NCAA Tournaments To Be Played Without Fans

HolmesPriest

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

“Poor kids”...  Fairly certain they all want to play and will be devastated by a cancellation. The people want to watch, the NCAA wants it’s money. Why not pull out all the stops before cancelling? Wouldn’t be foolproof, but seems like a good alternative. Hell, why not test every few days? We are talking nearly $1 billion from that TV deal alone, can easily afford the most rigorous testing imaginable. Sure, still would be risks... but there will be risks for everyone, regardless, unless you are just not leaving your home. Maybe I’m a loon, but I don’t plan on avoiding the gym for the next few months, doing these players are either (which I bring up since that’s fairly comparable to risks of playing basketball). 

Of course if I’m reading the room wrong, and kids/coaches are fearful and don’t want to play, then by all means cancel.

There’s already a severe shortage in tests in the US. Using up tests and backing up machines just to play some basketball would be silly. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I dont think I have been this disappointed about something in a long time.  I have heard they want to do selection sunday and then play the games later, but not sure how feasible that is. 

they should do selection sunday so we can see what the brackets would have looked like.

4 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Why do they go straight to cancel....and forget they could just postpone until a later time...

seems like they are to lazy to figure this out down the road

Because these are still "student athletes" and multiple schools have already shut down or gone online only for the rest of the semester, as well as cancelling athletics until such time as can be considered safe. Having these kids play in May or June throws the whole "students, not professionals" thing entirely out the window.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Why do they go straight to cancel....and forget they could just postpone until a later time...

seems like they are to lazy to figure this out down the road

Even if they wanted to once Duke and Kansas said no they had no choice.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Microcosm of why the US specifically cannot and will not get this under control until herd immunity which means a lot, a looooot, of death.

Plus this is the country that has elected politicians saying grandma might have to die for the economy, country's boned. I currently have covid right now, Arizona is in especially rough shape. I've been quarantined at home and damn near never left the house but someone I live with gave it to me instead, couldn't avoid it even when living like a recluse unless I was even more of a recluse in my own house from someone I didn't know had it. 

• Like 1