Bears bring back Trevathan - 3 years

beardown3231

9 hours ago, soulman said:

Be nice to know the terms of DT's deal.

I expect Pace has talked numbers with Kwiatkoski but he wants to allow FA to set his MV and I can't say I blame him.  He played his way into a bigger better deal so let's see what happens.  I expect he'll be offered more than we'd like to pay but it hasn't happened yet.

We don't know yet whether signing DT precludes also signing Kwit as much as it shows that Pace has protected himself by locking up a starter he needed.  DT badly wanted to return so he may have agreed to some very team friendly terms and left some $$$ on the table.

This signing all but confirms that Kwit has played his last down in a Bears uniform. They are not going to committ that much money to the ILB position and Kwit will want a chance to start elsewhere which he won't get with the Bears now unless Danny or Roquan are unable to play. It's over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This signing all but confirms that Kwit has played his last down in a Bears uniform. They are not going to committ that much money to the ILB position and Kwit will want a chance to start elsewhere which he won't get with the Bears now unless Danny or Roquan are unable to play. It's over. 

Could we see Floyd traded/cut and Kwit signed to take his spot? I'd like to see it happen

• Like 1

FWIW: https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/13/chicago-bears-five-takeaways-from-linebacker-danny-trevathan-extension/

The specifics of his deal have not yet been posted but it's rumored to be worth as much as $24 mil over three years.

In essence DT has agreed to keep playing for about what's he's been getting with some achievable incentives that could bump the deal up a bit.  IMHO it's the kind of a deal a core player who wants to remain with his team is willing to accept much like Leno and Massie have done.

If I was Ryan Pace I'd wish all of my decision offered two good choices so all I had to do is decide which was the better of them.  That's how I've seen this one.  Either way he went we kept a good football player and our defense largely intact at ILB so that's a positive.

One thing I'm sitting here wondering though is what impact this may have on Pace's decision regarding Floyd and as crazy as this may sound initially whether it may be better to release Floyd and sign Kwiatkoski but move him to OLB.  Or is it that crazy after all?

Just now, The_Romen said:

Could we see Floyd traded/cut and Kwit signed to take his spot? I'd like to see it happen

Ya beat me to it brother.  Great minds think alike.  Kwit had as many sacks from his ILB spot in half as many starts as Floyd did, he also plays the run well, and he'd be less exposed in coverage.   I like to think outside the box too.  :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

One thing that has kept popping up throughout is that regardless of how well Kwit has played when asked to step into a starting role for whatever reason two Bears DCs have still seen him more as a super-sub than a starter.  He's filled in admirably for DT or another ILB  several times but each time DT has regained his health he's also regained his starting role.

His dependability also didn't stop Pace from spending a top ten pick on Roquan Smith either.  So it seems to me we see some things internally others may not because Kwit has always been a backup and never seen as a front line starter for us.  A logical guess would be that we see him much like we did Amos.  Valuable but only to a certain $$$ level we won't go beyond.

32 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

So basically he's playing on what's essentially an extension of his old deal which paid him $7 mil AAV with another $750k in roster or workout bonuses and then some incentives that could boost the AAV to $8 mil.  Good deal for both sides if he can stay healthy.

This is about what I expected with a higher guarantee, which Pace routinely does.

I guess the rumors of Kwik getting 10/season are probably true.

I am fine with the signing, it is more than I would have liked, but over paid is going to be relative when the cap explodes.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is about what I expected with a higher guarantee, which Pace routinely does.

I guess the rumors of Kwik getting 10/season are probably true.

I am fine with the signing, it is more than I would have liked, but over paid is going to be relative when the cap explodes.

Structure will matter. If a huge chunk of that guarantee is in a signing bonus his cap number this year could reasonably be as low as about $5M.

To me this number only gives me more reason to think Floyd won’t be playing under the option number. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Structure will matter. If a huge chunk of that guarantee is in a signing bonus his cap number this year could reasonably be as low as about $5M.

To me this number only gives me more reason to think Floyd won’t be playing under the option number. 

My problem is guaranteeing fully 2 years to a guy who has played 16 games once as a Bear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My problem is guaranteeing fully 2 years to a guy who has played 16 games once as a Bear.

Which is an issue I have as well but let's say for a moment that Pace offered a similar deal to Kwit who turned it down preferring instead to allow FA to set his MV.  And let's also say Kwit gets offers in the $10 mil AAV range.  So which way would you have gone?

I think we can all agree that Pace needed to keep one or the other and of course most thought DT would be far cheaper to sign.  I never thought that would be the case but when you consider he essentially signed for what he got four years ago it's a pretty team friendly deal.

Spotrac hasn't posted the details yet but I'm pretty certain there's a healthy SB coupled with a low 2020 salary so his current cap hit will be far less than $7-$8 mil and we can probably step away after 2021 if needed without much dead cap.  IMHO it's a fair deal.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Is it that much more risky than the alternative of signing a guy in Kwit who was a backup caliber player for all but half a season to an even bigger deal? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Is it that much more risky than the alternative of signing a guy in Kwit who was a backup caliber player for all but half a season to an even bigger deal? 

LOL......yeah funny how some figured DT would be so much cheaper like maybe a 1 year HHC-D kinda deal.  Here's the kinda $$$ ILB are getting in 2020.  DT's deal has him ranked 11th.  If Kwit gets offered a top ten deal he could easily be over $10 mil AAV.

2020 Inside Linebacker Average Rankings

1 Bobby Wagner

Bobby Wagner

Inside Linebacker
$18,000,000
2 C.J. Mosley

C.J. Mosley

Inside Linebacker
$17,000,000
3 Deion Jones

Deion Jones

Inside Linebacker
$14,250,000
  Myles Jack

Myles Jack

Inside Linebacker
$14,250,000
5 Kwon Alexander

Kwon Alexander

Inside Linebacker
$13,500,000
6 Jaylon Smith

Jaylon Smith

Inside Linebacker
$11,403,500
7 Benardrick McKinney

Benardrick McKinney

Inside Linebacker
$10,000,000
  Eric Kendricks

Eric Kendricks

Inside Linebacker
$10,000,000
9 Anthony Hitchens

Anthony Hitchens

Inside Linebacker
$9,000,000
10 Jordan Hicks

Jordan Hicks

Inside Linebacker
$8,500,000
11 Danny Trevathan

Danny Trevathan

Inside Linebacker
$8,000,000
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I don't think Kwiatowksi has proven he can play the spot. I'd wager he'd be better than Floyd at 3-4 OLB, though. How much better? Dunno.