2020 Compensatory Draft Picks Announced

RaidersAreOne

48 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

FIFY

Hah, you're probably right. But I feel like EDC has a bit more of an aggressiveness streak to him. Could easily see us maneuver our way into an extra 2nd round pick from that loot, particularly given the glut of talented wideouts that are likely going to be available there. 

3 hours ago, Danger said:

So it seems the Rams, Minnesota, and Baltimore are benefactors here as the they shifted the first 3 picks to be awarded in the 4th round, to the 3rd round instead 

Increasing the total amount of 3rd rounders awarded from 7 to 10 decreasing the amount of 4th rounders from 11 to 8

Snead has done a very good job of benefiting from these in his tenure. We could see 2 or 3 of them for the next draft with Fowler, Littleton and even Brockers. He rarely signs free agents that hurt us in the formula. 

9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Probably not. CJ Mosley played like 5 minutes* for the Jets and the Ravens got a 3rd. Kareem Jackson's contract wasn't close to 3rd round level. 

*less than 2 games

Size of the contract... playing time... other players signed.... all factors

https://overthecap.com/evaluation-of-the-2020-compensatory-picks-projection/

it still boggles my mind that more teams don't consider compensatory picks when building their roster. 

signing big free agents is historically the least efficient use of cap space, there are very few positions/players that are worth re-signing to elite money and handcuffing your ability to build the rest of your roster, etc. 

and if you do have to sign free agents to fill in big holes in your roster for a year, target players that have been cut for a previous team's mistake of signing a free agent to big money. they don't count against you in the comp pick formula but will add to your comp picks if they play well enough to get a big contract after the one year stop gap.

and the extra draft capital is invaluable. rookie contracts are worth gold and with a third/fourth round comp pick you can still find a starter at some of the lesser positions (RB, OG, S, etc.) and late round comp picks give you more dart throws to find a player that can contribute. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whitehops said:

it still boggles my mind that more teams don't consider compensatory picks when building their roster. 

signing big free agents is historically the least efficient use of cap space, there are very few positions/players that are worth re-signing to elite money and handcuffing your ability to build the rest of your roster, etc. 

and if you do have to sign free agents to fill in big holes in your roster for a year, target players that have been cut for a previous team's mistake of signing a free agent to big money. they don't count against you in the comp pick formula but will add to your comp picks if they play well enough to get a big contract after the one year stop gap.

and the extra draft capital is invaluable. rookie contracts are worth gold and with a third/fourth round comp pick you can still find a starter at some of the lesser positions (RB, OG, S, etc.) and late round comp picks give you more dart throws to find a player that can contribute. 

You need a constant influx of talent to be able to use the compensatory pick formular. You also have to be a team with a high floor to sustain a level that make players interesting in next years free agency as well as being able to groom your own players to make up for the loss of quality players.

While Baltimore have the most compensatory picks awarded, it has also at times been at the cost of losing great players and putting players with a lower ceiling on the field. 

New England has had a more constant scheme, QB/HC success which has allowed them to win in the compensatory pick formular while still being successfull.

A team like the Browns could have decided to not signing their best players and get comp picks, but that would have left them even less talented.

Without knowing for sure, I think some teams like the Ravens have had a well thought of strategy of how to get compensatory picks because they have valued those picks higher than other teams and trusted in their ability to find players in the middle round of the draft that could help the team. Other teams have valued compensatory picks to a lesser degree and decided to pay a little more for proven players.

Ravens have been a team with a high floor for many years, but we have also lacked top tier players at times because we chose not to pay market value.

Its a wild guess, but I suspect that more teams will have a comp pick strategy now that comp picks can be traded, thus giving them greater value. I also believe teams will look at their possible income of comp picks, and if chances of receiving a comp pick is slim to none, they decide to go all in signing free agents one year like the Bills did prior to the 2019 season.

13 hours ago, whitehops said:

It's sort of a zero-sum game. There are a max of 32 comp picks and you only get them if other teams are willing to sign YOUR free agents. All 32 teams can't simultaneously take this approach.

I'm a little surprised there no tweaks with the new CBA, at least I haven't heard anything. Players don't get signed to certain teams sometimes or have to wait because of comp picks. I know it's not that important but the system could maybe be better. 

15 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Size of the contract... playing time... other players signed.... all factors

https://overthecap.com/evaluation-of-the-2020-compensatory-picks-projection/

Obviously the +/- free agents matter but otherwise it is pretty much just salary based. Players have been cut and returned to the team they left as a free agent and that team was still awarded a comp pick for losing a player who was currently on their roster at the time they gave picks away. It's a dumb and unneeded system tbh. Just make it a 8 round draft or at the very least use the dollar amount offered by the team that lost the free agent not what some random team gave him. If you don't offer a contract you didn't need the player and don't need to get compensation for him.

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Obviously the +/- free agents matter but otherwise it is pretty much just salary based. Players have been cut and returned to the team they left as a free agent and that team was still awarded a comp pick for losing a player who was currently on their roster at the time they gave picks away. It's a dumb and unneeded system tbh. Just make it a 8 round draft or at the very least use the dollar amount offered by the team that lost the free agent not what some random team gave him. If you don't offer a contract you didn't need the player and don't need to get compensation for him.

Yep, checks out lol.

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yep, checks out lol.

Does it serve the purpose it was created for? Nope. I don't really care about who gets picks after the 3rd round, it's like lottery tickets. I'd much rather sign a competent starter and lose the chance to get the 160th pick in the draft who has like a 10% chance of ever being a starter in the league.