2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Quarterbacks

KC_Guy

Need to bring this to an end, and the QB group is a quckie ...

An Overview:

Well, there is Pat Mahomes ...and then there is the rest.

The Players:

Pat Mahomes is and will be the #1 for the foreseeable future. Behind him .. who knows.

Chad Henne missed a great opportunity this year when Mahomes went down for two weeks.

Matt Moore picked it up. His decision to come back ... tip to the hat.

Kyle Shurmur spent most of the year on the PS but obviously wasn't ready to take over after both Mahomes & Henne went down. Looking at the Chiefs' history of practice squad QBs I assume he'll be back as a #3 for starters. 

The Outlook:

Mahomes, either Henne or Moore, and Shurmur is what I think we'll see this year. My gut feeling says it will be Moore to stay. So, no big action to be expected for this unit.
Oh, and about Mahomes' new contract: I don't think we'll see it this year. Guess both sides wish to see what the cap looks like under the new CBA.

59 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'd let one of Henne or Moore walk and re-sign the other. Ideally someone overpays Moore so we get a late comp pick. But I doubt it.

That*s what I said. But I think there`s a better chance to have Henne get paid ...

Edited by KC_Guy

Henne was making about $4M last year. I know this is going to sound crazy because Moore helped save our season last year, but given our cap situation going forward, I'd really rather not have to pay a vet backup that much. We don't need anyone to tutor Mahomes or anything anymore. It'd be nice to save the $4M - $5M extra a vet backup like Henne, Daniel, etc., cost.

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Henne was making about $4M last year. I know this is going to sound crazy because Moore helped save our season last year, but given our cap situation going forward, I'd really rather not have to pay a vet backup that much. We don't need anyone to tutor Mahomes or anything anymore. It'd be nice to save the $4M - $5M extra a vet backup like Henne, Daniel, etc., cost.

I fully agree. But Andy seems to like his vet backups.