Redskins place franchise tag on OG Brandon Scherff

.Buzz

23 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’ve always thought franchising Scherff was the right move, but in part that’s because I’d like them to explore trading him. 

Everyone is saying that $16M is a lot for a guard, but isn’t the same true of the $14M AAV he’ll get in a new contract? If he was a totally reliable/dependable player, that would be one thing — but he’s not, really. He’s had injury issues each of the last three years, and he really wasn’t that good last season when he was on the field. 

If some win-now team like the Saints or the Ravens or the Vikings offered their late 1st for him, don’t we have to at least consider it? We could potentially land a future starting LT in Josh Jones there or perhaps a franchise MLB in Kenneth Murray or Patrick Queen — or we could just get a potential star complement to McLaurin in a guy like Jefferson or Shenault or Higgins. We could just go with Wes Martin and save a ton of money that we could use elsewhere (say, TE or CB or even Amari Cooper). 

Not saying that I absolutely would trade him. But I would test the market to see what’s out there. It would have been easier to justify this if we had Trent in the fold, but I’d still take a look. 

I like this kind of thinking- be proactive, protect your assets, all the while look to sell them high rather than waiting too long and letting them crash and burn. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think this is wise if Scherff is demanding top 5 IOL money. I would love to have the guy locked up long-term, but if he’s looking to get paid that much, he needs to prove he can stay healthy.

I know I'll get crap for this, but I’d let him walk next offseason regardless. We are switching to the ZBS - it's arguable if he & Moses fit the scheme - Dan Snyder wasn't willing to pay a pro bowl QB $84 million in guaranteed $, but if we pay Scherff what he wants his contract is going to be worth $90 million. I love Scherff, but that $ can be spread around better. It can be used to retain what hopefully ends up being a top 5 DL in the league over the next 5 years. It can be used to keep Terry, to keep Dwayne if he ends up being in at least the good QB range and it can be used to upgrade the back 7 of our defense as well as sign a cheaper guard to replace Scherff.

I’d take the 2022 3rd round comp pick for him and move on after this season, I don't think he's worth a $90 million contract avg $18 mil per year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I know I'll get crap for this, but I’d let him walk next offseason regardless. We are switching to the ZBS - it's arguable if he & Moses fit the scheme - Dan Snyder wasn't willing to pay a pro bowl QB $84 million in guaranteed $, but if we pay Scherff what he wants his contract is going to be worth $90 million. I love Scherff, but that $ can be spread around better. It can be used to retain what hopefully ends up being a top 5 DL in the league over the next 5 years. It can be used to keep Terry, to keep Dwayne if he ends up being in at least the good QB range and it can be used to upgrade the back 7 of our defense as well as sign a cheaper guard to replace Scherff.

I’d take the 2022 3rd round comp pick for him and move on after this season, I don't think he's worth a $90 million contract avg $18 mil per year.

Kinda in the same boat with you here. I love the guy when he's healthy and at the top of his game. But not at that price.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not gonna give you crap for it, but surely we should be looking to trade him if we don’t intend to keep him long-term, don’t you think?

A team like Baltimore would have to be interested. Could you get their (surely late) 1st? Perhaps not, but maybe their 2nd plus other assets. There would be other contending teams willing to pay a steep price too, I’d assume. I have to think we could do better than a 2022 3rd comp — which certainly wouldn’t even be guaranteed, given the way that they showed no interest in the comp pick game this past offseason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Not gonna give you crap for it, but surely we should be looking to trade him if we don’t intend to keep him long-term, don’t you think?

A team like Baltimore would have to be interested. Could you get their (surely late) 1st? Perhaps not, but maybe their 2nd plus other assets. There would be other contending teams willing to pay a steep price too, I’d assume. I have to think we could do better than a 2022 3rd comp — which certainly wouldn’t even be guaranteed, given the way that they showed no interest in the comp pick game this past offseason.

Of course I’d try to trade him, and that would be now, but they’re not going to do that if they had thought of it, they would already be shopping him and they aren’t. Next offseason if they franchise him again, his cap # will rise a few million and do we want him at $17-18 million on our payroll for a guard? And who’s going to trade for a guard on a one year deal making $17-18 million next year?

Especially considering COVID is wrecking our economy, I don’t see it.

I'm in the trade him mind frame right now.Rivera has a history of being willing to pay oline so fact deal hasn't got done makes me thinks he just wants to much money and going to walk next year.While not as good as Scherff for sure I'd think we'd be okay with one of the two Wes guards or Ismeal starting.Letting him walk for comp pick seem to Risky to me as we have good cap space and liable to spend it next offseason and cancel out the comp pick.Also this is a team building year where everything has to go right for us to make a run not the exact year I'd hold on to player knowing he all but leaving.

13 hours ago, e16bball said:

Baltimore is way too prepared for that.  They spent a fourth round pick on guard Ben Powers last year and despite knowing Yanda's departure well in advance, avoided free agency and are set to give him a go.  

Also, if the college football season is moved to the spring, and the NFL doesn't move the draft........we could have a historic draft class as far as talent goes.  I can see some teams very hesitant to give up draft picks right now until more information is known about the CFB season. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Baltimore is way too prepared for that.  They spent a fourth round pick on guard Ben Powers last year and despite knowing Yanda's departure well in advance, avoided free agency and are set to give him a go.  

Also, if the college football season is moved to the spring, and the NFL doesn't move the draft........we could have a historic draft class as far as talent goes.  I can see some teams very hesitant to give up draft picks right now until more information is known about the CFB season. 

Yeah, and I forgot they signed DJ Fluker, which gives them a veteran presence among all the young players they have at the position — a group that includes Powers and last year’s LG starter Bradley Bozeman (who, incidentally, lives in a trailer park with a client of mine), as well as Tyre Phillips and Ben Bredeson whom they drafted this year. 

You’re right, they probably don’t need to do anything rash. New Orleans (last offseason) would have been the better bet, before they gave that ridiculous deal to Andrus Peat and drafted Cesar Ruiz. Maybe Seattle? They love that power run game, he might fit well with their approach. 

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, and I forgot they signed DJ Fluker, which gives them a veteran presence among all the young players they have at the position — a group that includes Powers and last year’s LG starter Bradley Bozeman (who, incidentally, lives in a trailer park with a client of mine), as well as Tyre Phillips and Ben Bredeson whom they drafted this year. 

You’re right, they probably don’t need to do anything rash. New Orleans (last offseason) would have been the better bet, before they gave that ridiculous deal to Andrus Peat and drafted Cesar Ruiz. Maybe Seattle? They love that power run game, he might fit well with their approach. 

Can those teams afford to take on $15 million for a guard? And if not, who could we trade Scherff for bc if we were to have done that - and we won’t now IMO - we’d have to take some salary back so they’d have cap space & then get a pick back too,  

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Can those teams afford to take on $15 million for a guard? And if not, who could we trade Scherff for bc if we were to have done that - and we won’t now IMO - we’d have to take some salary back so they’d have cap space & then get a pick back as well.

1. Saints don’t have the cap space and I see no one they’d trade for Scherff 

2. Seahawks we could trade for their TE Hollister & get a 2nd rnd pick.

3. Bears, they have the cap space, I’d take picks a 2nd & a mid round pick.

4. The Vikings, I’d take their OT Brian O’Neill who the drafted in 2018 in round 2 and a pick. They took Ezra Cleveland who could replace him this year.

5. Bucs we could trade for Howard and a pick.

6. Browns we could trade for Njoku and a pick.

7. Rams I’d take back a pick and Higbee or Everrett.

Edited by turtle28