Week 2 Thoughts and Observations

WindyCity

Week 2: Tampa Bay Thoughts and Observations

-Mike Glennon was horrendous. His horrendousness was even more obvious when you started to see screen shots of his various turnovers after the game. Adam Jahns did an excellent job of highlighting the fact that other options were open and Glennon, the pre snap and decision making champion, was locked on and predetermined throws that cost his team the game. His inability to move continues to plague the offense as again there were multiple plays where he should have stepped up or run the ball and could not. High Risk and Low Reward is absolutely no way for this team to win the game. On his lone TD, he threw an easy pick that was dropped right before that play, making it hard to even give him credit for the TD. The team keeps selling this narrative of a safe game manager, but the Bears have proven they are not talented enough to win with that style of QB and Glennon has proven that he is not that type of QB.

-Again I would not start Trubisky against Pittsburgh with a short week in GB right behind it. I send him in with 10 days to prep before Minnesota at home. I fully expect he will struggle against the Vikings defense.

-The Bears cannot run the ball and they will not be able to run the ball while Glennon plays. The opposing team shows 0 respect to him and crowds the box and sells out against the run. The Bucs had 9 guys within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage most of the game. Both their safeties were heavily involved in the run game and left the Bears out numbered on almost every play. That being said it was not a good game for the OL, who struggled with the speed at the 2nd level for the Bucs.

-Tarik Cohen simply cannot make that mistake again and I do not think he will. It looked like a guy trying to do way too much. The secret is obviously out about Cohen as the Bears had a more difficult time getting him free and involved.

-Jordan Howard clearly is not super healthy and cannot get rolling with the box stacked against him. The Bears may need to give him a game or two off and bring in some depth.

-The fact that Josh Bellamy is still on the team may be one of the more confounding things ever. 50% of the time he runs a nice route and catches the ball and 50% of the time he runs a garbage route and drops the ball. You cannot have a guy like that. Brad Biggs mentioned on the radio that he was talking to a scout from another team at the game and he said there team would have cut Bellamy after the Titans game last season. His point was that you have to send a message that dropping the ball is not an option, no matter the special teams value.

-At least Deonte Thompson catches the ball, most of the time.

-Nice to see Tanner Gentry get a couple catches, the drop was not cool, but it was also a player in his first game. If he can just consistently catch 3-4 passes a game I think that it would be a huge help to the WR core, especially considering his greatest trait is wasted with Glennon checking down.

-I would like to see if Markus Wheaton can make the WR less bad. The way I look at it Wheaton, Gentry and Thompson makes me a little less sick to my stomach and Wheaton being ready to go when Trubisky takes over would be nice, as he may push the ball down field.

-Adam Shaheen getting 5 reps in a blow out is a total joke and another strike against Fox. He cannot even lose productively. Shaheen, even if he is falling down, should get a ton of reps in the 2nd half of an *** kicking. The Bears need him to take a step forward and the only way to do that is to play him and let him build comfort and confidence. Here is an idea, lets throw him the ball once a game just to see what he does.

-Dion Sims had a forgettable day blocking, after a strong showing against Atlanta.

-The OL in general was a mess, injuries caused a ton of shuffling, and they struggled with the speed of the TB front. Kyle Long playing would have been huge as his ability to get to the 2nd level would have neutralized some of the speed.

-I thought Leno had a decent game. Whitehair playing 3 different positions is super impressive and Massie struggled at times. I worry that we are seeing the rapid decline of Josh Sitton as he doesn't seem like he is ever healthy.

-Considering the 14 points that the offense directly gave up, I thought the defense played okay. Again they got worn out and had to play way too many snaps, but I was expecting a bigger day from the Bucs offfense.

-The secondary was decent, holding Winston to 200 yards passing and only allowing 1 TD that was not aided by turnovers.

-The run defense again allowed less than 4 YPC, with continued injuries in the LB core. Goldman and Hicks continued to play strong run defense and be impossible to move.

-It is interesting me that Bullard has disappeared again. He seems to have failed to build off of a big preseason. It also appears that he has been passed in the rotation by Roy Robertson-Harris. I was hoping for more from Bullard.

-Roy Robertson-Harris continues to impress me. For a man who is 6'7' to play with his pad level and ability to bull rush is impressive. I love that they rush him from the NT position when Goldman needs a break. His height and wing span can really effect passing lanes from that spot and he is too quick for centres to handle 1 on 1. I would like to see him get some starting time, just to see if more reps lead to more production.

-Mitch Unrien has been good to start the season. I love to rag on him, but he has been good in the run and pass game.

-Danny Trevathan got a couple costly holding penalties and part of me wonders if it is nerves about his knee.

-Christian Jones had a really good preseason. I thought he missed a couple of tackles on Sunday and we are going to get a ton of time to see if he is a long term player or a versatile backup and special teams player. Jones has come a long way from the guy who looked lost a couple years ago and I hope he takes another step. The physical tools are there for him to be a monster.

-Leonard Floyd has been invisible as a pass rusher. He is making plays in other areas, but he was handled by Donovan Smith who is not an elite LT. I am hoping he can get going soon and that Fangio starts stunting him and mixing it up. Aldon Smith in SF was stunted and worked off of Justin Smith and I would like to see Floyd and Hicks start working together. Floyd needs to flash the hand use we saw in the preseason, way too much getting grabbed yesterday.

-Good to see Pernell force a fumble in his 5-6 snaps. The Bears have not gotten a ton from the OLB spot and it looks like McPhee may need to start playing more.

-I thought Marcus Cooper and Kyle Fuller were fine. They were not getting help from the pass rush and neither was getting beat for big plays against a super talented WR core. The TD by Evans was a great catch by a 6'5" WR and I thought Cooper played that as well as could be expected. Fuller continues to be near the ball and forcing contested catches.

-Quentin Demps has not shown me much of anything early in the season and I have not been impressed.

-Eddie Jackson was very active in run support and was much better tackling than he was week 1. He flashed through the line for a TFL and I thought he as a LB he came through so physically. With the black hole that safety has been his development is beyond important.

Fuller and Cooper both had good games. Both made some nice plays on the ball and were solid tackling. Both gave up a decent chunk reception to Evans, but contested most other catches.

Demps was useless as I thought.

Floyd got better as the game went on. Some nice late rushes.

Sitton was not great.

I thought Floyd had a pretty bad game. He didn't win any  1 on 1s and the LT he played against was just average. In all honesty, it seems the entire D line just got pushed around. It felt like they didn't come prepared and Tampa Bay were just more physical than they were.

Glennon had a terrible game agreed. His unwillingness or inability to throw deep just leaves us with a worse offense than last year. Barkley could throw deep along with Cutler. 

Glennon makes us worse. 

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is the least passionate I have felt about this team since prior to when I tried to cheer Matt Barkley into greatness... woof.

It really is pathetic that my apathy has set in already.

It really pissed me off watching the 2nd time how little time the young guys got in the 2nd half of a blow out.

Shaheen, Bullard, RRH, Gentry, should all be playing a ton. Instead we roll Hicks out and rip more tread off the tires in a meaningless loss.

Just now, Nads786 said:

I thought Floyd had a pretty bad game. He didn't win any  1 on 1s and the LT he played against was just average. In all honesty, it seems the entire D line just got pushed around. It felt like they didn't come prepared and Tampa Bay were just more physical than they were.

Glennon had a terrible game agreed. His unwillingness or inability to throw deep just leaves us with a worse offense than last year. Barkley could throw deep along with Cutler. 

Glennon makes us worse. 

He started winning in the 2nd half and was a step late on a couple of sacks.

1st half he was invisible.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It really pissed me off watching the 2nd time how little time the young guys got in the 2nd half of a blow out.

Shaheen, Bullard, RRH, Gentry, should all be playing a ton. Instead we roll Hicks out and rip more tread off the tires in a meaningless loss.

Agreed, but all that does is tell me Fox doesn't give a **** about our future -- he's trying to win to save his ***.

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

Something that has been lost with all of the attention on QB: Bobby Massie is awful in pass pro.

I know the Bears are trying to be a run-first team, and he's better in the run block, but with a QB who has zero mobility, Massie cannot handle the speed rush at all.

Good news is we can cut him for $500,000 next off-season.

49 minutes ago, G08 said:

Good news is we can cut him for $500,000 next off-season.

Having the bulk of his contract, Houston, possibly McPhee (if he gets another season of just a few games in), Dpms (if he does not improve rather dramatically) and thankfully Glennon's removed may allow us to charge on for a serious playmaker that hits free agency. We have a lot of decent pieces, but we need impact players SO badly it is ridiculous. Without any rollover or re-signings that has us at around $50 mil, minus my expectation of Meredith and Wright being re-signed and maybe Fuller. Hopefully Amukamara shows something as well.

A lot of moving parts, first priority is dumping Fox though.

On 9/19/2017 at 3:38 PM, WindyCity said:

Were you guys seriously expecting to be better than 0-2 at this point considering the schedule with a rebuilding team?  I guess expectations were high around here after 3-13 last year huh?

Yes they looked bad last week against the Bucs but in week 1 against the Falcons they almost won when nobody was expecting them to even be close.

The only thing that we can all be upset about is that Glennon looks to be a pretty bad signing.  I'd much rather them be starting Sanchez over him if they are adamant that Trubisky isn't ready to take over just yet.  Thankfully this is Glennon's one and only year with the Bears.  Trubisky will be given his shot sooner or later this season.

50 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Were you guys seriously expecting to be better than 0-2 at this point considering the schedule with a rebuilding team?  I guess expectations were high around here after 3-13 last year huh?

Yes they looked bad last week against the Bucs but in week 1 against the Falcons they almost won when nobody was expecting them to even be close.

The only thing that we can all be upset about is that Glennon looks to be a pretty bad signing.  I'd much rather them be starting Sanchez over him if they are adamant that Trubisky isn't ready to take over just yet.  Thankfully this is Glennon's one and only year with the Bears.  Trubisky will be given his shot sooner or later this season.

I personally wasn't expecting them to win, but I didn't expect them to look as completely inept as they did this past week.

5 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I personally wasn't expecting them to win, but I didn't expect them to look as completely inept as they did this past week.

Exactly. HUGE difference between being 0-2 and competitive and 0-2 and getting your arses kicked by the Buccaneers.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Exactly. HUGE difference between being 0-2 and competitive and 0-2 and getting your arses kicked by the Buccaneers.

There are a number of factors at play here.  #1 Bucs are a pretty good team.  They also had a bye in week 1 so they were more fresh heading into this one than Bears were.

Seeing how the Bears turned it over 4 times and lost only 29-7 tells me that this game would have been a lot closer had they protected the ball better and not made stupid mistakes like on the Cohen fumble.

There is no getting around the fact that Glennon was bad and needs to go through his reads better and get rid of the football quicker.  If he plays like he did in week 1  then I think Bears can be respectable albeit not great until they deem Trubisky ready to take over.  One thing is for sure, they need some healthy bodies back at OL and WR  or it doesn't matter who's playing QB.

Archived