Why do people preorder games?

sunnygsm

47 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Only preorder Madden. And only because Amazon Prime knocks 20% off for preordering and I had another 10% off coupon.

Amazon Prime actually does that deal up to two weeks after release, iirc.

Some games do perks. Some retailers do discounts or money back. If you know you're going to buy the game regardless, and there's perks for preordering, why would you not? Best Buy has had a deal where they get you a $10 reward certificate when you preorder one of like a dozen games. There's a handful in there I knew I'd buy, so preordering saved me like $30.

I've never pre-orderd in my life. What happens if the game sucks? What happens if the game is delayed. Why would i pay for something up front which i don't know what i'll get in return. And usually any preorder bonus can be got later on in the games life span.

9 hours ago, iPwn said:

Amazon Prime actually does that deal up to two weeks after release, iirc.

True. For Madden, it's more that I just like having it in the mailbox on release day and there are the MUT preorder bonuses. In general, I'm not one to preorder games. Though if they're offering perks that someone is interested in, I get why they would.

8 minutes ago, gillam said:

I've never pre-orderd in my life. What happens if the game sucks? What happens if the game is delayed. Why would i pay for something up front which i don't know what i'll get in return. And usually any preorder bonus can be got later on in the games life span.

This is pretty much the case regardless. Basically with any form of media. Movies, books, video games, etc. You never know how much you'll like it until you have it. You can use reviews or recommendations to kind of mitigate that, but in the end you never know for sure (there have been well-reviewed games I despised, and poorly reviewed games that I fell in love with). Unless you borrow it from someone or something and play it extensively, but in that case you wouldn't have much need left to buy it at all.

The only game that I've pre-ordered the past few years is South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I only did this because the first one was amazing. If the second one sucks, I'll be ok with the money invested because of the years of entertainment Matt and Trey have given me. But I really don't think it'll suck with them pushing it back 2-3 times now and working hard on getting it right.

Gaming has become phony and too "Big Business" so I don't have an incentive to pre-order anything. It's really depressing for me because gaming used to be so fun and now its just... whack, haha. But the last game I pre-ordered was Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain because that is my favorite game series of all-time and I knew it was the last MGS game that Hideo Kojima would be a part of.

I stopped pre-ordering, however the e3 deal that they had this year in Canada had me pre-order a ton of games. New games here are $79.99 and all big games minus the sports ones were $49.99. I ordered Destiny 2, Assassins Creed, Cod WW2, Battlefront, Far Cry 5, the Spiderman Game, Red Dead 2, and Death Stranding. I think that's it. I cancelled Destiny and Assassins Creed already, and will probably cancel cod after playing the beta.  

On 9/20/2017 at 2:58 PM, titans0021 said:

Only preorder Madden. And only because Amazon Prime knocks 20% off for preordering and I had another 10% off coupon.

This for me, as well. I don't pre-order often but if I know I'm going to get a game regardless, especially a game that I'm largely buying for online play, pre-ordering typically allows me to do three things:

1. Buy the game during the time it has the largest online community possible, before it starts dwindling down.

2. Buy it at the cheapest price it is likely to be at without waiting 4-5 months for sporadic discounts.

3. Get whatever pre-order bonuses that may come with it, such as custom DLCs, character skins, etc. (Saving me the cost of having to purchase these later, if I so decided I ever wanted to pay for DLC)

Its against my better judgement, but I preordered Battlefront 2.  This is the first game I've preordered in a few years at least.  I know EA is going to do some ****ty pay to win type model, but I just can't help myself for the hype on it, and I'm really looking forward to the Beta and in game content that is included with the preorder.  I don't plan on preordering any other games in the near future.

20 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Did you play the first one?

I did, and still do.  It was a blunder at first, and its still not an amazing game, but I still like it (much of it is star wars fandom), and with EA access including all DLC, much of that fixes how poor the game was.  On top of that, my biggest problems with the first appear to be addressed with BF2.  

I used to preorder games I knew I was going to love, even if the bonus was something simple. Then I stopped, for your very same reasoning. I figured I'd be able to get a PS4 Anniversary edition sometime after PS Experience back several years ago so I didn't bother trying to preorder one during the conference. It never came out.  I also tried to go get the PS Aim controller Farpoint bundle without preordering, and I couldn't get it for 4 months as it was out of stock everywhere. Then I tried to get a switch a few months after it released and couldn't find it for months. Then the snes hoopla. .....needless to say I preorder everything again now just to be safe. 

Archived