KC Chris Jones trade value?

valkrei

1 minute ago, DirtyDez said:

Patrick Peterson/#40

Wouldn't make sense. If KC unloads Jones, it will be for cap reasons. Paying out $13M to an older player at a less valuable position (in my opinion, anyway) makes little sense financially. I don't think a player will be considered in terms of received compensation on KC's end unless said player is very cheap. I think they'd look at draft picks alone.

8 hours ago, valkrei said:

Curious if yall were GMs what would you trade for him?

I wouldnt trade for him but I would think the cost would be a 1st and a 3rd. That wouldnt be something I would like to give up for Jones even though he is a very good player.

He’s a great player but will be available as a FA either this year or next. Chiefs have to pay Mahomes and don’t have the cap room to give this dude the deal he will command. I mean, he’s worth a first round pick but given that KC can’t hold onto him much longer I’d never offer that. 

• Like 3

Jones also has to sign the tag to be traded.  You can bet he’s not signing until he has to.  So his agent will hold up trade talks unless a team is willing to extend him.  

It’s nothing against Jones he’s a terrific player.   But when you add in the fact he can hold up any trade talk unless a team is willing to extend him and the knowledge that KC cap management is a major motivator - any trade is going to return a lot less to KC than say a year ago.  

On the other hand it’s not going to go for anything less than a Day 2 pick since Jones leaving in FA would likely net KC an end of 3rd Comp pick (since cap constraints likely prevent KC from spending big) albeit a year later.   

If I were to guess it might be a swap of 1sts from a team in the 20’s or a Day 2 pick outright.  

I’d give up 30 and a future 2nd with a long term extension already agreed upon before the trade taking place. Not having to compete with other teams on the open market for his prime years make giving up some premium assets justifiable. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Wouldn't make sense. If KC unloads Jones, it will be for cap reasons. Paying out $13M to an older player at a less valuable position (in my opinion, anyway) makes little sense financially. I don't think a player will be considered in terms of received compensation on KC's end unless said player is very cheap. I think they'd look at draft picks alone.

I would agree in that I would rather have AZ's 1st pick instead of Peterson.  So if AZ I would ask for their 1st and swap our 2nds or 1st and 3rd round pick this year.

2 hours ago, valkrei said:

I would agree in that I would rather have AZ's 1st pick instead of Peterson.  So if AZ I would ask for their 1st and swap our 2nds or 1st and 3rd round pick this year.

A bit of over zealous there, especially given the salary cap implications with  the upcoming Mahomes contract. I'd say best your gonna get is a high 2nd or lower 2nd plus. 

• Like 1