Opening Day to be Pushed 2 weeks RE: COVID-19

Slateman

19 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They're aiming for mid May but this is only on a pace to get worse not better. 

Yah, best case scenario right now is the two week mini spring training at end of May and then regular season start at beginning of June. That's a big stretch at this point....

I think realistically, we're looking at an All-Star break start to the season (mid July) and that's if our trend follows other countries timelines for decline phase of COVID...

There's also a good chance, you won't have fans at the live games the entire condensed season...

21 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They're aiming for mid May but this is only on a pace to get worse not better. 

I think that's way too optimistic and MLB should look at having a shortened season. I'd say late June, early July is the earliest start date we get, particularly if they want fans to show up. I'd like to see baseball get creative at this point. I've felt for a long time that the MLB season was too long. Now would be a good time to have an expanded playoff roster.

I also would like to see them set up the schedule to minimize long travel and play four game series with a dedicated travel day. This way, you only have to use 4 starting pitchers, or make your fifth starter a dedicated long man.

If you started on June 28 and didnt' have an ASB, that would give you 19 series for the season. Roll into an expanded playoff with several WC teams. No one has to pitch a 5th starter, everyone gets an extra pitcher, and everyone plays each team in their division for at least 8 games. 

On 3/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, August4th said:

stupid to not play in empty stadiums. Wouldnt shock me if theres no baseball this year solely because of that. Are they going to play 30% of a season and then go into the playoffs? You have to think best case we allow big crowds to begin June, even if baseball get some sort of heads up, they arent playing games until mid June at best imo and thats a stretch. For as bad as they screwed over the amateur players I hope we miss the entire year.

Latest update I heard is that playing in empty stadiums is back on the table.  With the peak now not expected to be until mid May (the social distancing is pushing that back) i'll be surprised if they are playing before July even in empty stadiums.  They aren't going to roll out of bed and start the season up, they essentially will need at least 2-4 weeks of "spring" training before the season ramps up again.  So even if Quarantine is lifted nationally by June 1, it's still likely July before baseball is being played.  In that case i'd say cut the season in half, 81 games, and keep the playoff format exactly the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

New York Mets: Rob Gardner (Oct. 2, 1965, versus Phillies)

Pitching line: 15 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 SO (Game Score: 112)

The 50’s and 60’s started having a a lot of elite hitters and not guys that were part time roofers so I’ll go with Gardner here...

I'm much less impressed by a junkballer throwing 15 IP because he was on the fortunate side of the BABIP gods.  And offense was still down back then.  Hell, that game went 18 innings and they ended up calling it a 0-0 tie.  

Wood faced literally the best offensive team in the entire league during the height of the steroid era and put up the highest game score for a 9 inning game in baseball history.  There were multiple HOFers in their primes in that lineup.  

• Like 2