Bears bring back Trevathan - 3 years

beardown3231

Only worry is DT's ability to stay healthy. If he does, it's a great idea. I hope they keep KPL too.

Kwiatkoski is as good as gone. Good for him though. Go get that money, Nick! I can see the Giants, Packers, Broncos, Raiders and Jaguars all trying to obtain his services.

Edited by beardown3231

43 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

As I expected. Kwiatkowski is probably asking for more than Bears were willing to pay him plus Danny is a key cog on that D. Nice move.

Be nice to know the terms of DT's deal.

I expect Pace has talked numbers with Kwiatkoski but he wants to allow FA to set his MV and I can't say I blame him.  He played his way into a bigger better deal so let's see what happens.  I expect he'll be offered more than we'd like to pay but it hasn't happened yet.

We don't know yet whether signing DT precludes also signing Kwit as much as it shows that Pace has protected himself by locking up a starter he needed.  DT badly wanted to return so he may have agreed to some very team friendly terms and left some $$$ on the table.

• Like 1

Cool. Agree to this likely being a team friendly deal too. 

My guess: 3/$18M with $9.5M guaranteed, including $3M signing bonus. Base salary 2020 $4M fully guaranteed, 2021 $5M base ($2.5M guaranteed), 2022 $6M base (non-guaranteed). 
Cap hits 5/6/7. 

29 minutes ago, soulman said:

We don't know yet whether signing DT precludes also signing Kwit

With all the talk about Kwit being the offseason priority, to see DT sign now I think is a really strong indication they know they can’t afford to keep Kwit without sacrificing other need areas. With how much money is out there with teams with an ILB need I could see Kwit getting $9-10M AAV with multi-year guarantees. Not only could we not compete with that but it opens up a shot at another round 3/4 comp pick in 2021 when he signs that deal elsewhere. The more we sign guys to 2nd contracts the more we’re gonna need to be able to add real contributors through the draft and as such maximizing the volume of those picks is paramount. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

With all the talk about Kwit being the offseason priority, to see DT sign now I think is a really strong indication they know they can’t afford to keep Kwit without sacrificing other need areas. With how much money is out there with teams with an ILB need I could see Kwit getting $9-10M AAV with multi-year guarantees. Not only could we not compete with that but it opens up a shot at another round 3/4 comp pick in 2021 when he signs that deal elsewhere. The more we sign guys to 2nd contracts the more we’re gonna need to be able to add real contributors through the draft and as such maximizing the volume of those picks is paramount. 

I'd agree.  All I was saying is based on what facts we do have WE don't know if this closes out Kwit or not.  But my hunch is like yours.

My position all along has been that Kwit is a player just hitting his prime vs DT who may or may not be leaving his behind but we do know for certain that we're likely to need a good backup for him because of his injury history.  But if I compare them side by side either way Pace elected to go we have a solid playing partner for Smith.  I've always been a DT fan and wanted badly for us to sign him when we did.

While I hate to lose a player we selected and developed it happens all the time and in the past we've more typically been the beneficiaries of that signing players just like Kwit who were unaffordable to their teams.  In truth losing players but getting comp picks for them tells us our approach to developing our own talent is working.  And there must be something to it as far as success is concerned since NE seems loaded with comp picks nearly every year.  Aren't they getting four of them this year?

2 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

I hope it's not for a lot. He looked old and didn't play as well with Roquan. I prefer him as our #3. 

I don't expect this to anymore than 8M APY. He has made a little over 7 per year over the last 2 seasons. This 8 APY would give him a bump but not over the top either for a player at his age working on his 3rd contract.. 

I would have been happy with either Trevathan or Kwiatkowski coming back, but I think this is the safer (and cheaper) move. Kwit has only played at that really high level for five or six games over four years, so who knows whether they were an outlier or if he has genuinely made significant strides. Basically, to use the draft prospect metaphor; I think Kwit has a higher ceiling if he carries on playing like he did at the end of 2019, but Trevathan has a higher floor - and Trevathan's ceiling is high enough anyway.

Hope Kwit goes on to shine somewhere (somewhere not in the NFC North), but we just re-signed one of our key leaders so really happy to see Trevathan back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I don't expect this to anymore than 8M APY. He has made a little over 7 per year over the last 2 seasons. This 8 APY would give him a bump but not over the top either for a player at his age working on his 3rd contract.. 

8 mil a year would be an absolute horrible contract. 

• Like 1