The Bengals Offense Under Bill Lazor

theJ

I'm guessing he's going to make the following set of changes:

• The 3 back rotation is done - Hill goes to the bench until there's an injury
  • The offense is a little more simplified by involving less players
  • Easier reads and throws at the beginning of the game to get Andy in a rhythm early

I'm hoping for the following changes

• More John Ross involvement, less Alex Erickson and Brandon Lafell
  • Joe Mixon as the primary back, Gio as the 3rd down back
  • More playaction and rollouts to keep Andy clean
  • Involve Hewitt or Kroft as chip blockers more frequently to help out the offensive line
  • If Tyler Eifert is healthy, more involvement from him on underneath stuff as the safety valve
  • Like 1

Definitely more shotgun.  Which puts Hill on the sidelines.  

Younger WRs, not LaFell, because our line doesn't give enough time for Brandon to get open.  More Ross, Malone and Boyd.   maybe Core.  Use Ross more like Antonio Brown, as I have been screaming since the draft.

faster tempo, as Lazor is a Chip Kelly disciple.  But won't play as fast as Kelly because the line doesn't have it in them to get gassed and not give up even more sacks.

More Hewitt, less Kroft.  Let him chip on the way out or stay in and help the line.

Morte play action, or RPO with Mixon, getting AJG a chance at more deep throws.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BathBengal said:

I heard he had the 3rd highest pass to run ratio with the Dolphins and Tannehill's only 4000 yard seasons came with Lazor so I think we'll pass the ball an awful lot which I like. 

I like it and I dont. We can help the pass offense by establishing a running game and giving Andy time with a play action. I expect to see Andy on more play action and roll outs this week. Get him comfortable. 

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I like it and I dont. We can help the pass offense by establishing a running game and giving Andy time with a play action. I expect to see Andy on more play action and roll outs this week. Get him comfortable. 

I think throwing more, and throwing more to Andy's strengths, will help him get out of his funk.

To Lazor's credit, that Miami team had Lamar Miller, and that was it.  That's not a guy you want to run 300+ times/year.  Even though he ran well.

However, he was also really pass happy with Buffalo in 2001/2002, and that team had Travis Henry at RB and crap for QB.  So if i had to bet one way or another, i'd probably lean toward this becoming a pass heavy team.  But we'll see.

If it were me I'd be running a mix of single back with Hewitt at H to be both a slot guy and a lead blocker with Mixon as the feature back, but I'd also heavily deploy a shotgun set with both Mixon and Gio on either side of Dalton with Ross and Green outwide and have a mix of Eifert and Boyd in the slot (Eifert at TE in the single back set).  I'd use the 2 RB to give options of flat/wheel routes for quick dump offs or to keep them in as extra blockers if we want to take a shot deep.  Obviously I'd use more sets, but these would be my main two packages.  Lots of motion involved as well, especially since Gio can line up in the slot and run routes some.

In my opinion any OC that can't adjust their "system" to the talent around them has no business working in the NFL.  You design your offense to the talent you have, not shoehorn players and draft picks into one set way of running things.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 7:01 AM, theJ said:

I'm guessing he's going to make the following set of changes:

• The 3 back rotation is done - Hill goes to the bench until there's an injury
  • The offense is a little more simplified by involving less players
  • Easier reads and throws at the beginning of the game to get Andy in a rhythm early

I'm hoping for the following changes

• More John Ross involvement, less Alex Erickson and Brandon Lafell
  • Joe Mixon as the primary back, Gio as the 3rd down back
  • More playaction and rollouts to keep Andy clean
  • Involve Hewitt or Kroft as chip blockers more frequently to help out the offensive line
  • If Tyler Eifert is healthy, more involvement from him on underneath stuff as the safety valve

I'm expecting a quicker pace offense.  A change in tempo can help keep defenses confused versus what we do today which is take the play clock down to the last second every single play...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'm expecting a quicker pace offense.  A change in tempo can help keep defenses confused versus what we do today which is take the play clock down to the last second every single play...

That's a good one.  I saw someone mentioned he likes to run high tempo offenses.  Andy seems to do pretty good in a high tempo offense.  Not sure how much of that we'll see this Sunday, but i can see that evolving over the course of the season.