Opening Day to be Pushed 2 weeks RE: COVID-19

Slateman

Guess we gotta talk about this.

What does MLB do here? Pretty obvious that fans wont be at games. Do MLB teams make enough off TV revenues to make this economically feasible?

And a random idea. Earlier, Mandfred introduced a rather radical playoff format that a lot of people didnt like. Personally, I didnt like it because it made the regular season irrelevant. However, if there were fewer games, I think more playoff teams would he more palatable. Could this season, if substantially delayed, be a chance to try out an extended playoff format?

Edited by Slateman

Just play it in empty stadiums and remove all blackout rules.  Ratings will increase drastically since fewer people will be going out as regularly until this blows over.  Cancelling games would be a drastic over-reaction in my opinion.  Put every game on TV, there will be less people in the stadium than there are at my work today.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Just play it in empty stadiums and remove all blackout rules.  Ratings will increase drastically since fewer people will be going out as regularly until this blows over.  Cancelling games would be a drastic over-reaction in my opinion.  Put every game on TV, there will be less people in the stadium than there are at my work today.

In an outdoor stadium? You still need a ton of staff to maintain and operate it. It's different suspending an indoor league to an outdoor one. But ultimately you have to do it.

Everything I've heard internally is that the plan, tentatively, is to kill ST and see what options there are by Monday. All likelihood is that the season is suspended at least into May, probably into the Summer. You play like a strike year.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

In an outdoor stadium? You still need a ton of staff to maintain and operate it.

Everything I've heard internally is that the plan, tentatively, is to kill ST and see what options there are by Monday. All likelihood is that the season is suspended at least into May, probably into the Summer. You play like a strike year.

That number is drastically reduced when there are no fans.  No ushers, no concessions, cleaning crew drastically reduced.  There will be more people at your local Walmart than there will be at these games.

6 minutes ago, animaltested said:

The MLB should just have the teams start the season in their Spring homes; no fans. Have them stay in Arizona and Florida until Late April.

Most MLB's team home weather is terrible now anyway. 

Hadn't thought of that and it's a really good suggestion.

Cut the season down to 144 games.

Do teams just stay in their ST facilities in the mean time?  They still have to prepare for the season.  They can't just roll out of bed 4 weeks from now and start playing games.  At least the pitchers can't.

Jeff Passan -  Each of the 30 Major League Baseball teams will commit $1 million to ballpark employees who would not have been paid due to the coronavirus crisis causing the postponement of the baseball season until at least mid-May.

Note - cant say what "ballpark employees" make....but if it takes 30M to cover their salaries till mid-May. I chose the wrong profession :)

Edited by Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Jeff Passan -  Each of the 30 Major League Baseball teams will commit $1 million to ballpark employees who would not have been paid due to the coronavirus crisis causing the postponement of the baseball season until at least mid-May.

Note - cant say what "ballpark employees" make....but if it takes 30M to cover their salaries till mid-May. I chose the wrong profession :)

I think you are underrating the number of ball park employees

• Like 1