NFL Wide Free Agency Thread

textaz03

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I think for most teams it’s kind of hard to find a guy to do that to and then callously walk away. RB is definitely a position where one big year can turn out to be fool’s gold, plus players will wear down/get hurt and lose effectiveness. And in at least one noteworthy case (Le’Veon Bell) they see the writing on the wall that they’re about to get 450+ touches in their last season before free agency and refuse to play.

In other words, I think we quite don’t see teams doing this because most of them are actually cycling out backs so much faster than every four years that you don’t even notice. Those that don’t usually end up paying their guy and by and large regret it, but they’re the exception, not the rule. And unfortunately some will just never figure it out.

One could argue that by and large teams regret most big 2nd contracts. Even for QB. 

We ended up with dead cap on Romo and Dez. Neither of whom play RB. People are already regretting DLaws contract. It's very rare that a player at any position out-plays a big 2nd contract unless they take a team friendly deal like say Tyron Smith. And even he gets thrown under the bus by certain fans when we think we need some money.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

One could argue that by and large teams regret most big 2nd contracts. Even for QB. 

I mean yeah, virtually every big second contract is an overpay to some extent, and NFL careers are short across the board. You just have to balance those decisions with “how quickly and efficiently can I replace this player?” And without getting too deep into the value of the running game or RB position, it’s relatively safe to say that it has much less of a learning curve for first and second year players than just about any other position.

• Like 1