Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Titans fan 617

Titans Resign Ryan Tannehill

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

My concern is not only does he come back down to Earth, but the offense as a whole doesn't mature.  It takes the "we were so go mindset, why change?" attitude. It needs to get better passing the ball with design and execution. 
If Tanny does get hurt, what is our plan? Do we have a back up option that can win us games? Or is it Tanny or bust. 

I think with this deal, it's Tanny or nothing. He is OUR "franchise QB."  Maybe not one for every team, but he is OURS.  
He just has to produce like it. Mature the offense, keep it growing.

Isn’t that usually what you say about most good teams though? If the QB gets hurt especially for an extended period, the team could be in for a rough season. Regardless though I’ll say it again, this is Henry’s team and the offense will run through him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Let's not kid ourselves, if he regresses significantly or gets hurt, this is a way worse deal than the Jags made with Bortles and Foles. 

We're married to him for 3 years minimum, at 90M+...any kind of regression will make this a questionable deal. With this contract, he's going to need to carry this team and prevent teams from stacking the box against Henry. 

Guaranteeing more than 2 years is risky, especially at 30M per, guaranteed.  If Brady gets 2 years with under 60 guaranteed, it'll make this contract look worse. 

And worst of all, its only 5M less in 2020 than the tag would have cost (less if some of that money is another type of guaranteed bonus this year). 

This. I liked the deal a lot more when I thought the year 3 option was after year 2 and not before. 

I almost view it as a guaranteed 3 year deal. Would ownership really be okay with a 1yr 61million deal if he doesn't perform well this year?

He will be 32 by the start of the season. Hopefully he can stay close to his production this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Let's not kid ourselves, if he regresses significantly or gets hurt, this is a way worse deal than the Jags made with Bortles and Foles. 

We're married to him for 3 years minimum, at 90M+...any kind of regression will make this a questionable deal. With this contract, he's going to need to carry this team and prevent teams from stacking the box against Henry. 

Guaranteeing more than 2 years is risky, especially at 30M per, guaranteed.  If Brady gets 2 years with under 60 guaranteed, it'll make this contract look worse. 

And worst of all, its only 5M less in 2020 than the tag would have cost (less if some of that money is another type of guaranteed bonus this year). 

But it's to my understanding that we have an "out" clause in this contract after the first 2 years.  Yeah, we're on the hook for $62M guaranteed for the first 2 years of the deal, but we can get out of it after that, if things go south.  Granted I'll have to dig a little deeper to confirm that little detail, but I think we can live with that set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dionysus said:

But it's to my understanding that we have an "out" clause in this contract after the first 2 years.  Yeah, we're on the hook for $62M guaranteed for the first 2 years of the deal, but we can get out of it after that, if things go south.  Granted I'll have to dig a little deeper to confirm that little detail, but I think we can live with that set up.

Technically we do... But the guarantee for year 3 is next March. These are always roster guarantees. (Unless that's not the case here).

Essentially, if staying on the roster past that March 2021 date guarantees the 2022 year fully (it's already guaranteed for injury only. 

Now that's how it's always been done... And unless JRob proposed and RTs camp accepted  to make the guarantee similar to the rookie option, that's going to be the case. I guess I just assumed it was the trigger that's usually used... It'd be nice if it wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta have a QB. If he would have left and the Brady option was just rumor the 2020 season would have been over in March. Glad the deal is done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad we brought back Ryan Tannehill. He did have a remarkable half a season with elite numbers in various areas. Being the 7th highest paid QB goes in line with those numbers.

While overall the numbers seem high for my liking right now, if he can play like a top 10 QB this deal will be a steal with how contracts are about to sky rocket.

Loved watching Tannehill come in, take charge and turn the offense around. Glad he is a Titan again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Titan89 said:

I am glad we brought back Ryan Tannehill. He did have a remarkable half a season with elite numbers in various areas. Being the 7th highest paid QB goes in line with those numbers.

While overall the numbers seem high for my liking right now, if he can play like a top 10 QB this deal will be a steal with how contracts are about to sky rocket.

Loved watching Tannehill come in, take charge and turn the offense around. Glad he is a Titan again.

In 2yrs this deal will be a bargain because of how the salary cap rises every year. I’m fine with it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I ponder the deal, the more I dislike it.

1 year, 61 mil, or 3 year 91 mil. If he's the same guy as last year... he's going to eat a lot of sacks and disappear in the playoffs. That's the kind of money for a guy who leads the offense... and overall I think we should have tagged him and paid Henry. Let Tannehill prove it again, or let him walk if he stinks / gets hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, we can now definitively say that all the insiders saying Brady to Tennessee was happening were completely making things up, right?

I don't love the numbers here, but it's acceptable.  At least it wasn't a Kirk Cousins style full guarantee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In time this deal will look better and better

Brees Brady Rivers Bridgewater will be getting paid in a few days

Eventually Dak

Then Rodgers and Mahomes will get extensions

So in time Tannehill will be moved down the ladder

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daniel said:

So, we can now definitively say that all the insiders saying Brady to Tennessee was happening were completely making things up, right?

I don't love the numbers here, but it's acceptable.  At least it wasn't a Kirk Cousins style full guarantee.

No, it's actually more.  3 years, 90+M.  Even if he goes Foles on us, no way they cut him after 1 year with the full 2021 salary guaranteed.  But keeping him guarantees the 2022 salary.  

The only way out of it is an Osweiler-type move... where we trade him to a team who's willing to eat the salaries, in exchange for high draft picks.  

It's all moot when we win the SB next year... but as someone's who been working on a lot of risk assessment lately, the contract just doesn't make sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

No, it's actually more.  3 years, 90+M.  Even if he goes Foles on us, no way they cut him after 1 year with the full 2021 salary guaranteed.  But keeping him guarantees the 2022 salary.  

The only way out of it is an Osweiler-type move... where we trade him to a team who's willing to eat the salaries, in exchange for high draft picks.  

It's all moot when we win the SB next year... but as someone's who been working on a lot of risk assessment lately, the contract just doesn't make sense.  

It makes sense because we’re not paying him top premium dollar, that’s a bargain. Yes I get what you’re saying 62 mill in 2-3 years is a big commitment, but we’re talking bout the QB position, in a league were every QB is overpaid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

No, it's actually more.  3 years, 90+M.  Even if he goes Foles on us, no way they cut him after 1 year with the full 2021 salary guaranteed.  But keeping him guarantees the 2022 salary.  

The only way out of it is an Osweiler-type move... where we trade him to a team who's willing to eat the salaries, in exchange for high draft picks.  

It's all moot when we win the SB next year... but as someone's who been working on a lot of risk assessment lately, the contract just doesn't make sense.  

I mean a Cousins type deal where it's fully guaranteed straight through.  I don't love the money, but next year is a wash, so that one doesn't worry me too much.  2021 and 2022 will not look so bad by the time we get there (increase in cap and more bloated QB salaries), so it's not terrible.  I'd say it's like a C+/B-.  There weren't better options and we can't fault the FO too much for not getting absolute maximum value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

It makes sense because we’re not paying him top premium dollar, that’s a bargain. Yes I get what you’re saying 62 mill in 2-3 years is a big commitment, but we’re talking bout the QB position, in a league were every QB is overpaid. 

If we could get out of it in 2 years, fine, even if it was 61M... that's 11M more than I was comfortable with, but doable... it's 2 years... but its not... It's 

- 1 year with 62M guaranteed

That's because his 2021 salary is already guaranteed

We can't cut him after a year, because then his dead cap hit would be 40M in 2021 (his fully guaranteed salary + the 15M remaining of SB proration...)... or they can split the SB, and carry dead cap hits of 30M in 2021 and 10M in 2022... these are dead hits... he's not on the roster

Now, if they don't cut him next March, his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed.... That means its either a 1 year 61M or 3 year 901M contract...   

If there was a 2 year 62M option, I'd be semi-ok with that... but there isn't... that's my rub

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean a Cousins type deal where it's fully guaranteed straight through.  I don't love the money, but next year is a wash, so that one doesn't worry me too much.  2021 and 2022 will not look so bad by the time we get there (increase in cap and more bloated QB salaries), so it's not terrible.  I'd say it's like a C+/B-.  There weren't better options and we can't fault the FO too much for not getting absolute maximum value.

Like I said above, it might as well be a 3 year 91M fully guaranteed contract... cuz I see a very little chance the 3rd year isn't picked up.

I know I'm usually the person who gets people to calm down with some of these ridiculous numbers that are thrown out there... but this contract is actually worse than it looks like on the surface.

*Potentially worse... looking at it from a regression to his norm POV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...