Players On The Roster Who Could Make A Big Jump

Just Want A Title

With so much talk about free agency and the draft I wanted to change it up and talk about players on the roster who could step into a bigger role in 2020.  Personally, I thought last year's coaching staff was too reluctant to give younger players a shot.  This was especially true on defense with Paul Pasqualoni and Jeff Davidson.   Here are some players that I think will flourish with the coaching staff changes.  That said:

1.  Tyrell Crosby OL--He played pretty well subbing for Taylor Decker and Rick Wagner.  He was a lot better the Rick Wagner when he played RT.  Maybe they think he can slide over to one of the guard positions.  I am not sure what the problem was but I think he could be a solid upgrade at one of our o-line positions, most likely RT.

2.  John Atkins DT--During the second half of the season he was generating consistent pressure on the pocket.  He seemed pretty tough to move off the ball on running plays.  Considering how bad the interior of our D-line was last year, I couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting more snaps.  Assuming he stays healthy, he could be a big difference-maker for the Lions next season.

3.  Ty Johnson RB--His speed was evident when he had a decent hole in the running game but his contact balance could use improvement.  I thought he was under-used in the passing game though.  A player with his speed could cause some pretty big mismatches with LBs.  I could see him carving out a bigger role as a part-time slot WR.

4.  Marvin Hall WR--He isn't the biggest WR but he has a amazing speed.  Assuming he can stay healthy and he learns to run a more diverse route tree, he should be able to carve out a bigger role this year and possible start taking some snaps from Marvin Jones.

5.  Amani Oruwariye CB--During the second half of the season he really started to play well but still saw limited snaps.  That was a real head-scratcher.  He has solid speed and great length.  He might be the player that needs to have a break-out season the most for the Lions. If he can lock down our #2 CB position that would be a huge boost for the Lions.

6.  Austin Bryant DE--Him not playing was another head-scratcher because he seemed to play well in his limited snaps.  He has good size and length.  He seems like taller version of Trey Flowers.  I suspect he will play a bigger role this year.  Personally, I think he got over-looked because he played on a line with Clellin Farrell and Dexter Lawrence.  Just like Amani Oruwariye the Lions really need him to make a big jump in year 2, especially if he can add some juice to our pass-rush.

Thoughts?

Bryant was the first one that came to mind because he was injured for so long last year, missed a lot of the off season period which is where he can really develop. Will be nice if he can stay healthy all off season this year and take a couple steps forward.  

Marvin Hall is another one I like.  I was shocked he didnt get more opportunities before his injury.  I think he works into the main WR rotation next year. 

Not much to debate in this post. I'm hoping for all of them to play well. Johnson and Hall provide our Offense with blazing speed which we sorely lack.  Hopefully Bryant can step up opposite Flowers, I'm not sure our 2020 Starting DE is currently on the roster.

One guy who is a real wild-card is Beau Benzschawel.  They kept him on the roster and he didn't see a lot of snaps even though there was a lot of uncertainty at guard late in the season.  They must have kept him on the roster rather than the practice squad for a reason.  At the very least, he should have added enough weight and strength to be a solid back-up.  I never really heard a lot of buzz about his performance but maybe they planned to "red-shirt" him with the goal of him stepping into a starting role this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

One guy who is a real wild-card is Beau Benzschawel.  They kept him on the roster and he didn't see a lot of snaps even though there was a lot of uncertainty at guard late in the season.  They must have kept him on the roster rather than the practice squad for a reason.  At the very least, he should have added enough weight and strength to be a solid back-up.  I never really heard a lot of buzz about his performance but maybe they planned to "red-shirt" him with the goal of him stepping into a starting role this year.

You know, I've actually given him quite a bit of thought. Some felt that he could've/should've been a 6th/7th round pick. He started 49 games in college, was an All-American and excels as a run blocker. It would be great if they could find a way to develop him into a contributor.