Hit the Rhodes Xavier... and don't you come back no more no more

The Gnat

30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

How about signing Anthony Harris instead of either of them.  Alexander maybe because I cannot imagine he would be asking for a ton of cash, he might be fine with around 2 million a year.  

$2M a year?!?! What are you smoking???

• Like 2

Anyways, I'm not surprised that Rhodes and Joseph are gone. I'd just like to see Joseph back on a cheaper deal.

I don't like cutting Morgan. He's a great blocking TE.

I would like us to re-sign Alexander but he's strictly a NCB. He's probably not worth the contract. Hughes immediately takes over there.

Waynes is average and Hill can't be relied on.

We need CB help in a big way.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Yeah, Alexander is probably looking at between $7M and $9M per year. 

I just do not view Alexander as one of the best slot corners in the NFL, if he gets $9 million a year that would be crazy.  Great for him but he is not worth that, had a good year last season but the fact he cannot really play the outside corner makes him a lot less valuable not to mention his injury history.  

Bryce Callahan, KWaun Williams, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, Nickell Robey-Coleman,  Emmanuel Moseley, Bradley Roby, Brain Poole etc are all better slot corners I feel.  But if the market is that high they have no choice but to draft a corner.  I will still rather wait till after the 1st to get one, get someone like Bryce Hall or Amik Robertson 2nd round, or Ojemudia 3rd round or the likes of Tony Pride, Jaylon Johnson, Essang Bassey or Myles Bryant.  

According to this Rhodes was the 3rd highest paid CB in the NFL, so of course is great to get that cash back in some regard.

https://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

So we are looking at potentially 3 compensatory draft picks in the 3rd round in 2021 just from our  FA defensive backfield?

My guess right now is two 3rds (Harris and Waynes) and a 4th (Alexander).

But yes, I can’t imagine we’ll sign anyone that would negate the loss of these three. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Anyways, I'm not surprised that Rhodes and Joseph are gone. I'd just like to see Joseph back on a cheaper deal.

I don't like cutting Morgan. He's a great blocking TE.

I would like us to re-sign Alexander but he's strictly a NCB. He's probably not worth the contract. Hughes immediately takes over there.

Waynes is average and Hill can't be relied on.

We need CB help in a big way.

*Seems if new CBA is passed we may not need to worry about Hill. 

Alexander is effectively a starter given how much teams trot out 3 WRs. 

Hughes and *Hill outside with Mac in the slot isn’t terrible IMO. Depth certainly takes a hit and that’s what they’ll need to address via the draft most likely. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

*Seems if new CBA is passed we may not need to worry about Hill. 

Alexander is effectively a starter given how much teams trot out 3 WRs. 

Hughes and *Hill outside with Mac in the slot isn’t terrible IMO. Depth certainly takes a hit and that’s what they’ll need to address via the draft most likely. 

I’d imagine that the Vikes will replace Rhodes with a veteran on the cheap. Maybe someone like Dennard if he’s healthy. Or will he be pricey? Thought he was merely okay and has an injury. I’d expect the Vikes to look at a CB early in the draft. Not sure what happens at slot CB.

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

What contracts will we move on from next year? Reiff? Rudy? They’re the only bad contracts left, right? 

Kirk’s expires after the season, currently, so I’m not counting him. 

I’d argue that Barr is a bad contract for the position.

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d argue that Barr is a bad contract for the position.

True, still wish he was asked to do more in terms of being a pass rusher on nickle downs, maybe if Griffen is gone they will try Barr as a stand up edge rusher on nickle situations.  

Rashaan Melvin, Jalen Mills and PJ Williams, Arthur Maulet could be reasonable CBs to get in terms of price, if anyone gets a lot as a slot type corner it would be Mike Hilton.  I would be shocked if Alexander gets a bigger contract than Hilton does.  

But those guys are not great options at CB, would be great to use the money we gave Rhodes and give to another high level corner but not sure that will happen with inflation.  

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, still wish he was asked to do more in terms of being a pass rusher on nickle downs, maybe if Griffen is gone they will try Barr as a stand up edge rusher on nickle situations.  

Rashaan Melvin, Jalen Mills and PJ Williams, Arthur Maulet could be reasonable CBs to get in terms of price, if anyone gets a lot as a slot type corner it would be Mike Hilton.  I would be shocked if Alexander gets a bigger contract than Hilton does.  

But those guys are not great options at CB, would be great to use the money we gave Rhodes and give to another high level corner but not sure that will happen with inflation.  

I wish he would have taken that deal with the Jets. I have nothing against him just didn’t seem like a real smart move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

My guess right now is two 3rds (Harris and Waynes) and a 4th (Alexander).

But yes, I can’t imagine we’ll sign anyone that would negate the loss of these three. 

you definitely have to sign a deal for more than $11 mil AAV plus have the playing time, etc. that goes along with it to net a 3rd. alexander definitely won't get that and i think it's very debateable waynes or harris get $11 mil AAV and if they do it likely won't be much more. i'd guess two 4th rounders and a 5th, without seeing any of the other deals signed. 

it also depends who we sign in free agency. i'm hoping that kearse and weatherly qualify in the compensatory pick formula to cancel out any players we sign. if dan bailey is too rich for our purse then he could net a comp pick too after his good year kicking. assuming we don't retain any of the five defensive players mentioned, we should definitely end up with a few comp picks because we won't have enough cap space to make more than one or two external FA signings worth a 5th/6th comp pick lost. 

honestly with the amount of roster holes we have to fill and the limited cap space to do so, i could see rick trying to double the 10 picks he already has available. 

• Like 1