Titans Resign Ryan Tannehill

Titans fan 617

There’s this really weird thing happening where people somehow think that Dolphins Tannehill was a bad QB. When healthy, he was always a good QB. The worst thing that ever happened to him is that he got Gase’d for three years and lost a chunk of his prime playing for one of the worst “offensive minds” in football.

Do we think it’s some kind of coincidence that Tannehill, Kenyan Drake and DeVante Parker all have career years the second they got away from Gase? Or that Darnold showed virtually no progress and Le’Veon Bell was a shell of himself last year?

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

There’s this really weird thing happening where people somehow think that Dolphins Tannehill was a bad QB. When healthy, he was always a good QB. The worst thing that ever happened to him is that he got Gase’d for three years and lost a chunk of his prime playing for one of the worst “offensive minds” in football.

Do we think it’s some kind of coincidence that Tannehill, Kenyan Drake and DeVante Parker all have career years the second they got away from Gase? Or that Darnold showed virtually no progress and Le’Veon Bell was a shell of himself last year?

do you have faith in Tannehill to put this team on his back and carry us to victories a la Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc?

edit for clarity -- I'm not talking about every single game. I'm talking about games when you get behind in the second half and need your QB to go out and win you the game 

Edited by deeluxx3
-
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

And the above is not to say that 2019 is statistically sustainable. Just that the middle ground between Dolphins Tannehill and 2019 Tannehill would be a damn good QB.

Or at least a large jump from what we've known the past two decades (minus McNair + 1 Mariota season + 2 VY seasons + that one time Matt Hasselbeck was a Titan for some weird reason. Otherwise, yeah.) 

I do question the money. I mean, I know QB standard pay is ridiculous so you gotta, but I'm also saying

fetch?id=344416

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

do you have faith in Tannehill to put this team on his back and carry us to victories a la Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc?

edit for clarity -- I'm not talking about every single game. I'm talking about games when you get behind in the second half and need your QB to go out and win you the game 

No, I don’t think he’s a top five QB. I also don’t think we’ve built an offense that is designed for a QB to carry us to big second half rallies, not when we’re clearly prioritizing run blocking on the line and running 11 personnel the second lowest percentage of any team in the league.

Tannehill fits exactly what we are asking for out of a QB under the Smith/Vrabel plan. Elite PA and deep passer that’s comfortable throwing into tight windows and can move outside of the pocket. If the run game isn’t working and the defense can’t get a stop (Chiefs game), we’re obviously in trouble. But with the exception of a few QBs, that’s always going to be the case.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

No, I don’t think he’s a top five QB. I also don’t think we’ve built an offense that is designed for a QB to carry us to big second half rallies, not when we’re clearly prioritizing run blocking on the line and running 11 personnel the second lowest percentage of any team in the league.

Tannehill fits exactly what we are asking for out of a QB under the Smith/Vrabel plan. Elite PA and deep passer that’s comfortable throwing into tight windows and can move outside of the pocket. If the run game isn’t working and the defense can’t get a stop (Chiefs game), we’re obviously in trouble. But with the exception of a few QBs, that’s always going to be the case.

agree

but that's probably not going to win us a super bowl

5 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Or at least a large jump from what we've known the past two decades (minus McNair + 1 Mariota season + 2 VY seasons + that one time Matt Hasselbeck was a Titan for some weird reason. Otherwise, yeah.) 

I do question the money. I mean, I know QB standard pay is ridiculous so you gotta, but I'm also saying

fetch?id=344416

Yeah, we’re clearly committed to him at this point. The AAV doesn’t worry me much, but I’m still pretty surprised we weren’t able to get something done that gave us an out after Year 2.

• Like 1

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

agree

but that's probably not going to win us a super bowl

We just need to be a better regular season team. It’s asking a lot to go through Baltimore and Kansas City on the road in back to back weeks. For me, any road to the SB would begin with a strong enough regular season that we can somehow force the Chiefs and Ravens to beat up on each other before we see them. Which yeah, is tough. But the 49ers also just went 13-3 with a worse QB, so it’s not impossible.

Just now, titans0021 said:

We just need to be a better regular season team. It’s asking a lot to go through Baltimore and Kansas City on the road in back to back weeks. For me, any road to the SB would begin with a strong enough regular season that we can somehow force the Chiefs and Ravens to beat up on each other before we see them. Which yeah, is tough. But the 49ers also just went 13-3 with a worse QB, so it’s not impossible.

49ers also just lost the super bowl because, when push came to shove, their QB couldn't make the throws he needed to

I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But you're not winning a super bowl w/o a QB who's going to be able to come through in those moments for you. Unless you have an absolutely elite defense, which we won't have as long as we cannot rush the passer

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

49ers also just lost the super bowl because, when push came to shove, their QB couldn't make the throws he needed to

I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But you're not winning a super bowl w/o a QB who's going to be able to come through in those moments for you. Unless you have an absolutely elite defense, which we won't have as long as we cannot rush the passer

All roads lead through Mahomes is really the message here. The 49ers went through a conference with Rodgers, Wilson and Brees. We went through arguably the greatest QB in NFL history and the MVP of the league. 

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

All roads lead through Mahomes is really the message here. The 49ers went through a conference with Rodgers, Wilson and Brees. We went through arguably the greatest QB in NFL history and the MVP of the league. 

I get that we all see that Mahomes has the potential to be the GOAT but he's gonna have to grab himself a single season passing SOMETHING record or at least three more SBs to stake that claim. He's obviously incredible, but jeez. Let's let this kid play out his career first. 

17 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I get that we all see that Mahomes has the potential to be the GOAT but he's gonna have to grab himself a single season passing SOMETHING record or at least three more SBs to stake that claim. He's obviously incredible, but jeez. Let's let this kid play out his career first. 

That’s kind of my point, we were able to get through Brady and Lamar with Tannehill. The 49ers went through Rodgers, beat Russell Wilson to get a bye in the first place with Jimmy G. The only thing that stopped both teams was Mahomes. If three all time greats and the MVP coming off of a historic season could all be knocked off, why do we think it’s impossible to win a SB with Tannehill?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

That’s kind of my point, we were able to get through Brady and Lamar with Tannehill. The 49ers went through Rodgers, beat Russell Wilson to get a bye in the first place with Jimmy G. The only thing that stopped both teams was Mahomes. If three all time greats and the MVP coming off of a historic season could all be knocked off, why do we think it’s impossible to win a SB with Tannehill?

I don't think it's impossible. I just tend to fundamentally disagree with paying QBs big bucks unless they're studs. The market is so absurd that, IMO, paying QBs is bad team-building strategy. I don't think Tannehill is good enough to carry a team that can't pay a supporting cast. You have to have an Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes to get me to agree that I want to pay that kind of money. Otherwise, I'll roll the dice on a QB in the draft. So from a fundamental perspective, I'm already just more inclined to disagree with paying a QB. I'd argue the Eagles should be trading Carson Wentz and the Rams should be trading Jared Goff. The Cowboys should definitely be shopping Dak. Those are QBs I'm not paying money for, all of whom I still think I'd rather have on my roster than Tannehill. 

So that's just something you gotta know about me when I'm talking "This guy should be the QB of my team" or not. I hate paying QBs. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay 1st point you’re prejudging RTfrom his Miami years, that was a bad coaching staff & he didn’t have the supporting cast he has now.

So that part of my response was not in reference to RT. You made the comparison to Shaub... Who is a .500 qb with a 1-2 playoff record. 

My response is that it's not that a very flattering comparison... Especially for a qb we just committed 3 years and $90M into. 

Also re: Art Smith... I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of the guy, and not only wanted him gone by week 6,but also questioned Vrabel and JRobs judgment for bringing him in instead of going outside...

But... He showed a lot in the 2nd half of the season. By design he didn't ask too much of RTin the playoffs until the kc 2nd half, and he just couldn't produce. 

But my comment was more indicative of what kinda team and offense Vrabel and JRob want to run. Smith got better with his formations, design, and playcalling as the season wore on, but the general direction of the team is Vrabels call. If he wants Art to run a possession, run heavy scheme, then Arts going to do that. JRob drafting a RT and a 3rd down back who can actually run (and not just run short routes and screens) shows he supports Vrabels intended direction. They avoided WR in a WR heavy draft... And that should tell us everything we need to know about the type of offense we're running again this year... And it may bear a bigger semblance to our playoff offense than the offense we trotted out the last 8 weeks of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Henry hits 1500+ while Evans approaches 1k YFS. 

• Like 1