Free Agency

RamRod

42 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Probably for accounting purposes.

Yup, if he retires before contract's end, we'll have to eat the cap hits for any prorated bonus monies, but we'll do it in the years they're assigned to as prorations, they won't compound and accelerate as they would if he were cut or traded.  And in that instance we'd still get the relief of not being on the hook for his salaries because he wouldn't be there/playing to collect weekly checks.

Just now, The LBC said:

Yup, if he retires before contract's end, we'll have to eat the cap hits for any prorated bonus monies, but we'll do it in the years they're assigned to as prorations, they won't compound and accelerate as they would if he were cut or traded.  And in that instance we'd still get the relief of not being on the hook for his salaries because he wouldn't be there/playing to collect weekly checks.

No, I think we get a credit for the prorated bonuses. That's what happened with Weddle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No, I think we get a credit for the prorated bonuses. That's what happened with Weddle.

I think it depends on the specific language, what kind of bonuses they are, but either way, it’s likely all for accounting. I’d expect him to play this year and next, then either hang me up, or we cut him. 

While I didn't like the Robinson move as much as the Floyd move, I will say that I like that we're taking shots on young, talented players who haven't reached their ceilings. I think it shows foresight. We're not chasing aging players to try and go all in again. We're adding some guys who might stick around if they overperform their contracts. If they don't, we let them walk on relatively low-risk deals.

• Like 2