NCAA Tournaments To Be Played Without Fans

HolmesPriest

It'd be fitting for the NCAA to choose money over the health and safety of coaches, staff members and "student athletes".

I get why some think it's an overreaction but a month or two from now I'd much rather be saying "We probably overreacted to the coronavirus stuff" than to be saying "We should've took the coronavirus more seriously".

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

It'd be fitting for the NCAA to choose money over the health and safety of coaches, staff members and "student athletes".

I get why some think it's an overreaction but a month or two from now I'd much rather be saying "We probably overreacted to the coronavirus stuff" than to be saying "We should've took the coronavirus more seriously".

This is exactly what happened in Italy. 

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

So play Russian roulette with kids health. You can test now. And than all it takes is one kid or coach to catch it after you test. One of the kids family members to give to have it and pass it to their kids. Italy was literally in the same spot we are in about a month or so ago and they went on as business as usual. Now they are totally shutdown and dont got enough space for all the sick. As a parent. My son ain't playing. My kids probably are done with school on Friday. 

“Poor kids”...  Fairly certain they all want to play and will be devastated by a cancellation. The people want to watch, the NCAA wants it’s money. Why not pull out all the stops before cancelling? Wouldn’t be foolproof, but seems like a good alternative. Hell, why not test every few days? We are talking nearly $1 billion from that TV deal alone, can easily afford the most rigorous testing imaginable. Sure, still would be risks... but there will be risks for everyone, regardless, unless you are just not leaving your home. Maybe I’m a loon, but I don’t plan on avoiding the gym for the next few months, doing these players are either (which I bring up since that’s fairly comparable to risks of playing basketball). 

Of course if I’m reading the room wrong, and kids/coaches are fearful and don’t want to play, then by all means cancel.

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

“Poor kids”...  Fairly certain they all want to play and will be devastated by a cancellation. The people want to watch, the NCAA wants it’s money. Why not pull out all the stops before cancelling? Wouldn’t be foolproof, but seems like a good alternative. Hell, why not test every few days? We are talking nearly $1 billion from that TV deal alone, can easily afford the most rigorous testing imaginable. Sure, still would be risks... but there will be risks for everyone, regardless, unless you are just not leaving your home. Maybe I’m a loon, but I don’t plan on avoiding the gym for the next few months, doing these players are either (which I bring up since that’s fairly comparable to risks of playing basketball). 

Of course if I’m reading the room wrong, and kids/coaches are fearful and don’t want to play, then by all means cancel.

Players want to play with concussions to. Should we just let them cause they want to. Players want to play. That's the way it is. You going to the gym is your choice. But if you catch it and continue to go to the gym. That's bs. Nobody is telling people to stop living their lives. But to have events that could help easily spread the virus would be silly. Just use nba as an example. Gobert could have passed that virus to every single team with in a 10 day period just cause of his contact with the few ref crews and teams he has played in that period. It's silly to keep taking that risk. No matter how much testing they do. 

14 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’m with you on the overreactions, however if you think about the % of deaths vs number of diagnosed virus the corona virus is more deadly.

80-90% of people that get the coronavirus show little more than cold symptoms and some are even asymptomatic.  How many thousands (tens of thousands?  hundreds of thousands?) had it, took some OTC medicine and went on with their day?  This whole 3% mortality rate is amongst only the hospitalized cases that were specifically tested for coronavirus.  As more and more people get tested, that rate is going to keep dropping, my guess is to the point to where it's pretty much in line with flu rates. 

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

Players want to play with concussions to. Should we just let them cause they want to. Players want to play. That's the way it is. You going to the gym is your choice. But if you catch it and continue to go to the gym. That's bs. Nobody is telling people to stop living their lives. But to have events that could help easily spread the virus would be silly. Just use nba as an example. Gobert could have passed that virus to every single team with in a 10 day period just cause of his contact with the few ref crews and teams he has played in that period. It's silly to keep taking that risk. No matter how much testing they do. 

Playing in empty arenas they will be around drastically less people than are in my office today.  Far less than if they are still on campus.  Test them all, let them play.

10 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Playing in empty arenas they will be around drastically less people than are in my office today.  Far less than if they are still on campus.  Test them all, let them play.

Are you having physical contact with all the people in your office. Yall sharing a pen between 20 or so people. 

4 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Are you having physical contact with all the people in your office. Yall sharing a pen between 20 or so people. 

I'll touch the same few doors as about 200 other people will today.  I'll be in a confined space in close proximity to several dozen.

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The people want to watch, the NCAA wants it’s money. Why not pull out all the stops before cancelling? 

What can they really do though? It really isn't a matter of if anyone on one of the teams has it (considering they are all on college campuses with thousands of students), but who.  And once we find out who, then there is a matter of testing all of his teammates and opponents that he played.  Now imagine that with multiple cases on different teams. Even if they tested semi-regularly, which still isn't full proof depending on how long an individual has had it, what happens when multiple teams aren't allowed to play?  Do their opponents get a free pass?  That alone defeats the purpose of March Madness.

It's a tough situation, but they don't really have a lot of options.  It's why every organization dependent on social gatherings (sports events, music festivals, schools, etc) is going to suffer for at least the next two months.  Everyone wants the money, but nobody wants the terrible PR that would come from going through with an event and it turns out said event allowed for the spread of the coronavirus.  It is also why states are just stepping in themselves and taking the decision out of their hands.

• Like 1

The big issue is the long incubation period of this virus.  People can go 14 days without symptoms and then everything they touch in the last 14 days can be infected.  Thats the reason for people needing to socially distance themselves for a couple weeks to really pinpoint who has it, slow the spread of it, and get offices/gyms/stadiums etc sterilized.