Lions released Rick Wagner.

flyguy1609

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am shocked, but mainly just because it was the right thing to do and we never do that. 

It's only the right thing to do if we have a replacement level player lined up. We're still eating $5M+ of dead cap and it's another hole to fill. 

I'm not suggesting that I wanted to keep Wagner but I'd rather hold onto him (with that amount of dead money) and hope last year was just due to injuries than rely solely on Crosby to be our RT. Let them battle it out and/or see if Wagner could move inside. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It's only the right thing to do if we have a replacement level player lined up. We're still eating $5M+ of dead cap and it's another hole to fill. 

I'm not suggesting that I wanted to keep Wagner but I'd rather hold onto him (with that amount of dead money) and hope last year was just due to injuries than rely solely on Crosby to be our RT. Let them battle it out and/or see if Wagner could move inside. 

Wagner was below replacement level caliber last year, and we saved $5M to get rid of him.  That is the right move.  Crosby graded out better and is cheaper, so at worst, we are saving $5M for a better player to play. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wagner was below replacement level caliber last year, and we saved $5M to get rid of him.  That is the right move.  Crosby graded out better and is cheaper, so at worst, we are saving $5M for a better player to play. 

What's your preference going into the season? Crosby and the draft? Conklin and Crosby? something else?

Just now, LionArkie said:

What's your preference going into the season? Crosby and the draft? Conklin and Crosby? something else?

I've been on the Conklin wagon for a while.  I also would not be opposed to drafting one in the first few rounds to compete with Crosby.  I am ok if crosby is the starter even though I would like to upgrade the position still. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I've been on the Conklin wagon for a while.  I also would not be opposed to drafting one in the first few rounds to compete with Crosby.  I am ok if crosby is the starter even though I would like to upgrade the position still. 

I like Conklin too. Just have been saying all along, you get rid of Wagner and we eat the $5M.... a guy like Conklin is effectively going to mean we're paying $20M at RT. So I hope to hell that Conklin is that much better of a player. 

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I like Conklin too. Just have been saying all along, you get rid of Wagner and we eat the $5M.... a guy like Conklin is effectively going to mean we're paying $20M at RT. So I hope to hell that Conklin is that much better of a player. 

I get what you are doing but it just isn't how I look at things.  I see Rt as an important position to this team and we have had below average play there for a long time.  If we can improve that position, along with RG, we improve our run game, our pass game, and our time of possession which improves our defense.  That dead money is sunk cost, you have to ignore it because its spent either way, and will go away next year.  The amount we give Conklin can be structured to not be as big of a hit in year 1, and upgrades the position drastically.  We have money to spend and I have felt along with DE and DT, RT is one of the biggest holes which is why I want to spend the money on Conklin.  

I'd rather have Conklin and Roby/Waynes than Byron Jones and scrubby RT. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get what you are doing but it just isn't how I look at things.  I see Rt as an important position to this team and we have had below average play there for a long time.  If we can improve that position, along with RG, we improve our run game, our pass game, and our time of possession which improves our defense.  That dead money is sunk cost, you have to ignore it because its spent either way, and will go away next year.  The amount we give Conklin can be structured to not be as big of a hit in year 1, and upgrades the position drastically.  We have money to spend and I have felt along with DE and DT, RT is one of the biggest holes which is why I want to spend the money on Conklin.  

I'd rather have Conklin and Roby/Waynes than Byron Jones and scrubby RT. 

If Conklin's contract is structured in such a way, then yes... it's an upward move playing wise while a lateral move financially. Which would be a positive. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I mean, we could pay $11M for below average (borderline poor) RT play or we can pay $9M more for very good RT play. Refusing to pay that $9M because Wagner's dead cap exists would be flawed reasoning a huge mistake, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd rather have Conklin and Roby/Waynes than Byron Jones and scrubby RT

Hell to the NO! Conklin at 14 mil a year? F--- That! Give me Jones and start Crosby at RT before I pay Conkin that amount.

Hell trade Slay for Trent Williams and move Decker to RT! If we cant get a 2nd rd pick for Slay I would rather a player for player swap and get Trent Williams.

Edited by BZski

18 minutes ago, BZski said:

Hell to the NO! Conklin at 14 mil a year? F--- That! Give me Jones and start Crosby at RT before I pay Conkin that amount.

Hell trade Slay for Trent Williams and move Decker to RT! If we cant get a 2nd rd pick for Slay I would rather a player for player swap and get Trent Williams.

I personally want little to do with Trent Williams: he wants that same Conklin contract, at 32 years old, he hasn't played for a year and hasn't shown that he can stay on the field. I would much rather sign Conklin for that contract than give WAS a resource for an older, oft-injured player on the same contract.

• Like 1

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I personally want little to do with Trent Williams: he wants that same Conklin contract, at 32 years old, he hasn't played for a year and hasn't shown that he can stay on the field. I would much rather sign Conklin for that contract than give WAS a resource for an older, oft-injured player on the same contract.

Trent Williams even with a year off is twice the OT that Conklin is. NOT...EVEN...CLOSE! I get the age thing but OTs tend to play longer i.e. Whitworth, Jason Peters, etc...My thing is that we are trading Slay, I dont think there is any argument there, if we cannot get a 2nd for him I would rather role the dice and trade for Trent Williams. There are injury concerns but when he plays he is still ELITE LT.