawson, Ogbah, or Howard yet.  But if those 3 take up $23 million, that's still well over $50 million in space left after Reshad Jones and Albert Wilson are cut.