Superstars are far more greedy than the owners

SkippyX

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Don't see how you could argue the players are more greedy when there are literally owners who do the absolute least amount of work and spend the least amount of money possible but still want to get more money while contributing nothing to the league.

This is a huge problematic mindset with the world today. Just because you don't see the work they do, you assume they do nothing. You think CEO's just sit on their *** all day? No they work their butt off. It's just not blue collar so I guess it doesn't count in your mind.

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

Yep!

And I feel no sympathy for Vince Young, who spent MILLIONS of dollars at the CHEESECAKE FACTORY (seriously?!?!?!) and buying people shots, but the drain of the family dynamic is real for some of these players. Saying "No" isn't a perceived option for some of them.

VY once bought EVERY ticket on a Southwest flight, so he and his group could fly with nobody else on the plane. If you're considering 27 rows with six seats per row - and a conservative ticket price of $175 - you're looking at a one way expense in excess of $28,000. 

A NetJets account is booked in 25 hour increments, starting at $145,000. Assuming a three hour flight, you'd find a NetJets account to be significantly cheaper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

This is a huge problematic mindset with the world today. Just because you don't see the work they do, you assume they do nothing. You think CEO's just sit on their *** all day? No they work their butt off. It's just not blue collar so I guess it doesn't count in your mind.

Sir, do you think Mike Brown is putting in 16 hours a day running the Bengals?

Just now, Malik said:

Sir, do you think Mike Brown is putting in 16 hours a day running the Bengals?

Do you think even 10% of players are putting in 16 hour days? If you do, you're lying to yourself.

I'm sorry people have chosen to be a Bengals fans, they have my condolences. Dude is cheap, but there's nothing to assert he's truly lazy.

To take a less cynical view, maybe the superstars just think they left some leverage on the table? IIRC one of the players in support of the deal says that they got every thing that they asked for. To me, and I’m guessing some of the players, that means they didn’t ask for enough. If you walk into a car dealership and offer $2000 less than sticker and the salesman doesn’t even blink before saying deal, you’re going to assume you could have done a little better. 

In short:

Higher end players don't want to accept this deal because the addition of a 17th game is a bigger negative to them then the possible increased incentives they'd get. Even though this deal benefits the majority of players. 

Everyone. Is. Selfish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malik said:

Jerry Jones is an excellent owner though. I wouldn't say Jerry Jones is the norm for owners.

Likewise, I wouldn't say Mike Brown is the norm for owners. We both found the opposite ends of the spectrum, and I think we can both agree the other 30 owners are somewhere in between...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Do you think even 10% of players are putting in 16 hour days? If you do, you're lying to yourself.

I'm sorry people have chosen to be a Bengals fans, they have my condolences. Dude is cheap, but there's nothing to assert he's truly lazy.

The Bengals are by all measures a poorly ran franchise though. Everything from the scouting department to the practice facilities was underfunded until fairly recently. He is not putting anywhere near maximum investment into his team to yield the greatest results. A LOT of sports owners in American sports are perfectly happy getting the collectively bargaining checks.

Just now, Malik said:

The Bengals are by all measures a poorly ran franchise though. Everything from the scouting department to the practice facilities was underfunded until fairly recently. He is not putting anywhere near maximum investment into his team to yield the greatest results. A LOT of sports owners in American sports are perfectly happy getting the collectively bargaining checks.

I'm not disagreeing with you there. He's cheap/greedy/whatever-you-choose-to-call-it, that doesn't make him lazy though.

7 minutes ago, Malik said:

Jerry Jones is an excellent owner though. I wouldn't say Jerry Jones is the norm for owners.

Yep. The team presidents and GM's and everyone in the front office are putting in a lot of work, and Jerry is hands-on and does put in work on that end. But for most owners this is just passive income, not something they do because they want to/do put in real labor towards the product. Hell a solid quarter to third of NFL owners are trust fund kids who had these teams passed on to them from their parents without ever really having to work a day in their lives. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Yep. The team presidents and GM's and everyone in the front office are putting in a lot of work, and Jerry is hands-on and does put in work on that end. But for most owners this is just passive income, not something they do because they want to/do put in real labor towards the product. Hell a solid quarter to third of NFL owners are trust fund kids who had these teams passed on to them from their parents without ever really having to work a day in their lives. 

Right. Or they just like the idea of owning an professional sports team. There's only 92 (91 really considering no one owns the Packers) of them so it's a very exclusive club. The amount of owners that are actually obsessed with the day to day details of their organization is probably around 20 if we're being generous.