Linebacking corps position battles

Dome

stephon-anthony.jpg

How do you guys see this playing out? I think AJ Klein wins the starting job at MLB. I think Robertson and Anthony will be used on early downs, one because Anthony is a see and sprint thumper and Robertson has a knack for finding the ballcarrier but also because this will help keep Ellerbe rested for 3rd down and hopefully healthy, I do feel he'll make the team even though he's getting older and he's always hurt. I hope we use Ellerbe primarily on passing downs, as I feel he's a better pass rusher and better in coverage than either Robertson or Anthony.

I still believe that Anthony possesses the most upside and potential of any linebacker on the roster and needs to be on the field in order for him to develop. However he isn't the best overall option at this point in time and he's best suited for the middle. Personally I'd like to see Anthony on the inside with Ellerbe at Will and Klein at Sam. I think we will see a lot less Big Nickel this year as the Sam positions reps will increase with Nolan onboard.

Well DP91...

Like we spoke about, it appears S.Anthony is getting his shot to start at WILL. Triplett has a report out talking about Payton hoping he can evolve at that position as Peat has at LG. It goes on to talk about how Payton has been impressed with Anthony at WILL after working with Nolan throughout this summer.

All sounds great and I'm hoping for the best but I also remember Payton being "impressed" with SJB in his last camp with us right before he was cut. 

59 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

All sounds great and I'm hoping for the best but I also remember Payton being "impressed" with SJB in his last camp with us right before he was cut. 

Saints Happy Hour Podcast talked about how Spiller got a TON of playing time in the preseason before he was cut. We'll see who's playing WILL in the 4th quarter. 

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

Saints Happy Hour Podcast talked about how Spiller got a TON of playing time in the preseason before he was cut. We'll see who's playing WILL in the 4th quarter. 

One thing that stands out to me about this and has for a few years is when I hear Payton talk around draft time about how they have a "clear vision" for these prospects... I just roll my eyes!

Since when have these visions become reality? Also, what does this say about our scouting dept and people in charge of player personnel? 

To top it all off out coaches... I mean majority of players we draft either don't work out or there consistently switched back and forth from the very position they were drafted for. There never allowed to develop and often times this team losses patience and rushes out to sign a FA further hampering any development. Then when there is a draft pick that actually develops into a solid player, he's often times eventually traded for more draft picks to help a defense in which the players picked fall into this vicious cycle of false development.

Am i the only one seeing this?

For the first 2 days of camp they had Anthony at WLB, T'eo at MLB and Klein at SLB 

In the nickel they had Klein move to MLB and T'eo left the field.

Anzalone was playing 2nd team, no mention of Robertson.

Source

43 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

For the first 2 days of camp they had Anthony at WLB, T'eo at MLB and Klein at SLB 

In the nickel they had Klein move to MLB and T'eo left the field.

Anzalone was playing 2nd team, no mention of Robertson.

Source

Payton said not to read too much into that but it does make sense... Klein openly admits his best two positions is Mike and Sam. Te'o is most familiar with Nolans approach and is a 2 down inside player. Klein has the versatility to kick inside to Mike in Nickel which is 70-80% of our defense anyway. Anthony is a logical fit at Will with the ability to play Mike if needed but he will need to fend off Robertson for the Will. Steps can run and hit better than CR but CR is a much better cover backer. We could see Steph on early downs at Will and CR in passing situations. Anzalone was drafted for his versatility to play all 3 positions which gives the Saints valuable depth and a backup plan if Steph falls on his face again.

Dennis Allen let a interesting tid bit slip today in his post presser after practice... Allen was speaking of Steph Anthony and the thought process of switching him over to the WILL. He said he wanted to put him over there and give him a chance to win a job and that Anthony will be competing with Anzalone for that WILL spot.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:04 PM, whodatworm23 said:

Dennis Allen let a interesting tid bit slip today in his post presser after practice... Allen was speaking of Steph Anthony and the thought process of switching him over to the WILL. He said he wanted to put him over there and give him a chance to win a job and that Anthony will be competing with Anzalone for that WILL spot.

I was reading today that Anzalone is pushing HARD for that starting spot. This says one of three things.

1. Anthony maybe just isn't as good as many of us hoped.

2. Anzalone is showing much more skill than anticipated.

3. All of our LBs are doo-doo and there isn't much separating them.

Personally hoping for #2. I really wanted Anthony to work out, but from what I have seen, Anzalone is much more well rounded. We do need more dynamic play at LB.

Archived