Free Agency

RamRod

With the Bears signing Robert Quinn (happy for him), they also cut Leonard Floyd.

Floyd played under Staley in Chicago. Fits a position of need if/when Fowler signs elsewhere. Won't count against comp formula.

He is a name we should watch out for on a 1-2 year prove it deal. Would be shocked if we are not connected to him. 

• Like 4

Feels weird to say, but with the Goff contract being front loaded, and both the Cooks and Gurley contracts hindering us this year, traded or not (so dumb) I’m starting to wonder if we do a bit of a pooch-punt on 2020. And push the chips in for 2021

i said watch the GZ move to be a signal beam

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

With the Bears signing Robert Quinn (happy for him), they also cut Leonard Floyd.

Floyd played under Staley in Chicago. Fits a position of need if/when Fowler signs elsewhere. Won't count against comp formula.

He is a name we should watch out for on a 1-2 year prove it deal. Would be shocked if we are not connected to him. 

I'd say our chances/likelihood of bringing him in substantially increase if Fowler signs somewhere else first.  Ultimately, I still think Floyd is more naturally an ILB as opposed to an OLB in this scheme (but you don't pass on Roquan Smith, Chicago needed all the EDGE help they could get at the time they drafted him - which was pre-Mack, and they also already had Danny Trevathan at ILB at the time), but I could see a scenario where we throw slightly more than a prove-it deal at Floyd (i.e. something with a good-sized 2021 team option included in it) and then draft someone like Uche (if he reaches our pick) to be the guy who ultimately replaces Clay permanently in 2021.  If Staley's scheme is largely a clone of Fangio's versatility throughout the LB corp is coveted: Floyd could play inside-out, Clay has played outside-in, we have several hybrid LB's in terms of their physical profiles in Ebukam and Ogbuehi; the fits are good in that respect, in concept at least (execution we would only know in time).

Trevathan is another guy to keep an eye on late in FA.  He has past history with Staley.  Given his age and recent injury issues, he's not likely to command a huge sum or a long contract.  As stop-gaps with scheme familiarity go, he ticks a lot of boxes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Trevathan is another guy to keep an eye on late in FA.  He has past history with Staley.  Given his age and recent injury issues, he's not likely to command a huge sum or a long contract.  As stop-gaps with scheme familiarity go, he ticks a lot of boxes.

He already resigned with the Bears. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

If the Rams cannot find a partner for Cooks, don't be surprised if Robert Woods is moved in the next day or so. Trade will save $5.85Mil.

I would be surprised.  Sorry, I don't think the two are quite so interconnected situationally.  Cooks is another (at this point, let's face it, likely) concussion away from missing another extended stretch of playing time.  McVay is not going to leave us sitting with Kupp and Josh (and potentially a rookie) as our only dependable receivers; he isn't hanging Goff out to dry like that.  The MO of this front office of late is that we move bigger name players when/after/simultaneously we have someone else lined up to come in to offset the impact and mitigate the loss.  Barring us signing a free agent receiver or trading for another receiver, I don't see Woods being moved what with Cooks history of concussions unless someone massively overpays for him (we're talking someone puts a 1st round pick or high 2nd round pick on the table and that's not happening with how deep this WR draft class is)..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I would be surprised.  Sorry, I don't think the two are quite so interconnected situationally.  Cooks is another (at this point, let's face it, likely) concussion away from missing another extended stretch of playing time.  McVay is not going to leave us sitting with Kupp and Josh (and potentially a rookie) as our only dependable receivers; he isn't hanging Goff out to dry like that.  The MO of this front office of late is that we move bigger name players when/after/simultaneously we have someone else lined up to come in to offset the impact and mitigate the loss.  Barring us signing a free agent receiver or trading for another receiver, I don't see Woods being moved what with Cooks history of concussions unless someone massively overpays for him (we're talking someone puts a 1st round pick or high 2nd round pick on the table and that's not happening with how deep this WR draft class is)..

With the success we had in 12 personnel later in the season, I think we will go to more 2 WR/2 TE sets next year (also explains the interest in TE's this offseason).

For that reason, I can see us moving Robert Woods while his value is at its highest. It would also signal to me the signing of Jordan Reed would be coming around the corner.

Something big will happen before Friday that will shake this team on both sides of the ball. What that is, no one knows yet, but I'd say anyone outside of Goff and Donald are available and even those two I feel reluctant to say are off limits. 

6 minutes ago, RamRod said:

NRC going to be a free agent

McVay really wants to change the defense. Wow. 

Still alot of FA's out there. Have to believe something is in the works. The Gurley deal is probably waiting on Brady to make his decision. 

Floyd and Wolfe I want to believe are the biggest name we will go after and good replacements. I read a rumor that if Fowler backs off his price then Rams are back in play. Other team in the lead is Atlanta. 

30 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I really like NRC. Wonder why we didn’t pick up his option

Ramsey and Hill starting with Long in the slot. Williams and Daeyon behind them and likely a draft pick or UDFA behind them. Corner s one of our best positions.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Ramsey and Hill starting with Long in the slot. Williams and Daeyon behind them and likely a draft pick or UDFA behind them. Corner s one of our best positions.

Still just doesn't make sense to me. He was a one of the best slot corners that has nfl experience unlike the young and unexprienced corners behind him.