GDT - Week 3; Brady's 50th GWD.

Hunter2_1

78326208e2845571ec9ab24c53fb759c.jpg

Where: Gillette Stadium,  1 Patriot Pl, Foxborough, MA 02035,

When: 1pm EST, 10am PDT, 6pm GMT

How Houston Can Win:

New England Patriots alumnus Bill O’Brien is a proud member of the not-so-exclusive fraternity of “half their coaching staff” that’s coached in New England, and if the AFC Divisional Round game was any indication, O’Brien’s one of the only coaches to hit Tom Brady with the right combination of deception and speed to significantly throw off Brady’s game.

To bamboozle Brady, the Texans frequently lined up five defenders on the line of scrimmage, AKA the “Diamond” defense (their nickname).  they may rush, they may drop into coverage (as the Texans did occasionally in the divisional round, showing a five-man rush and then only rushing three and still getting pressure).

Whatever they land on—hybrid-man or zone—they’re fond of eight-man coverages, like the one they used on Mercilus’s postseason sack of Brady. Altogether, the Texans dropped two linemen back in coverage and rushed only three about 30% of the time they were in diamond last season.

Why New England Will Win:

- Bill has proven time and again that he can scheme JJ Watt out of the game. In 2015, it was leaving Cannon to deal with him, with chips from Jackson or Williams (TE), running away from his side, or running draws to take advantage of his aggression in the cut-back lane. Also, a lot of shotgun play action to keep Watt out of the passing lanes. 

In 2016, The Patriots ran away from Watt 21 times for 139 yards and three touchdowns and toward him just five times for 23 yards. Watt was handled by a single blocker in the passing game eight times, double-teamed eight times and triple-teamed once. When a single blocker was responsible for Watt, Brissett got rid of the ball in an average of just 1.77 seconds. When Watt was double- or triple-teamed, Brissett was a

ble to take his time by getting rid of it in 2.77 seconds.

- They have a brutal, brutal offensive line. Against CInci they were using 7 man fronts, and it still wasn't good enough. 

- Watson has been bad. Isn't progressing through his first read, some plays he took off from clean pockets because he can't cope with more than one read, he's throwing to unfavourable situations (short curls into cover 2, vs Cinci) 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTx1o92MEfxSHQgCTzd0Jo

Rookie QBs vs Patriots since 2000 in New England 

W/L: 0-8 

Comp %: 51

Pass YPG: 196.8

TD/INT: 5-16

Passer Rating: 50.7

Last 5

Date Team Opponent H/A Stadium Result Attend
01/14/2017 * New England Patriots Houston Texans H Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, MA) W 34-16 66,829
09/22/2016 New England Patriots Houston Texans H Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, MA) W 27-0 66,829
12/13/2015 New England Patriots Houston Texans A NRG Stadium (Houston, TX) W 27-6 71,908
12/01/2013 New England Patriots Houston Texans A Reliant Stadium (Houston, TX) W 34-31 71,769
01/13/2013 * New England Patriots Houston Texans H Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, MA) W 41-28 68,756

With their OL as bad as it has been, I can see this game going one of only 2 ways - either a Patriots blow-out, or a low-scoring defensive struggle. There's no denying the skill of their defense, and if they bring their a-game, it could be 17-13 sort of score line, for either side.

A lot depends on the WRs' health as a group, and of course Gronk's injury.

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Nice GDT @Hunter2_1

If they gameplan this the way I think, Devin needs to step up with High out and diagnose the play before the snap. Figure out who Watson's first read is and double that guy. 

Thanks Pulse

Against Cinci, Watson was forcing it to Hopkins all the time. Expected, seeing that nearly every other weapon was out of the game. If cinci were a good team (they are not) they would not have let Hopkins have any say, because it wasn't going anywhere else. 

Watson is pretty damn terrible. He's basically a poor man's Vince Young. I just don't see a team beating the Patriots unless their QB play can match up to Brady's. The offensive strength right now is pass protection and the Pats match up really well with Houston's pass rush. I think the RBs are a huge mismatch for the Texans' LBs as well and they're going to have a field day both on the ground and through the air.

BTW, Wise has really shown well. His length and movement has flashed in pass rushing situations. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come with Flowers being the only legitimate pass rushing threat on the team right now....

5 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Watson is pretty damn terrible. He's basically a poor man's Vince Young.

I think he is a rich man's Vince Young, but not yet. 

If Watson continues to force the ball and only utilize one read, the rocket scientist and the hoodie will force him to make mistakes. I expect a +3 turnover differential in our favor. 

I am a bit worried about Solder, he had some struggles the last two games. If you focus on the first series alone, he had problems at all pass plays. If Brady had hold on to the ball a bit longer...
His run blocking wasnt that much better either...
And I think the Texans will be a tougher test for him than KC or the Saints. I hope he can turn it around on sunday.
I have also noticed that Andrews can get overpowered easily at sometimes. Nothing to serious but maybe worth to keep an eye on.

35 minutes ago, Khal Guese said:

I am a bit worried about Solder, he had some struggles the last two games. If you focus on the first series alone, he had problems at all pass plays. If Brady had hold on to the ball a bit longer...
His run blocking wasnt that much better either...
And I think the Texans will be a tougher test for him than KC or the Saints. I hope he can turn it around on sunday.
I have also noticed that Andrews can get overpowered easily at sometimes. Nothing to serious but maybe worth to keep an eye on.

Andrews will always have issues being overpowered due to his size and relative lack of strength. That's just who he is.

Solder has drawn tough matchups and has been passable. I'm not concerned yet. Cam Jordan makes a lot of OL look bad. 

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

I'd expect a similar gameplan to how they played Denver last year. A lot of running combined with safe passes on offense. On defense, bracket Hopkins and contain Watson, and then wait for Watson to make mistakes.

I think the Pats come out throwing all over Houston. Quick passes to the RB's  and WR's with a few deep shots 

Houston's LB's can't keep up with White/Lewis and I expect the Pats to exploit that

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Andrews will always have issues being overpowered due to his size and relative lack of strength. That's just who he is.

Solder has drawn tough matchups and has been passable. I'm not concerned yet. Cam Jordan makes a lot of OL look bad. 

Okay, I did not know he is lacking so much size.

It wasnt only due to Jordan. He had his faire share of problems with #44 Kikaha, #57 Okafor and #91 Hendrickson. So his struggel wasnt related to Jordan at all.
But I will try to share your optimism.

So this guy is reporting that but Reiss is saying:

LB Dont'a Hightower returned to practice on Wednesday, as did WR Danny Amendola (concussion/knee). Meanwhile, three players who were injured in Sunday's win -- TE Rob Gronkowski (groin), WR Phillip Dorsett (knee) and CB Eric Rowe (groin) -- were present at practice.

Archived