Lions released Rick Wagner.

flyguy1609

12 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Based on? His 4% sack rate? Him being part of nobody able to stop Henry in the run game? Explain please. 

TEN throws like 15 times a game. Henry is a BEAST. Conklin is a solid run blocker. Ok Conklin is slightly above average, does that make you feel better? Still not worth north of $14 mil a year and still in no way, shape, or form ELITE.

29 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Real stats. 957 snaps. 3 sacks. 5 penalties. 

pretty elite stats. 

Conklin had a higher PFF grade last year than Trent Williams in 2018.  Williams last elite year was 2016.  williams will cost more in dollars and trade comp. so yeah, I'd much rather have Conklin than hope Williams can be what he was four years ago. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bishop86 said:

I wonder why Conklin's 5th year option wasn't picked up.

Probably because they have one of the highest paid LTs and LGs already on their roster, didn't feel like giving another top contract to the same position group and have other needs to spend cap space on.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Probably because they have one of the highest paid LTs and LGs already on their roster, didn't feel like giving another top contract to the same position group and have other needs to spend cap space on.

I guess..... but locking up a top 5 RT for below market value sounds like a win to me, especially to a team that relies as much as anyone on running the ball.  Additionally, they have $64 mil in cap space. 

23 minutes ago, Bishop86 said:

I guess..... but locking up a top 5 RT for below market value sounds like a win to me, especially to a team that relies as much as anyone on running the ball.  Additionally, they have $64 mil in cap space. 

I doubt that they want to pay Lewan $18M and Conklin $15M, while already paying Saffold $12M and Jones $6M. They have a lot of cap space, sure, but are on the brink of having to pay Ryan Tannehill (likely the franchise tag salary of $26.8M) and Derrick Henry (a massive, market-setting contract). In addition, they let Logan Ryan walk, so they'll have to consider doing something at CB.

It looks like they have a lot of space, but they've got some big deals incoming and some holes to fill. Investing $51M into the OLine may not make financial sense for them right now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I doubt that they want to pay Lewan $18M and Conklin $15M, while already paying Saffold $12M and Jones $6M. They have a lot of cap space, sure, but are on the brink of having to pay Ryan Tannehill (likely the franchise tag salary of $26.8M) and Derrick Henry (a massive, market-setting contract). In addition, they let Logan Ryan walk, so they'll have to consider doing something at CB.

It looks like they have a lot of space, but they've got some big deals incoming and some holes to fill. Investing $51M into the OLine may not make financial sense for them right now.

The 5th year option for an Offensive lineman would be $11-12 mil. They could have picked it up and still had more cap space than us, with less holes to fill. I do believe Conklin is an upgrade to Wagner, but I get the argument that he is not worth top dollar. Tennessee might have seen something a PFF score might not translate.