Superstars are far more greedy than the owners

SkippyX

Both these sides are crazy greedy. You’ve got the .001% and the .000001% of society in a Mexican standoff and I’m supposed to be invested in one side or the other? I could work my current job for the rest of my life and not make what an average to above average QB (Dak) could make in one game, living the dream of millions of Americans. Shame on all these dudes for painting themselves as victims and shame on anyone who sees them as such. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Both these sides are crazy greedy.

Everyone is crazy greedy. If your job were to make you the highest paid person in your industry, would you say "no thanks, there are 5,000 people who do my job better than me, so I don't deserve to make that much..."

I'm absolutely certain you're not saying that. You're going to cash those checks, like anyone else would. 

I'm not faulting Dak for getting the Cowboys to negotiate against themselves. Furthermore, I wouldn't fault the Cowboys for saying "Welp, we tried in good faith, here's your franchise tag..."

• Like 8

Don't see how you could argue the players are more greedy when there are literally owners who do the absolute least amount of work and spend the least amount of money possible but still want to get more money while contributing nothing to the league.

Theres 0 reason the owners cant do a 50/50 Revenue split. They just won't.

The post-career benefits should be out of this world, instead, this CBA is apparently making them worse.

The entire CBA is designed to get the 60% week week pay guys to vote yes and make the votes of the high paid vets irrelevant. 

The greedy people here are the owners.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Them going bankrupt is ridiculous. Most of us make under 100K a year, hell probably under 50K if we're being honest and none seem to have issues supporting their families.

Even after taxes a 3 year life span of the average player thats still around 500-600K during your tenure, money some will never see. Not to mention most are either college graduates or close to finishing or at least have the means to earn a degree.

Point is if you cant manage the money you do make then you dont deserve more of it.

PREACH!!! Them going broke shows just how dumb they are and deserve no sympathy.

23 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

PREACH!!! Them going broke shows just how dumb they are and deserve no sympathy.

There was a subsection of players who were swindled by various scams and Ponzi schemes; A guy like Bernie Madoff was able to fool the SEC for decades to the tune of several hundred billion dollars, so I'm not going to fault a football player (who is not a certified CPA or financial analyst) for getting zapped on something that was supposed to protect and grow their wealth. The NFLPA is supposed to vet these people out, the agent is supposed to do the same - but it's clearly not happening well enough.

I'm also going to feel sympathy for a guy like Trent Richardson, who had goodness knows how many people in his family just bleed him dry. A lot of players are nothing more than lottery tickets, and once the numbers hit, every one comes back with a guilt trip to bilk money out of the guy - and I'm not talking about a cousins' uncles' brothers' wives' sister or something like that - I'm talking mothers and fathers, people who you can't easily say no to. Former Raiders CB Phillip Buchanon wrote a book (New Money: Staying Rich) where he outlined how his mom demanded a check for $1mm from him for "taking care of him" as he grew up (which is kind of the main job when you're a parent). Buchanon cut her a check, but do you think that was the end of it? Nope... not even close. Once, Buchanon bought her a house and shortly realized he was overextend, and suggested to sell her home and move into a small house - but it would allow him to give her a steady allowance to cover all bills. Her response? "What am I supposed to do without my 2nd dining room?" Good on Buchanon for seeing the mom for what she was - but how many people (football player or otherwise) can look at their own mother and make such a distinction? How frequently do mothers/fathers/brothers/sisters like this pop up in the NFL? 

Guys who go bankrupt because they bought 25 Bentleys and pay child support for 16 kids with 14 women, yeah - zero remorse. But, guys who we're essentially extorted by actual family and trusted advisors? I can't point my finger at them and say "shame on you..."

• Like 9

Just now, ET80 said:

There was a subsection of players who were swindled by various scams and Ponzi schemes; A guy like Bernie Madoff was able to fool the SEC for decades to the tune of several hundred billion dollars, so I'm not going to fault a football player (who is not a certified CPA or financial analyst) for getting zapped on something that was supposed to protect and grow their wealth. The NFLPA is supposed to vet these people out, the agent is supposed to do the same - but it's clearly not happening well enough.

I'm also going to feel sympathy for a guy like Trent Richardson, who had goodness knows how many people in his family just bleed him dry. A lot of players are nothing more than lottery tickets, and once the numbers hit, every one comes back with a guilt trip to bilk money out of the guy - and I'm not talking about a cousins' uncles' brothers' wives' sister or something like that - I'm talking mothers and fathers, people who you can't easily say no to. Former Raiders CB Phillip Buchanon wrote a book (New Money: Staying Rich) where he outlined how his mom demanded a check for $1mm from him for "taking care of him" as he grew up (which is kind of the main job when you're a parent). Buchanon cut her a check, but do you think that was the end of it? Nope... not even close. Once, Buchanon bought her a house and shortly realized he was overextend, and suggested to sell her home and move into a small house - but it would allow him to give her a steady allowance to cover all bills. Her response? "What am I supposed to do without my 2nd dining room?" Good on Buchanon for seeing the mom for what she was - but how many people (football player or otherwise) can look at their own mother and make such a distinction? How frequently do mothers/fathers/brothers/sisters like this pop up in the NFL? 

Guys who go bankrupt because they bought 25 Bentleys and pay child support for 16 kids with 14 women, yeah - zero remorse. But, guys who we're essentially extorted by actual family and trusted advisors? I can't point my finger at them and say "shame on you..."

Absolutely! Great take.

If you guys haven't seen the 30 for 30 Broke, I'd highly recommend. I remember at some point Bernie Kosar said that he was paying 85 cell phone bills because he had family in need/couldn't say no, to go with failed investments/restaurants, etc. Also, Bernie is clearly "not right", whether it's due to alcoholism or major brain damage, that's up for debate, but it's a factor as well.

• Like 2

Maybe the league should just fully guarantee rookie contracts and put them in trust funds. 

With bankruptcy statistics being what they are it is probably the right thing to do. If players want to be able to waste millions, earn a second contract.

Edited by patriotsheatyan

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Absolutely! Great take.

If you guys haven't seen the 30 for 30 Broke, I'd highly recommend. I remember at some point Bernie Kosar said that he was paying 85 cell phone bills because he had family in need/couldn't say no, to go with failed investments/restaurants, etc. Also, Bernie is clearly "not right", whether it's due to alcoholism or major brain damage, that's up for debate, but it's a factor as well.

Trent Richardson was once paying for 27 different Netflix accounts a month. For all of us who use Netflix, we know you can set up multiple users under a single account - this wasn't the case, this was 27 different accounts, each being charged. 

The effects of this are compounded, as Richardson was a bust - there was no 2nd contract to come help him out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Everyone is crazy greedy. If your job were to make you the highest paid person in your industry, would you say "no thanks, there are 5,000 people who do my job better than me, so I don't deserve to make that much..."

I'm absolutely certain you're not saying that. You're going to cash those checks, like anyone else would. 

I'm not faulting Dak for getting the Cowboys to negotiate against themselves. Furthermore, I wouldn't fault the Cowboys for saying "Welp, we tried in good faith, here's your franchise tag..."

I’m not faulting them for being greedy. I’m faulting the victim mentality that goes along with athletes or owners that are multi multi millionaires. The rest of civilization doesn’t feel sorry for you guys. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Maybe the league should just fully guarantee rookie contracts and put them in trust funds. 

The Players Association would have a field day with anything that could be perceived as the league withholding funds from players. 

I don't disagree with the premise, but I don't see it as realistic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Trent Richardson was once paying for 27 different Netflix accounts a month. For all of us who use Netflix, we know you can set up multiple users under a single account - this wasn't the case, this was 27 different accounts, each being charged. 

The effects of this are compounded, as Richardson was a bust - there was no 2nd contract to come help him out. 

Yep!

And I feel no sympathy for Vince Young, who spent MILLIONS of dollars at the CHEESECAKE FACTORY (seriously?!?!?!) and buying people shots, but the drain of the family dynamic is real for some of these players. Saying "No" isn't a perceived option for some of them.

• Like 1

Just now, NateDawg said:

I’m not faulting them for being greedy. I’m faulting the victim mentality that goes along with athletes or owners that are multi multi millionaires. The rest of civilization doesn’t feel sorry for you guys. 

Ohhhh, gotcha gotcha. Yeah - outside of some specific examples, I agree with you.

• Like 2