NFL/XFL/CFB and COVID-19

brushmyhair

Sporting events should continue, just with no live audience. This is an opportunity to try new enhanced television viewing features or options. I dont remember any other virus creating this type of universal effect on social landscapes. Does anyone else and if not why is COVID-19 so different? I mean they didnt all have vaccines right away or im assuming some still dont? This is not my wheelhouse.

Edited by Bearerofnews

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 6:33 PM, RuskieTitan said:

Survival of the fittest. Our species has long gotten lazy. Time to go back to our hunter-gatherer roots.

This is how Resident Evil and other zombie movies start out?

2 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Sporting events should continue, just with no live audience. This is an opportunity to try new enhanced television viewing features or options. I dont remember any other virus creating this type of universal effect on social landscapes. Does anyone else and if not why is COVID-19 so different? I mean they didnt all have vaccines right away or im assuming some still dont? This is not my wheelhouse.

I think it's a few factors.

1) Since many people display no symptoms to really mild symptoms it's easy to spread it.  Especially for young and fit people (athletes are especially so.)  Several big name soccer players have tested positive with no symptoms.  After the athletes play they go back to their homes, spread it, then those people spread it.  

2) It's not so much the lethality rate as the "requiring hospitalization" rate being relatively high.   I think I've read somewhere between 10-20%.  If you were the only person in the US to get this disease, this might not be so much of a problem, however this brings up the last point-

3) They don't want hospitals to be overloaded at the same time, like what happened in Italy.  They're trying to flatten the curve spread by limiting social interactions where there are lots of chances for spreading between people.  This is one advantage the US has over Italy in that they stopped sporting events earlier in their respective outbreak timeline.  If you have more people who needs o2 to breath or ecmo machines then we have, that death rate could raise, a lot, and it could also raise death rates for other sicknesses/injuries sustained if all the beds are taken by COVID victims.

• Like 5

Man, I don't think this is necessarily a death knell for the XFL, but it SUCKS for players. Guys like Josh Johnson who don't have a ton of time left but we're playing lights-out football. He COULD be a very viable NFL back-up, but I just think he wants to play at this point. Nelson Spruce was also just about to return from injury after missing weeks 4 & 5, but now will have an asterisk next to his name, as the cancellation of this season makes it official that this is his third season cut short by injury in four years. I wonder if people will remember Martez "Mr. Excitement" Carter. Cam Phillips has almost guaranteed an NFL roster spot with his dominant play, but many WRs haven't been able to make a consistent impact, as several teams' QB situations were either still unsettled (Defenders, Dragons, Renegades) or only just getting settled (Guardians, Vipers) regardless of whether or not they were actually effective.

Also, PJ Walker's hype may die down with only five games to his name, but the NFL will still assuredly come knocking. The XFL HAS to make sure it can retain him and keep their rabid following in Houston. It's a shame that St. Louis didn't get more games, as the fans there were crazy, as well. My uncle does NOT follow the XFL as he hates Vince, but he said that he can't escape league coverage. He also said that he's been hearing "Kaw-Kaw is the Law" all over the place. DC's fans were also super strong. Really, LA and Tampa were the only weak links as far as fans go.

• Like 1

Here is some information that I saw on Instagram and wanted to pass it along.  I tried posting the Instagram post but it had several pictures and wasn't very clear, so I'll just retype it here.  It was posted by Jeri Ryan of Star Trek fame, who is obviously not a healthcare professional.  I have to admit that I do not follow her on Instagram for her sage wisdom on the subject of medicine.  :D  She reposted the words of a guy on Facebook named Tom Dries.  These are allegedly the words of his neighbor, so take them for what they are worth.  He wrote:

"My neighbor is head of trauma at a local hospital and took the time to share this information for everyone.  It's honest and he is clearly qualified.  His name is Nathan Fredrick if you'd like to thank him. 

Good morning Facebook friends.  As the Medical Director of the Emergency Department of Unity Point Methodist Hospital, I have been studying this COVID-19 situation for weeks now.  After many hours of research on the topic, I have just written the pandemic response protocols for our emergency department.  As a medical director I get updates from the Illinois Department of Public Health  (IDPH) and the CDC multiple times a day.  My life for the past couple of weeks is consumed with this situation.

After reading many posts on here and multiple other sources I feel that I need to give you all some real data on the situation.  This is information that your physicians and health care providers use to make decisions.  So here we go.  I will keep most of the technical stuff to a minimum.  After you read this you will undoubtedly be the most educated person in the room on COVID-19 based on what I've seen lately. 

The biggest question out there:  How deadly is it??  Currently, the official number from the CDC is 3.4%.  Influenza A is 0.1%.  That's 34 times the death rate of the flu.  This number will undoubtedly change and most likely go down.  This is because there is a huge number of "ghost cases" out there with people that never seek care secondary to mild or "no" symptoms.  Most sources say it will be 2.3%-3% once all is said and done.  The current flu season is still ongoing and the CDC estimates that between 10,000 and 35,000 people have died in the US from the flu since October.  It will probably come in at about 22,000 deaths.  If you extrapolate that to COVID-19, that equals 575,000-750,000 deaths from COVID-19 (2.35-3% death rate x flu deaths).  To give you perspective, about 58,000 servicemen and women died in the Vietnam war (official dept of defense number).

The vast majority of deaths will occur in those over the age of 60 (about 85%).  Here are your chances of dying based on age alone:

Less than 60 - 0.9%
60-70 - 3.6%
70-79 - 8%
Greater than 80 - 14.8%

Adjusted for concomitant health issues:

Cardiovascular Disease - 10.5%
Diabetes - 7%
Chronic Respiratory Disease, Hypertension and Cancer - 6%

These are additive, so just if you have, say heart disease and diabetes you have about a 17% mortality rate, give or take.  These numbers change a little every day as data comes out of China, Italy, and Iran, but this is accurate as of [yesterday] morning. 

How sick will people be?
80% mild or no symptoms.
14% Severe disease.
6% critically ill (of these about 50% will die, thus the 3.4% death rate).

I have a lot more information regarding epidemiology, infection rates, length of time you are infectious, how long before you are infectious, length of time after infection before symptoms, etc.  I will not overload you on that. 

I think these numbers speak for themselves.  I hope this helps people understand why healthcare professionals are so concerned about this pandemic.  This information will change, but it is accurate as of [yesterday] morning.  Remember that science and facts don't care about your feelings, religion, or political party.  If you want credible information on this I would suggest visiting the CDC's website, as they have the best, most up-to-date information.

Follow the advice on staying safe in during this.  Stay away from large gatherings of people, etc.  Probably more than 70% of our population will get this eventually.  What we are trying to do as healthcare professionals is delay this as much as possible to spread that out over months in order to not overwhelm our delivery of medical care.  Remember that heart attacks, strokes, car accidents and all sorts of other health issues aren't on pause during this epidemic.  We as health care providers have a lot of work ahead of us and we need to stay open and effective for everyone's sake.

Cheers.

• Like 5

Realizing that not everyone here is a soccer fan, but this really doesn't require it, it just happens to be a special edition of a soccer podcast where the host interviews the Chair of Medicine from Nottingham University about COVID 19.  It's very matter-of-fact and no-nonsense.  And yes, they talk more specifically about the UK, but they do address what's going on over here as well.

• Like 2

Just curious on the status in everyones state. Here in California, shelves are empty in every store i been in vons, walmart, smart and final, food 4 less. Is this the case in most states, is everyone hysteria shopping? Wipes, toilet paper, water, hand sanitizer, etc?

28 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Just curious on the status in everyones state. Here in California, shelves are empty in every store i been in vons, walmart, smart and final, food 4 less. Is this the case in most states, is everyone hysteria shopping? Wipes, toilet paper, water, hand sanitizer, etc?

Experiencing the same here in central FL. Absolutely ridiculous 

42 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Yeah, people are being pretty ridiculous.  My sister told me she now has 180 rolls of toilet paper in her house.  SMH.

52 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Can confirm in Vegas. TP is gone. Bleach. Hand soap. Bottled water

• Like 2