Why do people preorder games?

sunnygsm

I've never quite understood why people preorder games anymore. Waaaay back in the day when gaming was much less popular (PS1 era), people would preorder to ensure they managed to get a copy of certain games since stock was typically limited. Now games are available digitally and physically and stock is never an issue. Sure you get preorder bonuses, but they suck to be honest. Given how many games have issues at release these days, I just don't understand why consumers bother preordering anything. Do you preorder? If so why do you do it?

I've been preordering since before I was a teenager. Back then, just the excitement as a kid to get a new game, wanted to secure it beforehand. Plus, that's all I would spend birthday money on.

Nowadays, Madden is the only game I buy annually. I'm in it for the preorder bonuses, big MUT guy. 

I'll preorder, if the bonus is early access.  Like 2k the past few years.  Preorder allows me to play the game on Friday, through the weekend, vs getting the game Tuesday.  I'm 29, with a career and a family.  I have little, if any, time to play a game during the week, that wouldn't require me sacrificing sleep.  Getting the game on a Friday is basically the same for me getting the game a week early, because I wouldn't get to play a game that comes out on a Tuesday until that following weekend anyway.  I would also preorder when Amazon was doing the $20 off, and same day delivery, for hard copies.   My preorders are always done a day or two before the release would be, that way I can see if I feel there is any benefit for me personally.   I might buy 2 or 3 games a year, with one of the purchases being a preoder. 

If I know that I want the game I may preorder it.  The only game that I would have preordered is xcom 2, I was not following it before the release so I did not preorder anything.

There is also the pre order bonuses as previously stated.  I play pubg now, I like the hell out of it but I knew nothing about it until a friend told me to get it.  I generally do not play FPS games so it is not a game I would have preordered, but those that did preorder it got in game cosmetics that I believe are selling at 1k$+ on steam market.  So if the game is one that you know you will play it may be worth the preorder just for the bonuses.

You dont know the value of the preorder bonus before hand but if you are sure that it is a game that you will buy within the first 6 months of it being out (you will pay full price for it) I do not see why you would not preorder unless you are to tight on cash to do so.

I agree.   Ive only ever preordered one game, and I cant think of what it was.   Maybe Batman Arkham City....cant remember for sure, though.

Never understood it for the most part....but Ive never been remotely close to the hardcore gamer many others are.   I can understand why they would....especially given some of the bonuses that you get for preordering.

Archived