Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tetsujin

Are we going to see the return of run-centric offenses soon

Recommended Posts

I wonder if we start to see the rise of true run-centric offenses so they're not held hostage by franchise QB salary demands. Find a competent QB (who also migh be a scrambling threat), a legit threat at WR and TE to prevent teams stacking the line too much, use a lot of heavy formations and try for 60%+ rushing attempts.

Since 2016, only 3 times has a team had higher than 50% rushing attempts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game of football has always been about winning the air war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Elky said:

The game of football has always been about winning the air war.

Not always. And what does it mean to “win” the air war?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rules now are most advantageous to the passing game.  There will always be a requirement to run the ball effectively to control the defense physically, but a “run-centric” offense will be in the minority 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patrick Mahomes just won the conference championship over the Titans and then the superbowl over the 49ers. No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. The short pass is the new running game and OC love it for some bizarre reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Patrick Mahomes just won the conference championship over the Titans and then the superbowl over the 49ers. No.

The Chiefs beat the 49ers by executing a play or two more. Implying that a narrow victory makes a clear statement about a style of team being wrong is silly. The 49ers certainly have a team that can win a SB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

The Chiefs beat the 49ers by executing a play or two more. Implying that a narrow victory makes a clear statement about a style of team being wrong is silly. The 49ers certainly have a team that can win a SB.

Never said they didn't. But teams try to copy what's at the top, and after a lot of chatter going into the postseason of how the run was starting to take over, that's not what won in the end, and that's going to dictate a lot of roster building decisions, because the NFL is dumb about that kind of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As more and more teams stockpile small corners and small fast linebackers to curb the passing games, there will be teams that go the route of the Titans and simply run these guys over. It's cyclical.... Teams will start having success running over small defenses, then those defenses will bulk up and then get taken advantage of by quick/shifty passing game WR's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Titans, 49ers, Saints, Vikings, Texans, Ravens, and Seahawks all had very productive or dominant running games even when removing some of their mobile QBs.

Running the ball is underrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

The Titans, 49ers, Saints, Vikings, Texans, Ravens, and Seahawks all had very productive or dominant running games even when removing some of their mobile QBs.

Running the ball is underrated. 

The NFL runs in cycles. It will revert back to a Balance or Run heavy attack at some point. People can get enamored all they want by the Pass but more Teams win SB's by playing Great Defense and Or having a Balaced and above average rushing Attack then just chucking it up 60x a game!

Does that mean you can win without adequate QB play, of course not! However this idea Running doesn't matter, that these QB's can do it all because they're just that "gifted", is absurd. 

Just ask Aaron Rodgers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you have an elite QB at the helm, the best approach is to build up a great defense and a balanced offense led by a strong running attack. I think we'll see this shift now that some of the best QB's to ever do it are out of the league or are at the tail end of their careers: Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. The first 4 guys are arguably top 5 QB's of all time and won 6 of the last 14 Super Bowls, and when you include Roethlisberger, 7 of the last 14. With that level of QB play leaving the game I think we'll see the great defenses and balanced offenses start to become prevalent again.

When will we ever see 4 of greatest QB's of all time play in one era again? It's definitely not this one coming up. It's Mahomes and everyone else right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I wonder if we start to see the rise of true run-centric offenses so they're not held hostage by franchise QB salary demands. Find a competent QB (who also migh be a scrambling threat), a legit threat at WR and TE to prevent teams stacking the line too much, use a lot of heavy formations and try for 60%+ rushing attempts.

Since 2016, only 3 times has a team had higher than 50% rushing attempts.

Maybe. You saw it with the Titans, 49ers and Ravens tho in the playoffs where their Quarterbacks couldn't complete passes when they needed to.

Balance is always the way to go so you arent dependent on the run(see Titans, Ravens, 49ers again)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×