Bills Sign Josh Norman to 1 year deal

soflbillsfan

Bills have quietly brought Norman in for a visit back in February and the news broke after he left. He then met with several other teams but felt this was the best fit as it is a familiar coaching staff and has Tre to help out. Making him now a #2 Corner rather then the #1. This means that Kevin Johnson who I thought had a solid year with the Bills will no longer be a part of. Lei Wallace will be getting the ERFA tag and will compete to start with Norman this year. The deal is only a 1 year 6 mil, with 2 mil more in incentives. I am not a big fan of this but it seems like the trend the bills have by signing veteran corners on a 1 year deal with more upside and minimal risk. 

Edit: From what I have been reading it seems that Beane felt that Kevin Johnson price tag was more then what they were willing to offer him which is what happened with EJ Gaines a few years ago and look how well that turned out for him. Which is why the Bills signed Norman as they believe McDermott can revive his career that he was so successful in back in 2015. He is still 32 years old and will still have to compete against Levi for the #2 role.

Edited by soflbillsfan

Per Dan Graziano at ESPN:

Josh Norman's Bills contract: $2.8M salary ($1.5 guaranteed), $1.5M roster bonus paid on the 5th day of the league year. Gets another $500K if he's on 53-man on Week 1. Then $200K workout bonus, up to $1M in per-game roster bonuses, incentives based on PT, INTs, Pro Bowl All-Pro.

I like this pick up granted Norman is no longer a # 1 CB and seems to have declined but with the Bills IMO having a pro bowler in White and IMO two pro bowlers in Poyer and Hyde at the back end and I'm a big fan of Johnson in the slot.  Norman should be able to hold down the #2 spot with those players around not to mention our very good to elite LB'ers the question is can we get pressure on the QB with our front??  Time will tell but I like the chances with Hughes, Oliver, and Allison now Star is a run stuffer but hopefuly on 3rd down in obvious pass situations Phillips is healthy enough to get the pressure up the middle.  I"m also not counting out Levi Wallace he could beat out Norman kid can play it will all come down to who wins the spot at #2 but either of them will be cheap options IMO