Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

People keep exaggerating the current death rate in the US.  37 of the 50 deaths are from Washington state, 22 or 23 of which were from the same nursing home.  

In no way am I downplaying this or saying people shouldnt be concerned or prepared, nor am I saying it wont get worse, but I wish some people would stop using statistics without context.  Thats what NFL Gen is for.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

People keep exaggerating the current death rate in the US.  37 of the 50 deaths are from Washington state, 22 or 23 of which were from the same nursing home.  

In no way am I downplaying this or saying people shouldnt be concerned or prepared, nor am I saying it wont get worse, but I wish some people would stop using statistics without context.  Thats what NFL Gen is for.  

What stats do you mean?

If anything these stats show just how concerning this should be to the elderly population, especially those in poor health.

There’s a reason most SNF’s have stopped visitation. How many more nursing homes may have similar numbers over the next few weeks?

I get your point, but there’s literally no way to downplay the importance of staying the hell away from people, especially old and sick ones.

You have earned a like for pooping on Gen, I’m a simple man in that regard.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What stats do you mean?

If anything these stats show just how concerning this should be to the elderly population, especially those in poor health.

There’s a reason most SNF’s have stopped visitation. How many more nursing homes may have similar numbers over the next few weeks?

I get your point, but there’s literally no way to downplay the importance of staying the hell away from people, especially old and sick ones.

Im referring to the current OVERALL mortality rate in the US being spiked by one state, and especially one nursing home....and IIRC, those were some of the first cases.

I 100% agree the elderly need to stay isolated and everyone needs to take it seriously.  Just saying we need to look at things in depth and not create MORE panic with somewhat misleading stats.  

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Im referring to the current OVERALL mortality rate in the US being spiked by one state, and especially one nursing home....and IIRC, those were some of the first cases.

I 100% agree the elderly need to stay isolated and everyone needs to take it seriously.  Just saying we need to look at things in depth and not create MORE panic with somewhat misleading stats.  

Like I said earlier though, most people aren’t afraid of dying from the virus, they’re afraid of the societal consequences that occur so old people don’t die of the virus as the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What stats do you mean?

Tbf its not uncommon for nursing homes to have outbreaks of flu, viral pneumonia, norovirus or whatever that lead to a large number of hospitalizations and deaths.  Clearly this is more severe but any serious upper respiratory infection outbreak in a nursing home is going to be bad news.

If anything good comes of this maybe our generation will be more conscientious going forward about not carelessly spreading illness especially to people who are particularly vulnerable.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like I said earlier though, most people aren’t afraid of dying from the virus, they’re afraid of the societal consequences that occur so old people don’t die of the virus as the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed.

Yep.  For most of us outside vike_daddy our chances of dying are pretty low but the social and economic consequences for the time being + uncertainty about how long that will last, really suck

27 minutes ago, mission27 said:

If anything good comes of this maybe our generation will be more conscientious going forward about not carelessly spreading illness especially to people who are particularly vulnerable.

I'm pretty angry with people I work with who are acting like this isn't something to take seriously at all. Not being subtle about it either. 

There are still way too many of them. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dome said:

I'm pretty angry with people I work with who are acting like this isn't something to take seriously at all. Not being subtle about it either. 

Yeah seriously and it’s not hard.  Nobody is saying socially isolate forever, just take a break for a few weeks to get this back under control and then going forward be careful when you are sick not to spread illness.  It’s not that much to ask.

• Like 3

Just now, mission27 said:

Yeah seriously and it’s not hard.  Nobody is saying socially isolate forever, just take a break for a few weeks to get this back under control and then going forward be careful when you are sick not to spread illness.  It’s not that much to ask.

I like the idea of taking a few months off and isolate, financially that's not an issue for me and i'm fortunate there...

but I work in a grocery story and the people who would have to cover my shifts are older, both over 50 and smokers. i don't want to make them work for me when I dip out cause I can cause I've got no kids. 

but I also don't want to catch/spread this to my mom who has asthma, my grandma who is in the last few years of her life or my grandpa who is one of the healthiest 80-year olds I know, dude goes kayak fishing still... i won't be seeing them hardly at all until this is over, considering i "contact" hundreds of people each day when I work, just can't risk it.

it's a lot to consider, it would be easy to peace out and keep tabs on the situation until mid summer, but moral i don't think I can or should.

obviously things could change, quickly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

I like the idea of taking a few months off and isolate, financially that's not an issue for me and i'm fortunate there...

but I work in a grocery story and the people who would have to cover my shifts are older, both over 50 and smokers. i don't want to make them work for me when I dip out cause I can cause I've got no kids. 

but I also don't want to catch/spread this to my mom who has asthma, my grandma who is in the last few years of her life or my grandpa who is one of the healthiest 80-year olds I know, dude goes kayak fishing still... i won't be seeing them hardly at all until this is over, considering i "contact" hundreds of people each day when I work, just can't risk it.

it's a lot to consider, it would be easy to peace out and keep tabs on the situation until mid summer, but moral i don't think I can or should.

obviously things could change, quickly. 

Yeah not everyone has the choice... totally understand... there's definitely still things you can do to reduce the spread, which hopefully people are doing

38 minutes ago, Dome said:

That’s unfortunate.

Without extreme social distancing etc. the U.S. is on pace to have over 3 million cases in 30 days.

I just went to Walmart to get some more canned goods since my time off got extended. The majority of shelves were half to completely empty. I'm sure they'll restock some overnight, but it's ridiculous.

There was literally zero hamburger, steaks, or chicken except some sliced sandwich meat.

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I just went to Walmart to get some more canned goods since my time off got extended. The majority of shelves were half to completely empty. I'm sure they'll restock some overnight, but it's ridiculous.

There was literally zero hamburger, steaks, or chicken except some sliced sandwich meat.