Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

15 minutes ago, August4th said:

people are saying this drug was helpful in south Korea

Running tests with it at one of the local hospitals here...a bunch of the infectious disease doctors are skeptical but hoping they are wrong.  Would be great to at least get something for the people with the virus. 

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I’m assuming lower traffic stores are the better option, there’s probably several hundred if not a thousand fewer customers in and out every day.

Someone tell me my assumption is correct. Waiting for some legitimate smart doctor on twitter to point out I’m an idiot tho 

You’re cutting down on the proximity you are to other people, thus decreasing your likelihood of infection. You’re correct. 

• Like 1

The Richard Burr thing is emblematic of how this things got as bad as it is now.

At the start of the pandemic:

Burr to the American people :

"Don't worry everyone, we can totally handle this. Carry on"

Burr to a closed door, private sector luncheon at the same time:

"Its going to be bad, cut your travel, schools probably are gonna close, military could be brought in to help"

This isn't even political; the US Government chose the Economy over the Health and Safety of the American people. Wasn't the first time, wont be the last.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, animaltested said:

The Richard Burr thing is emblematic of how this things got as bad as it is now.

At the start of the pandemic:

Burr to the American people :

"Don't worry everyone, we can totally handle this. Carry on"

Burr to a closed door, private sector luncheon at the same time:

"Its going to be bad, cut your travel, schools probably are gonna close, military could be brought in to help"

This isn't even political; the US Government chose the Economy over the Health and Safety of the American people. Wasn't the first time, wont be the last.

This is the part that hurts the most. I'm right in saying that even by voting we basically have no say. We're all just here for the ride. We pay taxes and work paycheck to paycheck while the rich get all the help they need while we all suffer. Talk about giving me 1000 dollars? Wtf is that gonna do for me? 1000 dollars is nothing. This whole thing is so screwed up, we should have shut the borders down once they knew this thing was out of control. 

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Teaching is one example of a profession where the Dunning-Kruger effect runs rampant.

Everyone thinks they know better than their kid’s teacher... until they actually have to teach something.

Maybe this little break from school is the slice of humble pie a lot of parents need.

That's because the common misconception is, especially once kids get past a certain grade-level (which has been decreasing regularly for a while now), that we teacher teach "facts or skills."  Truth is, the facts and lessons come from the teaching materials (i.e. books, etc.), my job is more to teach a passion for learning and seeking out said facts and skills from the teaching materials that are made available to students.  Part of the reason, at least with respect to my department, that we stick with a lot of the classics when it comes to literature is because it has the greater universal/holistic appeal across the varieties of students (male/female, different cultures, etc.), but also because a lot of times their also books that their parents/grandparents/extended family also read (when they were in school or otherwise), so there's more opportunity to discussion about themes, motifs, lessons learned, comparisons that can be made, etc.  Being able to direct recall the plot points of Great Gatsby from memory isn't going to do anything for a kid.  Them learning how to recognize and interpret themes from the writing and apply it helps foster this wonderful thing that goes a long, long way in many facets of life called critical thinking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

Running tests with it at one of the local hospitals here...a bunch of the infectious disease doctors are skeptical but hoping they are wrong.  Would be great to at least get something for the people with the virus. 

To be clear, it's chloroquine diphosphate salt + zinc (zinc itself has it's own side-effects, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes, we probably have to TRIAGE this at this point), which is what was given (to my knowledge at least as recently as soldiers deployed in Iraq) as an anti-malarial ahead of deployment.

For those who aren't aware, Ben served in the Army during Operation Iraqi Freedom before he got into sports journalism.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, August4th said:

ETcCdR0UwAA5Ovh?format=jpg&name=large

Going for a hike or doing any kind of sports is not the best idea. If you get injured in the mountain, who's going to rescue you? Are they taking you to a hospital to fix a fractured bone or an ankle injury?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The LBC said:

That's because the common misconception is, especially once kids get past a certain grade-level (which has been decreasing regularly for a while now), that we teacher teach "facts or skills."  Truth is, the facts and lessons come from the teaching materials (i.e. books, etc.), my job is more to teach a passion for learning and seeking out said facts and skills from the teaching materials that are made available to students.  Part of the reason, at least with respect to my department, that we stick with a lot of the classics when it comes to literature is because it has the greater universal/holistic appeal across the varieties of students (male/female, different cultures, etc.), but also because a lot of times their also books that their parents/grandparents/extended family also read (when they were in school or otherwise), so there's more opportunity to discussion about themes, motifs, lessons learned, comparisons that can be made, etc.  Being able to direct recall the plot points of Great Gatsby from memory isn't going to do anything for a kid.  Them learning how to recognize and interpret themes from the writing and apply it helps foster this wonderful thing that goes a long, long way in many facets of life called critical thinking.

I appreciate your passion.

Testing for the novel coronavirus will be reduced in Johnson County, which has reached the point where the virus is spreading by community transmission, state officials said Wednesday.

So because it's being spread more, they're testing less. Makes sense.

edit: Johnson County is basically in Kansas City. This is the Kansas side, hopefully Missouri doesn't follow suit.

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1

The old trend was to deny the virus was a problem

• Obama's H1N1 was worse (textbook political propaganda)
  • The Flu was worse
  • China Wuhan virus don't scare me!
  • Its a  liberal media conspiracy!

It's down to about 1% of the population still believing that (The pastor in Baton Rouge for example)

The new trend is 1930s European style Darwinism of "Just let the old and weak and sick die because STONKS!"

• Most of these dangerous people are spouting that only 1% or maybe 3.4% of the population will die
    • In America, those figures would be about 3.3 to 11 million people.
  • As disgusting as this proposal is, its also using moronic logic
    • Corona Virus would kill 2% -6.8% of the infected people but doctors and nurses save half of them with ICU treatment.

If there are 22 million people who need to use the 30,000 ventilators in the USA, then we now have a death rate that is almost equal to the serious case rate.

A person advocating the death of up to 22 million Americans is a monster.

A person advocating the same but thinking it would only be up to 11 million is a monster and a moron.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/ron-johnson-coronavirus/index.html

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 4