Looking Back, What do You Think of the Sweat Trade Now?

MKnight82

13 minutes ago, taylor made said:

This was my main point in the Preston Smith vs Montez Sweat thread. The trade sucked at the time and it sucks now too. We are losing out on a high 2nd round pick which is almost a first rounder . This would be a perfect spot to draft someone like Antoine Winfield, Jr. at. AJ Brown or DK Metcalf were there for the taking in the second round last year. Good teams double down on positions all the time, so to say we wouldn't have taken McLaurin as well when we had Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson penciled in as starters doesn't fly with me.

Sweat was the best graded player on the board by far at the time we traded up and we didn't think he’d last to us in round 2. He's already turned into a good player, and may still develop into a great player over the next year or two. 

Saying well we could have taken Brown or Metcalf & gotten so and so this year doesn't mean the trade-up was bad. I mean we don't even know if say Winfield, Jr. will become a good player yet.

This is something that needs to be revisited in two more years, but even then, people can always cherry-pick a player who turned out to be good in round 2 or 3 and say see, we could've gotten him & AJ Brown, DJ Metcalf or Terry McLaurin. When the truth probably is that that other player was not one we were targeting.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, taylor made said:

This was my main point in the Preston Smith vs Montez Sweat thread. The trade sucked at the time and it sucks now too. We are losing out on a high 2nd round pick which is almost a first rounder . This would be a perfect spot to draft someone like Antoine Winfield, Jr. at. AJ Brown or DK Metcalf were there for the taking in the second round last year. Good teams double down on positions all the time, so to say we wouldn't have taken McLaurin as well when we had Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson penciled in as starters doesn't fly with me.

I think I found the flaw in your thought process.  Can't really say the Redskins under Snyder/Allen/Gruden were a good team, and no telling how far their influences went, worked against each other, etc. 

• Like 2