Free Agency

RamRod

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Even less than I thought it would be. Guy wants to win one more time before he hangs it up

And I honestly believe we have a chance at that next season. Seeing alot of doom and gloom on Rams twitter; and obviously other fan bases think we're in complete rebuild mode given the turnover. But if you look at our defense last year, it was Jekyl and Hyde. I really like the Floyd and Robinson moves and think they will sure up the run defense. Our secondary should be very strong and AD will get a pass rush no matter what is thrown at him.  

I expect us to take a LB early on in the draft; possibly two. And a name that isn't getting much love is Natrez Patrick. If Staley likes interchangeable LB's then he is perfect. Came in as an ILB undrafted and then got bumped outside and thrived in the preseason making some a few plays that popped off the screen.

Offensively, I still think we need a LG (Andrus Peat?). Havenstein, Evans, and Edwards should have good competition and fight it out in camp for best two. I think we take a RB before the 5th round this year to compliment Henderson.

Our offseason is NOT done by any means. Could extend Ramsey, could sign Derek Wolfe or Shelby Harris from Denver. 

"I think we aint done yet"- Marcus Peters

• Like 2

Honestly I love our squad much more this year. Simply because we won’t be relying on a broken down old warhorse.. Time for Mcbee and Darrell to get loose. Love how Tyler came alive at the end. Kupp should be much better 2 years removed from the ACL(it’s a fact that players play much better after year 1). Like Goff had his up and downs and learning curve last year.. Ashawns a really big boi! He could eat up 2 guys in the pass and specially in the run.. 

With Aaron Donald we’ll have a pass rush.. Doesn’t matter whose thrown out there! He’s that special and good.. 

Our team is so much better.. Just gotta add the kinks and depth.. Would feel better with Jalen being locked down.. Dudes one of the best corners I’ve seen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And costing ourselves a comp pick with Gordon? Yuck.

2 things

A) I bet that he is looking for much more than a 1 year deal

B) I could see us letting him know that he has that offer out there from us, but in more of a Suh situation, where he doesnt fnd what he wants, gets past the Comp formula deadline, and he can do a 1 year deal in a high powered offense to try to cash in the next

So, I'm going to project onto the future here and aim at potential silver-linings:

- Yes, it sucks that Gurley is gone.  Possible silver-lining: In retrospect, McVay may have become too depedant/fixated on Gurley (i.e. "I have to preserve him," etc.) which caused that scale back in his touches, limited the deploying of Todd in the screen game which was our damn bread and butter in 2018 when we were soaking the rest of the league (not named Chicago Bears).  Losing Gurley forces McVay's hand in having to adapt - and we've seen reason to have some confidence in his ability to adjust when he knows what clearly needs to be adjusted.  This is one of the bigger reasons why I was of the mindset, when Todd was still ours, to just run him into the ground and let the chips fall where they may.  If McVay was going to use him as a crutch then lean on that crutch.  If ithe crutch breaks, you at least know what you have and you can make the clean adjustment; the uncertainty did Sean no favors.

- Barring any other significant signings (which is fairly safe to bet on), the likelihood of how we approach the draft based off who we brought in for visits (while we could) and what holes we've filled/created is starting to take shape.  I'd say if he's there at 52, Josh Uche can probably be penciled in for the pick.  He has ceiling to grow into, already showed quality floor doing all the things that a Fangio-styled scheme calls for from it's OLB's at the Senior Bowl, and we've had connections with him.

With Blythe and Whit coming back, while I certainly wouldn't be surprised, I'm not expecting our first pick off the board to be an OL (unless there isn't an OLB or ILB we're super keen on and Les trades back).  With Edwards having shown he can hold his own at guard and also having Evans at our disposal, Blythe is freed up to push Allen for the starting spot at center (and much as some of us may want them to, I don't think I can see them cutting bait on a center they're only 2 years removed from spending a 3rd round pick on when they elevated him to starter in Y2; if he's put in a competition and beaten for the spot though, much easier to believe they relegate him to backup detail).

My gut tells me we'll probably target - and take - Davis-Gaither ahead of where folks have been seeing him go in some mocks (which will make people interpret him as a reach - kind of the same way people did with JJJ).  Currently my bet is 3rd round (possibly the comp pick versus the natural pick).  Maybe we chance waiting until the 4th for him, hoping his recent foot surgery (February) to repair a stress fracture pushes him down other teams' board some, but we'll see how much Les wants to tempt fate.  I've yet to be able to arrive at a straight comp I'm comfortable with on ADG, but I see fragments of several players in his game, and those players were all prospects I was higher on than most: Darius Leonard (granted a less-developed Darius Leonard), Fred Warner, and Danny Trevathan (which is who I feel like Staley may be seeing similarities to in ADG).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RamRod said:

With Gordon to Denver, do they have plans to ship out Lindsay or Freeman. Wonder if we'd be interested in a trade. 

How are the Broncos on WRs? Would Cooks for one of their RBs make seense?

I wouldn't send them anything for Freeman.  Money committed to Gordon for two years.  Lindsay going to be up for extension soon (and if they're going to extend him, they'll do it during his year 3 to avoid him having any aspirations of a big money deal that next to no RB other than Zeke... and McCaffrey and Saquon are going to get.  Elways hasn't been shy about cutting loose guys he spent mid-rounders on if they fell out of favor before, so logic dictates that one of either Freeman or Booker doesn't make the final 53 unless one of them is taking his reps as a pseudo-FB in Shurmur's scheme.

If the Rams are going to target a back in FA then Id go with Devanta Freeman. He could be had cheap just like Gurley on a 1yr prove it to me deal. Yes he is 28yrs old and has an injury history but we know how great he was when he was with Kyle Shanahan in ATL when Kyle was the OC. Freeman being paired with McVay would be great and he would also have something to prove too that ATL shouldnt have released him. We could say that Freeman was running behind a bad Falcons oline and their OC since Kyle didnt know what they were doing. I trust McVay to get Freeman back to playing close like he was under Kyle than he was after Kyle left ATL.