Redskins place franchise tag on OG Brandon Scherff

.Buzz

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There goes a substantial amount of cap space, provided they can't get a long-term deal done to alleviate some of the hit now.  

I sure hope they can get a long term deal done. I cringe paying $16 million for a guard!

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

It's the right move. He's our best offensive lineman but his last two years have been below average for his standards. We simply can't have another hole on our offensive line

I don't think Wes Martin is a huge drop off - so I don't think loosing Scherff equals a hole - but that’s for the front office and coaches to decide.

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, taylor made said:

It's the right move. He's our best offensive lineman but his last two years have been below average for his standards. We simply can't have another hole on our offensive line

On the other hand, one could argue that Scherff is at his prime and that those last two years is indicative of the player he is likely going to be.  

Either way, $16 million is a lot for a guard, and it will affect the Redskins ability to spend in other areas this off-season, but at the same time I get it, because it would be tough to replace a LT, LG and RG all in one off-season.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There goes a substantial amount of cap space, provided they can't get a long-term deal done to alleviate some of the hit now.  

Yeah, but at least we have a lot of cap space this year, and I also don't think we need to blow it all now either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, but at least we have a lot of cap space this year, and I also don't think we need to blow it all now either.

We should have a lot next year too. I hope we can get a long term deal (LTD) done. I’d like Scherff’s cap number to be lower this year bc of the LTD and then next year it can be $14 million when Alex comes off the books.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

We should have a lot next year too. I hope we can get a long term deal (LTD) done. I’d like Scherff’s cap number to be lower this year bc of the LTD and then next year it can be $14 million when Alex comes off the books.

I guess let me more clear, I'd RATHER get a deal done, but just having him play under the FT isn't the worst thing. Still, it would mean less of a chance we do extend him in the future.

• Like 1

I’ve always thought franchising Scherff was the right move, but in part that’s because I’d like them to explore trading him. 

Everyone is saying that $16M is a lot for a guard, but isn’t the same true of the $14M AAV he’ll get in a new contract? If he was a totally reliable/dependable player, that would be one thing — but he’s not, really. He’s had injury issues each of the last three years, and he really wasn’t that good last season when he was on the field. 

If some win-now team like the Saints or the Ravens or the Vikings offered their late 1st for him, don’t we have to at least consider it? We could potentially land a future starting LT in Josh Jones there or perhaps a franchise MLB in Kenneth Murray or Patrick Queen — or we could just get a potential star complement to McLaurin in a guy like Jefferson or Shenault or Higgins. We could just go with Wes Martin and save a ton of money that we could use elsewhere (say, TE or CB or even Amari Cooper). 

Not saying that I absolutely would trade him. But I would test the market to see what’s out there. It would have been easier to justify this if we had Trent in the fold, but I’d still take a look. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’ve always thought franchising Scherff was the right move, but in part that’s because I’d like them to explore trading him. 

Everyone is saying that $16M is a lot for a guard, but isn’t the same true of the $14M AAV he’ll get in a new contract? If he was a totally reliable/dependable player, that would be one thing — but he’s not, really. He’s had injury issues each of the last three years, and he really wasn’t that good last season when he was on the field. 

If some win-now team like the Saints or the Ravens or the Vikings offered their late 1st for him, don’t we have to at least consider it? We could potentially land a future starting LT in Josh Jones there or perhaps a franchise MLB in Kenneth Murray or Patrick Queen — or we could just get a potential star complement to McLaurin in a guy like Jefferson or Shenault or Higgins. We could just go with Wes Martin and save a ton of money that we could use elsewhere (say, TE or CB or even Amari Cooper). 

Not saying that I absolutely would trade him. But I would test the market to see what’s out there. It would have been easier to justify this if we had Trent in the fold, but I’d still take a look. 

The avg per year over 5 or 6 years would be $14 million but the cap hit for Scherff next year on a LTD could be $10 million or less if we lock him up on a LTD. I think we should keep him long term. Now that I know he had multiple injuries last year that he played though and that’s why his play dropped off, I don’t feel as concerned as I once did about a LTD.

I think most fans want to keep him over long term over any other OL we currently have so, we might as well lock him up for 5 or 6 years, lower that cap # and spread it out.

I definitely agree that if we get offered a 1st for Scherff we should take it though. I fee no different about that trade then I do about trading Trent. If it’s a late 1st or early 2nd for Scherff, I’m trading him. Then, Flowers can start at LG, Martin can start at RG and we can draft a OG in the mid rounds to develop and back them up.

For TWill, I’d trade him for a late 1st, 2nd or an early 3rd or some cocktail of a 3rd & a later pick or a player and a later pick. Just depends, but I’m not giving Trent away when I know we have a 3rd round comp coming in 2022 if we just hold onto him.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I'd pack his bags for him if that happens. I like him. But not enough to pass that up.

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I would immediately deal him away for a first. 

• Like 2