? Week 3 GDT @ Panthers - Noon CST - Three And Out?

Dome

20 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I think the Vikings defense is better than the Panthers. They went up against our offense and the Steelers in back to back weeks so the stats might not reflect it. However the Panthers have had bad teams in Buffalo and the 49ers. Not to say they aren't a tough defense but it's no different than going up against the Vikings defense which if we capitalized on our redzone chances could have had a pretty good game offensively.

I think this is our easiest game so far this season and is our best chance to get a win

Fair assessment. Nice.

46 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

Yes, I'm seeing a low score on both sides with Saints squeaking out a win. Or the Panthers put up 40 on us and we manage about 20 points. Who knows anymore lol

Right? Talk about the Jekyll & Hyde of the NFL. We own it!!!

What I see is a average offense in NOLA that most believe will eventually break out ... I think they are what they are and will be like what weve seen for the majority of the season. Sure they will have a few moments in the sun and help this team to a few wins but in the end it will end up and average offense thats camouflaged but gauddy stats aided but the leauges worst defense.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

What I see is a average offense in NOLA that most believe will eventually break out ... I think they are what they are and will be like what weve seen for the majority of the season. Sure they will have a few moments in the sun and help this team to a few wins but in the end it will end up and average offense thats camouflaged but gauddy stats aided but the leauges worst defense.

I would agree thus far in many regards we have been average on offense, but on the verge of more. We have moved the ball well for the most part. However we just haven't capitalized on several promising drives. The belief that we will eventually break out is also a valid thought to have. We have Max Unger finally getting back to full speed off of injury, we have a great LT in Terron Armstead coming back from injury soon, and we have a great RT in Zach Strief coming back soon. We also have a Willie Snead coming back who has been a key guy in keeping drives going the past couple seasons. This mean more time for Brees, and more holes in the run game for 3 talented RB's. So yes there is reason for optimism that the offense can break out.

I get that logic guys... I really do and I completely understand why some Saints fans point to those reasons for optimism. For me though its at what point do you draw the line in the sand with this coaching staff (or head coach i should say) and say enough! NO MORE OF THE SAME OLD TIRED EXCUSES!!!

Were injuried, our players didn't pan out, weve had some tough breaks... Sean Payton is all about accountability from his players but whos holding him accountable? Time for some checks and balances within this orginazation. 

18 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I get that logic guys... I really do and I completely understand why some Saints fans point to those reasons for optimism. For me though its at what point do you draw the line in the sand with this coaching staff (or head coach i should say) and say enough! NO MORE OF THE SAME OLD TIRED EXCUSES!!!

Were injuried, our players didn't pan out, weve had some tough breaks... Sean Payton is all about accountability from his players but whos holding him accountable? Time for some checks and balances within this orginazation. 

I'm all for wanting Payton gone, but it has little to do with offensive reasons.  If we do wind up being an average offense this year, well it's been a good run.  How many other teams have ever managed to keep an elite offense around for an entire decade with almost no down years?  Brees is old, and may or may not be capable of making all the throws still.

I reserve judgement on this offense though, until I see more.  We opened the season @ Vikings, which was always gonna be a really tough game.  We had injuries and suspensions, and still moved the ball against them decently.  We just sucked in the red zone.  The Patriots game was also going to be tougher than people thought.  Belichick had a long week to prepare while we had a short one, and Belichick is brutal after a loss.

I tend to agree that Panthers defense is being overrated right now.  They're good, but they played two terrible offenses.  I suppose we'll see how it goes.

8 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I'm all for wanting Payton gone, but it has little to do with offensive reasons.  If we do wind up being an average offense this year, well it's been a good run.  How many other teams have ever managed to keep an elite offense around for an entire decade with almost no down years?  Brees is old, and may or may not be capable of making all the throws still.

I reserve judgement on this offense though, until I see more.  We opened the season @ Vikings, which was always gonna be a really tough game.  We had injuries and suspensions, and still moved the ball against them decently.  We just sucked in the red zone.  The Patriots game was also going to be tougher than people thought.  Belichick had a long week to prepare while we had a short one, and Belichick is brutal after a loss.

I tend to agree that Panthers defense is being overrated right now.  They're good, but they played two terrible offenses.  I suppose we'll see how it goes.

Yes I agree that this weeks game will tell us alot about our offense and the Panthers defense. However will we then resort to saying that the Panthers defense is for real if they shut us down? Or if we explode on them will you forget that you considered them to be overrated in the first place?

Still... My beef with Payton has much more to do with his abitiles as a HC more So than a offensive play caller. Even in his pressers he seems so out of touch with what hes saying compared to whats hes said and done in the recent past its actually comical.

We feel like we’re building the right (team), putting the right pieces in place to do that. I think more than anything else, that sense of urgency of improving each week.

The product on the field says your not.

I would say the other common theme (is) we have missed on a handful of defensive players in the draft.

But yet you feel your putting the right people in place???

There’s never going to be the coordinator’s defense himself. It’s going to be the Saints defense, number one. Number two, from a personnel standpoint how we, and what we pay attention to. And firsthand making sure that it’s something I’m comfortable with in regards to personnel and making sure that we’ve asked the right questions so we know the player can learn and we know the player can sit in this role. I think that process recently has served us very well.”

So in other words you do and will continue to meddle with the defense and with personnel you make sure you ask the right questions to make sure the player can learn and fill his role on the team and you feel that has serves you well...

Remind me why you just traded Stephone Anthony coach???

The guy is grasping at straws.

10 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

"There’s never going to be the coordinator’s defense himself. It’s going to be the Saints defense, number one"

Maybe one day it should just be the coordinator's defense because this "Saints defense" is basically non existent. He's basically saying "the defense will never be good, I won't allow it".

4 minutes ago, NS922 said:

Maybe one day it should just be the coordinator's defense because this "Saints defense" is basically non existent. He's basically saying "the defense will never be good, I won't allow it".

He's completely incompetent about defensive matters.  It really boggles the mind how an NFL head coach who has studied football all his life can be so clueless about football.  I understand his offensive focus, and I even agree with it, but it doesn't work if your defense always alternates between worst in the league and worst in the history of the NFL.  He needs to be an offensive coordinator and that's simply a fact.  He's not a head coach, he just lucked up on both an elite QB and a few years of decent defense to get a superbowl.  Without either of those things, he would've been canned long ago.

Payton was the guy who delivered this franchise there moment in the sun and it bought him a lot of leeway with ownership and managment but with a continued downward spiral this season Payton SHOULD use up any good faith he has left. 

However ill be the first to admit that Tom Benson will only look at this in dollars and cents and not wins and losses. Benson will not want to eat the last years of Paytons contract and he knows the value of his franchise will take a hit without Drew Brees.

I think one thing that keeps getting lost in this whole defensive disaster in New Orleans is what took place in 2014...

When Payton returned from his Bounty suspension he was a different coach. He fired Spags and hired Ryan but he slowly but surly became more and more meddling within the daily operations of the defense. Maybe it was do to the fact of what happened with Greg Williams but even after a very good 2013 defensive output for the Saints under Ryan, heading into 2014 Payton forced Ryan into running this single high safety defense and yes it was Payton who clammored for Byrd from Buffalo to star in it. Ryan resisted behind the scenes and it all eventually fell apart. Dennis Allen was brought in and we all knew what was coming. Now Allen is burdened with the task of making this idea Payton has for a defense work and Byrd has been replaced by rookie Marcus Williams. 

We still suck, Allen like Ryan before him is failing, the players continue to be confused and Saints fans need to be asking... Why do we continue to run a defense Sean Payton wants instead of allowing the men being paid to coach defense to do what they specialize in?

What were seeing now is not Dennis Allens defense. Its the idea of defense according to Sean Payton with Allens spin on it ... Payton has Allen polishing a turd.

Yes, and that's why it's been the worst defense in NFL history and Payton needs to go.  You can't tell me that Spags, Rob Ryan, and Dennis Allen are such bad coaches, that all three of them have had the worst defense of all time.  After 3 DCs it's clear the problem is not the DC.  Now I'm not saying we would have been a top ten unit consistently, but Payton is what's keeping this defense from being average-below average instead of historically bad.  An average defense and we almost certainly make the playoffs the last three years considering how many games we lost within 3-7 points.

16 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, and that's why it's been the worst defense in NFL history and Payton needs to go.  You can't tell me that Spags, Rob Ryan, and Dennis Allen are such bad coaches, that all three of them have had the worst defense of all time.  After 3 DCs it's clear the problem is not the DC.  Now I'm not saying we would have been a top ten unit consistently, but Payton is what's keeping this defense from being average-below average instead of historically bad.  An average defense and we almost certainly make the playoffs the last three years considering how many games we lost within 3-7 points.

You hit the nail on the head... 3 straight DC's with the worst defense in the league. Reguardless if Payton denies forcing these guys to run his particular defense, he still was the guy who hired these guys in the end so either way Payton has failed this franchise and Drew Brees and he should pay for it with his job.

Hypothetical question for everyone...

Say the Saints continue to loose and Payton is shipped out of town. The Saints end up picking in the top 3.

Would you rather see the saints hire a young offensive mind and draft a young QB like Darnold, Rosen or Allen?

Or

Hire a defensive minded coach and go with a top dynamic defensive stud like Arden Key?

Archived