Will Fuller returns to practice

ET80

https://torotimes.com/2017/09/18/will-fuller-back-at-practice-for-the-houston-texans/amp/

Think we know why Strong was cut now. He was a bubble guy going into camp, and Fuller back in practice pretty much gets the unit to full strength now.

I also think that Tyler Ervin is basically a WR at this stage. He might get carries and plays out of the backfield, but the bulk of his work is going to be out in the slot.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

https://torotimes.com/2017/09/18/will-fuller-back-at-practice-for-the-houston-texans/amp/

Think we know why Strong was cut now. He was a bubble guy going into camp, and Fuller back in practice pretty much gets the unit to full strength now.

I also think that Tyler Ervin is basically a WR at this stage. He might get carries and plays out of the backfield, but the bulk of his work is going to be out in the slot.

I get it (and I think someone alluded to this in the other thread as well)... I still find it troubling that it was an outright cut of Strong vs. swapping him for something (once again, backup TE or ST DB or conditional 7th)

Now let's hope Fuller got bit by a radioactive spider while recovering and now can catch anything thrown in his vicinity ;) 

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

Not sure how Fuller is back so quickly. They are going to rush him like they do all of our players and he will get re-injured pretty quick. 

Bone breaks are different than soft tissue injuries. With a bone break, you set the bone and let it calcify back into position. No real rehab needed.

This being said, I'm also worried. Fuller is a tiny guy by football standards, so one good hit or getting driven into the ground after a catch and it's probably broken again.

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

I get it (and I think someone alluded to this in the other thread as well)... I still find it troubling that it was an outright cut of Strong vs. swapping him for something (once again, backup TE or ST DB or conditional 7th)

Now let's hope Fuller got bit by a radioactive spider while recovering and now can catch anything thrown in his vicinity ;) 

I don't think anyone would really want Strong. Then again, we will see if he ends up on a roster soon.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Bone breaks are different than soft tissue injuries. With a bone break, you set the bone and let it calcify back into position. No real rehab needed.

This being said, I'm also worried. Fuller is a tiny guy by football standards, so one good hit or getting driven into the ground after a catch and it's probably broken again.

True, but it's not like we send him across the middle. He's there to run the 9 and stretch the field.

The way our pass catchers as a whole played against New England, I don't think we'll need to rush him back and risk re-injury. I'm sure if he's coming back, he's ready. 

We basically stole the KC offense that beat NE week 1 last week (which to me is really exciting because it shows the ability of OB to adapt) with a bunch of ball fakes on end around, play actions, etc. Bruce Ellington was our motion guy but I'm thinking if we keep running a version of the offense we rolled out in that game plan then Fuller could potentially be our speed motion/end around guy. I could totally see us establishing the end around on the first drive of some game and Will Fuller breaking loose, and if that happens early in a game, or even ever where we're able to put it on tape, that could put a lot of pressure on the defense similarly to Tyreek Hill in KC

I think with Watson's ability to create extra time to throw, Fuller is going to get a few deep shots - if he's worked on his hands, this could be the piece this offense has been needing. Everyone's job should get easier of Watson and Fuller connect early on a deep ball.

I say - first play, go deep. Let's see how good Adoree Jackson is in coverage when he's lined up against one of the few people who is faster than him.

48 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Might be a little too early but I wonder if O'Brien plans on putting Fuller as the punt returner Sunday.  Ervin simply isn't getting the job done back there and Fuller averaged 15 yards a punt return including a TD vs the Titans last season.

It's 11 returns - not exactly a strong enough sample size, inflated by the 67 yarder. Take that one out, you're looking at 9.8 yards a return, which 0.1 yards more than Ervin last season. 

Given he's coming off of a broken bone injury, I'd rather not risk his health for what could or couldn't be an improvement (our ST unit is bad enough to get him killed).

Archived