ANATOMY OF A CHAMPION

Karnage84

12 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I feel like part of the "unsexy" 1st rounders is partially due to draft position. When you're just good enough to not be awful, you end up drafting 16th, 21st and 20th, difficult draft positions to land a truly elite player. That's why I was glad when we didn't attempt to salvage last year and instead fielded the players that we did: the value we have this year is such that can turn around a franchise. If Quinn misses here, there's no excuse.

I was meaning more in terms of position than not elite talent.  I would consider Ragnow a very good player, but not sexy like Slay (even though he wasn't a first round pick). They are often forgotten about when thinking about the draft but are huge in the effect of the team.

• Decker (Not sexy)
  • Davis (not sexy, and not a fan)
  • Ragnow (Not sexy)
  • Hockenson (not sexy and looks like Howdy Doody)
Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I was meaning more in terms of position than not elite talent.  I would consider Ragnow a very good player, but not sexy like Slay (even though he wasn't a first round pick). They are often forgotten about when thinking about the draft but are huge in the effect of the team.

• Decker (Not sexy)
  • Davis (not sexy, and not a fan)
  • Ragnow (Not sexy)
  • Hockenson (not sexy and looks like Howdy Doody)

Ahh, right. Yeah, that's true as well. Both Decker and Ragnow look like good picks. (That Howdy Doody line killed me.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ahh, right. Yeah, that's true as well. Both Decker and Ragnow look like good picks. (That Howdy Doody line killed me.)

This isn't really a consolation prize or going to make us feel any better, but if we had adopted the Patriots model earlier on we probably would have TJ Watt on the roster as opposed to JD. 

Davis was drafted for Teryl Austin's scheme and the Lions were in desperate need for a LB. 

Watt's PFF score is 91.3

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ouchy...

Argument could have been made for Teez still being the pick or Chidobe Awuzie (Cowboys). He was next CB drafted and fits the current Lions profile. 

Watt 91.3 + Awuzie 72.2 vs Davis 40.4 Tabor 32.2 (in 2018)

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This isn't really a consolation prize or going to make us feel any better, but if we had adopted the Patriots model earlier on we probably would have TJ Watt on the roster as opposed to JD. 

Davis was drafted for Teryl Austin's scheme and the Lions were in desperate need for a LB. 

Watt's PFF score is 91.3

sometimes it's just better to keep these things to yourself.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

2016 - A'Shawn Robinson

2018 - Kerryon Johnson

2019 - Jahlani Tavai

I don't think those three players have been 'awful' by any means.

Robinson walked so the team obviously felt he underperformed what he would receive in compensation.

Johnson was and remains injury prone

Tavai the jury is still out.

Perhaps not awful but not good either.