Which MLB team truly faces a "World Series championship or bust" period for the next 1-5 years?

Championshiporbust

I am a New York Yankeees fan. As anyone knows, in New York, and Yankee fans around the world know, that every year, even in rebuilding or retooling mode, it is World Series or Bust.  Championship or bust. That is one thing that I liked about the late Yankees principal owner, George M. Steinbrenner. He had a credo: The Steinbrenner doctrine: He laid out a doctrine, a credo, a mandate: Anything less than a World Series championship, the season would be a failure. Making it to the World Series and losing the World Series is a failure. Wild card, division championships, and league pennants don't matter unless you win the World Series.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/archive/index.php/t-103907.html

That is a good motivation to win a World Series championship.

Which teams do you think faces a World Series or bust/Steinbrenner-type doctrine? To win a World Series championship within 1 to 5 years?

The Indians are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of this (Yes, I may have some Cleveland tinted glasses on this one, but I don't think I'm wrong either).

*Last year they lost the World Series in 7 games

*This year they've had an historic run

*They have some guys locked up for about 3-6 more years (Kluber, Ramirez, Lindor, etc.) that could be huge free agents (Lindor, Brantley, although thankfully they have Ramirez at least another 4-5 years) or past their prime after that (Kluber, Edwin, Kipnis as we're potentially already seeing).

Astros.  I can argue its more pressure for the Astros to win one more than the Indians.

*Luhnow claimed they weren't ready last season to go all in (hence why he didn't make a significant trade at the deadline)

*Luhnow got pressured into trading for Verlander by the fans

*No team in Houston is close to winning a title in their respective sport. Cavs already won the title 2 seasons ago.

*They will have their core guys for the next 2-4 seasons during that timespan you mentioned.

What about the Texas Rangers? They failed to win:

* 2010 World Series (Giants had better pitching)

*2011 World Series (Choked against the Cardinals)

*2012 (Lost AL West to As, lost AL Wild Card against Orioles)

*2013 ( Choked at the end of season, especially in the AL Tiebreaker against Rays)

*2014 (Missed playoffs)

*2015( Lost ALDS to Blue Jays)

*2016 (Lost ALDS to Blue Jays)

Adrian Beltre and Cole Hamels aren't getting any younger, they should win a championship right away. Maybe fire Jeff Banister and hire Michael Young as manager.

1 hour ago, Championshiporbust said:

What about the Texas Rangers? They failed to win:

* 2010 World Series (Giants had better pitching)

*2011 World Series (Choked against the Cardinals)

*2012 (Lost AL West to As, lost AL Wild Card against Orioles)

*2013 ( Choked at the end of season, especially in the AL Tiebreaker against Rays)

*2014 (Missed playoffs)

*2015( Lost ALDS to Blue Jays)

*2016 (Lost ALDS to Blue Jays)

Adrian Beltre and Cole Hamels aren't getting any younger, they should win a championship right away. Maybe fire Jeff Banister and hire Michael Young as manager.

8 years ago I would have agreed. They gonna be bad for a while now.

Interesting question.  Right off the bat you can eliminate the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers.  Those guys have so much money / such valuable brands that they can easily rebuild or retool over a couple of years, so there really is no 'window' for those guys.  Obviously for the Yankees and Dodgers in particular, no World Series in the next five years would be seen as a failure and cost a lot of people their jobs, but it wouldn't set the franchise back very long.

For everyone else, I think the better question is who has a 1-3 year window?  5 years is a long time and even a team with a bunch of rookies theoretically has a 5-6 year championship window.  

Imo its the Nationals.  Harper is a free agent after next season and not going to re-sign.  So is Daniel Murphy.  If they don't win in the next two years, I think the current window is closed.  They'll be heading into 2019 with an aging core.  Scherzer, Gio, and Zimmerman will all be 34, Strasburg will be 31, and Rendon will be 29.  It reminds me a lot of where Seattle was in the late-90s.  The Nationals drafted the two best prospects of the decade, they both developed into stars, and were able to surround them with a ton of talent but have not been able to get over the hump and risk the entire Harper/Strasburg era going down as a huge failure. 

What about the St. Louis Cardinals?

After Tony La Russa left, they hired former Cardinals catcher Mike Matheny as their manager, he took them to the 2012 NLCS, where they choked after a 3 to 1 lead. They won the 2013 National League pennant, but lost to the Red Sox in World Series. The next year, in 2014, the Cardinals went all the way to the 2014 NLCS where they lost to the Giants again. In 2015, they won 100 games, but lost to the Chicago Cubs and that is how the Cardinals era somewhat faded in the 2010s.

I would like to see Yadier Molina win one more World Championship ring. It's possible. 

The Red Sox fit here. They need to win the World Series by 2019 or this core begins to dissolve.

Kimbrel, Pomeranz: signed through next year

Sale, Bogaerts, Porcello: signed through 2019

Betts: signed through 2020

Betts (rejected contract offer earlier this year) and Bogaerts (Boras) are going to free agency. The others may not hit free agency, but still.

I would add the Mariners, Orioles, Yankees, Dodgers, Pirates, Phillies (yes the Phillies) 

Dodgers=Magic Johnson is getting impatient.

Yankees=Although Hal and Hank Steinbrenner may not have their father George's fiery, no-nonsense, demanding personality, it's always W.S. or bust in New York

The Mets failed in 2015-16. They could have won it in 2016, but injuries made them lose the NL East to the Nationals. 

4 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

I would add the Mariners, Orioles, Yankees, Dodgers, Pirates, Phillies (yes the Phillies) 

I don't think many Mariners fans believe our team is good enough to win a championship anytime soon. Plus with some big contracts and a poor farm system, the odds we get to that level are pretty low.

A playoff appearance or two would likely satisfy most of our fan base. 

5 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

The phillies have a lot of money, a solid farm system, and some good looking controllable players at the major league level. What makes their window closing? If anything it's just about to open.

Archived