10 members have voted

1. 1. Rate This Mock

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • Stop Posting Mock Drafts

The Plunge Mock Draft 2020 #2

As always your comments and feedback our greatly appreciated/encouraged!

1. Cincinnati Bengals - QB Joe Burrow, LSU

One year wonder? Stop it. Burrow showed unbelievable arm talent, quickness & anticipation, decisiveness, the whole thing last year. His timing and touch are fantastic, and he’s got pocket movability for days. Listening to him talk, he’s got what Coach K refers to as “performance ego” - a feeling that he knows he’s good, and he’s going to perform, no matter the hype of what the first overall pick will bring. This is the pick for the Bengals, who desperately need Burrow’s mojo to get this franchise going.

2. Washington Redskins - DE Chase Young, Ohio State

Ron Rivera may be looking at the QBs in this year’s draft, but this smells more like a smokescreen to entice teams to move up then anything. Enter Chase Young - long, rangy, explosive, these guys don’t come around often. Washington can’t pass this up. He’ll slip right in with Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen, & Da’Ron Payne to form an awesome Washington front. Watch out, folks.

3. Detroit Lions - S Isaiah Simmons, Clemson

This is where things get interesting. At pick three, to a degree, you have to throw out team needs. It’s time to get a playmaker, someone who will be a difference from day one, and Simmons is that guy. The Lions have Slay, they have an ascending talent in Tracy Walker, but they’re all going to coalesce with Simmons coming to town. This kid can do it all - hit, run, quickness, long & rangy. Matt Patricia is probably already thinking about how he can be utilized in today’s NFL. 

4. New York Giants - OT Mekhi Becton, Louisville

The G-G-G .. GMEN found their QB of the future in Daniel Jones last year, but he won’t last long with Nate Solder and Mike Remmers blocking on the outside - woof. Enter Becton, who arguably has the ceiling to be taken #1 overall. A 370 pound “dancing bear”, Becton has the athleticism for such a huge man to overwhelm once he hits his stride. The Giants need some protection, and they grab their LT of the future here in Becton.

5. Miami Dolphins - QB Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama

Fins up. Tua is an excellent rhythm passer - quick, crisp, and intelligent, this is a no-brainer to me. The injury is a red-flag, but if this checks out clean this will be a great pick. Dolphins grab their QB of the future, have a nice stable of young pass catchers, and will work to move their franchise forward under the new Tua regime.

6. Los Angeles Chargers - DT Derrick Brown, Auburn

Not the flashiest pick, but I love it. Brown is a man for the position, great size and straight-up girth. And then enter into the equation the athleticism. A complete player, with consistent effort and top-tier traits, this would be an excellent get for LA. Joey Bosa can play next to a player near his caliber, and opposing offensive lines will have their hands full with Bosa, Ingram, Brown, this defense will be a darkhorse to be really, really strong.

7. Carolina Panthers - CB Jeff Okudah, Ohio State

Clean, clean player here. With the way the board has shaken out, i.e. Tua and Burrow off the board, Carolina looks to position players and eyes the rich Buckeye tradition of producing excellent CBs. Size, length, agility, he’s got the goods to ultimately take on what is an excellent division for WRs - Michael Thomas, Mike Evans, Julio Jones … dare I go on? And oh by the way, Bradberry looks like a goner. An excellent pick here.

8. Arizona Cardinals - OT Jedrick Wills, Alabama

Yet another team is taking a big, fantastic blindside protector for the young signal caller. The Cardinals need more rock-solid talent like Wills to help Kyler Murray reach his full potential. A bit shorter … maybe not the biggest … way too many nitpicky comments out there about Wills. The guy flat-out gets it done, consistently and with great finish. And again, let’s look at the division - the 49ers defense is pretty good, as is Aaron Donald. 

9. Jacksonville Jaguars - OG / OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa

It’s amazing to think the Jags were 14-2 two seasons ago, 2017. Now they are a complete mess, fired football czar Tom Coughlin amidst a complete mess with generational talent Jalen Ramsey, the culture is simply off. It does seem like they can win with Gardner Minshew though, and the Jags bring in the big, stout, and super athletic Wirfs here to give Minshew a fair shot. Whether he can replace Cam Robinson on the blindside or shifts inside, they’ll make that call, but regardless he will immediately help this offensive unit become more consistent.

10. Cleveland Browns - DT Javon Kinlaw, South Carolina

The Browns had lofty expectations in 2019, but vastly failed to meet those. Kinlaw’s huge size and athletic steps give them an opportunity to become a serious gamewrecker at the next level, to hopefully pair with Garrett once he gets through his own issues. But the Browns get back to the basics, building through the DL, take the best player available, and look to get this defense going with this selection here.

11. New York Jets- OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia

It is extremely tempting to draft one of the top wide receivers here but with the insane amount of depth at this position they decide to go a safer route with Thomas out of Georgia.  He may not have the talent/skill set that matches the three tackles to go ahead of him but he is a safe prospect who will make an immediate contribution at either tackle/guard and protect Sam Darnold for years to come. In addition as an excellent run blocker, he will be a boon for Leveon Bell.

12. Las Vegas Raiders- QB Jordan Love, Utah

John Gruden and Mike Mayock did not choose Derrick Carr and even though they are saying a lot about Derek Carr being the starting quarterback of this team, I believe this is the time they take their own guy and let him develop behind Carr. Love is everything you look for in a quarterback physically and even after a real down year last year with tons of interceptions his talent is too juicy to pass up for the relocating Raiders who have the luxury to gamble with another first round pick.

13. Indianapolis Colts- QB Justin Herbert, Oregon

Jacoby Brisset is not getting strong endorsements from the Colts brass going into this off season and it seems very likely they will look to grab a quarterback early and I believe they will be thrilled with Justin Herbert even though he is the fourth quarterback taken in this draft so far. Besides inconsistencies at times with his accuracy, Herbert has very strong tools which make you believe that he has the ability to be a quarterback of the future for the Colts. Even though Brisset was not a major liability, Herbert has way more upside and gives the team a chance to be more successful in the future.

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- OT Austin Jackson, USC

The Buccaneers have a dreadful offensive line and even though Jackson may not be able to contribute immediately right away as a 20 year old prospect he has upside which is exciting for any team.  The Buccaneers are in a state of flux right now with the unknown future of Winston but whether it is Winston, a free agent quarterback or a rookie, it is imperative they get there line fixed up and Jackson is a great place to start. With some improved strength/coaching, Jackson can be an anchor for whatever quarterback is under center.

15. Denver Broncos- WR Jerry Jeudy, Alabama

Drew Lock will be going absolutely nuts if John Elway can grab Jeudy here. I believe that Jeudy is the perfect complement to the big bodied Sutton as an immensely talented route runner who will immediately give the Broncos a top tier wide receiver tandem. I believe that Jeudy slides a tad bit more then expected in this draft due to the depth of the class and even though the Broncos may have other pressing needs, this gives Lock the best chance to succeed in the present/future.

16. Atlanta Falcons- DE AJ Epenesa, Iowa

The Falcons had tremendous issues on the defensive side of the ball last year and even though Epenesa may not have that upside of Falcons edge rusher picks in the past such as Beasley or McKinley, you know what your going to get in Epenesa as a lunch pail type end who will end up with a respectable amount of sacks even without the elite traits that other edge rushes possess. With a series of misses in past drafts, Epenesa gives the Falcons a high floor edge rusher who will start from day 1.

17. Dallas Cowboys- S, Xavier McKinney, Alabama

This is a run to the podium pick for the Cowboys. A glaring position of need for this team is safety and McKinnely is the top player at his position and one of the top players in the draft who has all the tools/intangibles to help this defense out from the jump. It will be very tempting to go with a wideout here with the indecision regarding Cooper/Prescott but Jerry goes smart here and takes a guy in McKinney who will go from leading the Crimson Tide defense to leading the Cowboy defense in the back end.

18. Miami Dolphins- WR, Henry Ruggs, Alabama

I just do not see the Dolphins taking Swift or any other back here, you see time and time again later round backs making huge contributions so I believe they decide to pair Tua with his old running mate in Henry Ruggs. Ruggs has blistering speed with a 4.27 40 and has the toughness to match which allows him to be utilized in all phases of the game. Even though receiver is not a glaring need for this team, Ruggs ability along with his history with Tua makes this an intriguing pick for the Fins.

19. Oakland Raiders- WR, CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma

When you are taking a wide receiver in this draft it comes down to personal preference. No matter what you prefer or what you are looking for, If you have eyes you can see that Lamb is an absolute beast. Lamb routinely made spectacular plays in the open field while catching everything that came his way. Lamb has all the tools of a number one receiver and with Derek Carr or potentially Jordan Love or some other qb throwing him the ball a guy like Lamb makes that job a lot easier.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars- Edge, K’Lavon Chaisson, LSU

Even though LSU edge rushers have not made the jump successfully to the NFL lately, I believe that the athleticism of Chisson will be too tantalizing to pass up for the Jags. A combination of Allen and Chaisson could prove nightmarish for years to come and with seasoned coaching, I believe that Chaisson can be a consistent double digit sack guy in his career.

21. Philadelphia Eagles-CB, CJ Henderson, Florida

Chris Jr. is the 2nd best corner in this draft and will immediately help a depleted Eagles defensive secondary. He has the ability to mix and match in a variety of coverage and has the speed to track down speedy receivers. It also helps that he put up great numbers at the combine.This guy will make an impact for years to come.

22. Buffalo Bills- Edge, Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State

With the top wide receivers off the board and such a deep class of receivers, the Bills take the next best edge rusher. Matos is a very underrated edge rusher in this draft and will shine for an already stacked Bills defense. He has the size and athleticism that will translate well at the next level. To think that this defense can get better is scary!

23. New England Patriots- S, Grant Delpit, LSU

I could see the Patriots trading away this pick but instead the Patriots look to take the best player available. The Patriots want to keep that title of number one defensive by adding a versatile, aggressive player in Delpit. 

24. New Orleans Saints- LB, Patrick Queen, LSU

Queen is a savage who will immediately start for the Saints. He has the speed to cover sideline to sideline and keep up with these pass catching running backs which allows him to play all three downs. Queen is a tackling machine and has great awareness during play. He has an unstoppable motor and will play hard every down. Opposing teams will have a hard time stopping this guy. It is a steal for the Saints at this spot in the draft.

25. Minnesota Vikings- CB, Jaylon Johnson, Utah

The Vikings need help at the CB position and Johnson will help fill that void. He is a day 1 starter who can cover the outside and in the slot. He does not shy away from making tackles and loves to be involved in the run game. His technique will transition well at the next level. He is an aggressive player that will fit well in this tough Zimmer defense. This guy will be a great corner for years to come.

26. Miami Dolphins- Edge, Julian Okwara, Notre Dame

Okwara is a super athletic speed rusher who is at his best when he is able to jump off of the snap. He can make an immediate impact for a Dolphins team that is in desperate need of someone who can get pressure on the quarterback. He needs a little coaching for his technique but this guy can definitely be a problem for opposing offenses.

27. Seattle Seahawks- OT, Joshua Jones, Houston

Jones has the ideal frame and size for this position. He has great awareness and has shown that he can be a top tackle. Some question that he stands a little tall at the line but with the help of a little coaching that can be fixed. Jones will help protect Wilson and open up the run game which will allow this Seattle team to compete at a high level again this year.

28. Baltimore Ravens- DT, Ross Blacklock, TCU

Blacklock is a force on the interior. He has a dynamic skill set where he can rush the passer and shed blocks to stop the run. Some question his durability but there is no denying this kids talent. He has the potential to develop into one of the top DT in the league. 

29. Tennessee Titans- Edge, Marlon Davidson, Auburn

Davidson is a thick and strong defensive linemen. He was typically lined up on the outside but he has the ability to line-up on the interior as well. He is a stud against the run shedding blocks and has the skill set to rush the passer as well. Davidson falling this far down is a steal for the Titans.

30. Green Bay Packers- WR, Justin Jefferson, LSU

Jefferson continues to rise up the draft boards. He is tall and lanky but he will put on some muscle over the next couple of years. He has the ability to line-up in the slot and on the outside. This Packers offense could use another elite playmaker next to Adams, and Jones. Jefferson will be able to step in immediately and give this Packers offense another great weapon.

31. San Francisco 49ers- CB, A.J. Terrell, Clemson

Terrell has a strong college resume. He can play in a variety of coverages, has great ball awareness and can make all the necessary tackles. With Richard Sherman not getting any younger, and the necessity for depth on defense they could use a player like Terrell who has the potential to grow into a great corner.

32. Kansas City Chiefs- RB, D’Andre Swift, Georgia

The superbowl champs add the best RB in this class and another playmaker to this already studly offense. Swift has great power, vision and quickness and his skill set will translate well at the next level. The Chiefs will look to repeat after adding a star talent like Swift to their roster.

• Like 1

I have not rated yet but while the Vikings do need to look at CB in this draft I don't feel reaching for someone like Johnson is the answer here. I do like the time and effort this draft shows however. I will check out the other teams selections and then make my final grade.

C+ After pick 24 you started reaching, drafting players that IMO are not 1st rnd talent. If I went according to the draft and selected the same position as you did for us I would select Kristian Fulton. And with 5 OT's gone that would probably be my pick even if I could change positions from what you had. I would also give consideration to Gallimore.

It's a pretty good mock. I don't love Epenesa for a starting EDGE due to his poor testing, HOWEVER, I think the Falcons could see him as a perfect base SDE and nickel rusher that they haven't had during Quinn's entire tenure. They would have to focus on finding a true EDGE though like Terrell Lewis in the 2nd.

Looks great.

Finally someone prioritizes the big boys for us. We'll see what FA brings/Ngakoue situation but right now we badly need interior OL/someone to push Cam at LT, interior DL help (historically bad stretch last year run D wise), and a pass rusher to spell Calais is Yan is gone.

19 hours ago, vshank8182 said:

5. Miami Dolphins - QB Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama

Fins up. Tua is an excellent rhythm passer - quick, crisp, and intelligent, this is a no-brainer to me. The injury is a red-flag, but if this checks out clean this will be a great pick. Dolphins grab their QB of the future, have a nice stable of young pass catchers, and will work to move their franchise forward under the new Tua regime.

18. Miami Dolphins- WR, Henry Ruggs, Alabama

I just do not see the Dolphins taking Swift or any other back here, you see time and time again later round backs making huge contributions so I believe they decide to pair Tua with his old running mate in Henry Ruggs. Ruggs has blistering speed with a 4.27 40 and has the toughness to match which allows him to be utilized in all phases of the game. Even though receiver is not a glaring need for this team, Ruggs ability along with his history with Tua makes this an intriguing pick for the Fins.

26. Miami Dolphins- Edge, Julian Okwara, Notre Dame

Okwara is a super athletic speed rusher who is at his best when he is able to jump off of the snap. He can make an immediate impact for a Dolphins team that is in desperate need of someone who can get pressure on the quarterback. He needs a little coaching for his technique but this guy can definitely be a problem for opposing offenses.

No thank you. The only way Miami doesn't draft an OT in the 1st is if they acquire a LT and RT in free agency. 

Okwara is a Day 2 guy in my opinion and DE is a position I think Miami is going to target in free agency. Also keep in mind that the Dolphins will value a Trey Flowers type of lineman, 260+ lbs with a long wingspan and hand-size. The guy doesn't have to be super athletic. 

This is probably one of the better mocks that I've seen. Not cookie cutter but very possible.

I like the draft for the Jags. At that first spot, Wirfs makes a much of sense for all of the reasons you listed. If not him, I would have looked at either Kinlaw or Thomas. 

The Saints could really go any number of directions. #2 LB is a need and Queen would probably be a good fit there. Jefferson at WR would also be a real possibility...as he would be a natural fit opposite Michael Thomas.

Well done