So....curious.....anyone here have friends or family with Corona

HDsportsfan

No one I directly know.  Two cases in the town over (very small towns, less than 2k people).  My wife works as an infectious disease NP so we shall see.  Assuming things in our area of Monmouth County stay relatively low-key, should be ok...if this thing explodes, nearly her and myself will be guaranteed to get it. 

30 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

School district I teach for just extended Spring Break an extra week. I'm wondering if this is going to be a week-by-week thing. Online classes isn't really an option for middle school. Not sure how this is going to play out

My wife is a teacher and I'm hoping for a longer spring break. I wonder though if they are going to make you come back in the summer and make up the week or weeks...? I would think so

Edited by DaBoys

18 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

My wife is a teacher and I'm hoping for a longer spring break. I wonder though if they are going to make you come back in the summer and make up the week or weeks...? I would think so

Now they're saying we're going to be communicating with our students/parents about doing work remotely, whether its stuff they print out or do online. We'll need to upload videos and stuff to make sure they can still learn. TEA is mandating that learning will continue, so I would assume your wife might have a similar set up. Honestly better than having to go back in the summer.

44 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Some states are suspending the 180 day school requirement. Our school hits spring break after today. Our union told us take all necessary materials home. I expect us to do some electronic educational lessons for the next few weeks. 

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I don't understand how you can have online classes with elementary/prek/1st -4th graders.

Some of these kids are on free lunches at school. Some don't have cell phones much less reliable internet 

In Ohio, I work in an urban school district.   It was mandated by the state no students for 3 weeks.  Our Superintendent is still having busing pick up students that want to eat sack lunch and get breakfast for the next morning  and eat in the cafeteria.   We will also have our food pantries open

If we're letting the kids in, why not just have school? Stupid. 

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I don't understand how you can have online classes with elementary/prek/1st -4th graders.

Some of these kids are on free lunches at school. Some don't have cell phones much less reliable internet 

You're right.  We have a large number of students that do not have internet access at home.  We have preschool,  serve 3 meals, nurses, and a nurse practitioner.   Dental trucks come to the building's.   It's just not realistic to stop providing these services.  

4 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

You're right.  We have a large number of students that do not have internet access at home.  We have preschool,  serve 3 meals, nurses, and a nurse practitioner.   Dental trucks come to the building's.   It's just not realistic to stop providing these services.  

Some local restaurants are offering free lunches for kids up to a certain age, daycare services as well. 

Anyone partake in the TP madness?  They had local cops at all of the big box stores in my area Friday and this morning.  Really is a crazy sight to see. We get Hurricane and Blizzard warnings and people don't really do much of anything. Even in 2009 people were not reacting like this. 

I stocked up on meat, but that is mostly for my dog as he is on a raw diet and every single Costco/Grocery store in my area is crazy low on chuck meats.  If stuff really hits the fan, my dog survives on grade a beef and I get to eat protein powder and tuna fish. 

6 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Anyone partake in the TP madness?  They had local cops at all of the big box stores in my area Friday and this morning.  Really is a crazy sight to see. We get Hurricane and Blizzard warnings and people don't really do much of anything. Even in 2009 people were not reacting like this. 

I stocked up on meat, but that is mostly for my dog as he is on a raw diet and every single Costco/Grocery store in my area is crazy low on chuck meats.  If stuff really hits the fan, my dog survives on grade a beef and I get to eat protein powder and tuna fish. 

I am pretty good about always having two extra packs (Hurricane's have forged an indelible impression on me - and my best friend's wife is an extreme coupon-er as a hobby). That said, I have invested in a bidet and I won't look back.

My freezer is also stocked with the proper protein. Although, I lack ribs - an oversight I hope to live to regret. 

51 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Oh yea. Been stocking up on anti bacterial Dawn since soap is out of the question. Bought myself 6 packs of TP so I'm good for the rest of the year there. And I usually stock up on alot of bottled water anyways. 

But on a side note i think i may ask my doctor if i need to get tested. Been feeling under the weather lately with similar symptoms you would find with CV and i work in a place with people who have traveled to Burma, europe, and Mexico for vacation since december. But obviously it's up to my doctor if I do get one. 

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I am pretty good about always having two extra packs (Hurricane's have forged an indelible impression on me - and my best friend's wife is an extreme coupon-er as a hobby). That said, I have invested in a bidet and I won't look back.

My freezer is also stocked with the proper protein. Although, I lack ribs - an oversight I hope to live to regret. 

Yea, I think anyone who has experienced or lives in any type of natural disaster zone should be relatively well stocked with non perishables.  I am kicking myself for not getting my basement fridge earlier this year, really kills how much meat I can actually hold so for now it is just he dog who gets to eat well.  

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Oh yea. Been stocking up on anti bacterial Dawn since soap is out of the question. Bought myself 6 packs of TP so I'm good for the rest of the year there. And I usually stock up on alot of bottled water anyways. 

But on a side note i think i may ask my doctor if i need to get tested. Been feeling under the weather lately with similar symptoms you would find with CV and i work in a place with people who have traveled to Burma, europe, and Mexico for vacation since december. But obviously it's up to my doctor if I do get one. 

Yikes, feel better.  I know some states are starting to loosen the testing requirements but it still appears to be a very case by case situation.