Are we going to see the return of run-centric offenses soon

Tetsujin

11 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

You definitely haven't watched pro football any time before the last decade.  

In 2019 the average team passed 558 times for 3759 yards and ran 418 times for 1806 yards.

In 2010 the average team passed 540 times for 3545 yards and ran 435 times for 1832 yards.

In 2000 the average team passed 527 times for 3310 yards and ran 441 times for 1801 yards.

In 1990 the average team passed 483 times for 3116 yards and ran 444 times for 1822 yards. 

In 1980 the average team passed 490 times for 3135 yards and ran 514 times for 2041 yards. 

In 1970 the average team passed 377 times for 2259 yards and ran 440 times for 1685 yards. 

In 1966 (the first year a Super Bowl was played) the average team passed 407 times for 2496 yards and ran 434 times for 1693 yards. 

You pretty much have to go back 25+ years to find a time where the NFL as a league wasn't passing more than it was running, and even in the late 60s, the passing yardage was still roughly 50% higher than the rushing yardage.

There's never really been a time in league history where the run game mattered more than the passing game, despite how people might wish to portray it. 

• Like 4

On 3/15/2020 at 10:25 PM, dtait93 said:

Unless you have an elite QB at the helm, the best approach is to build up a great defense and a balanced offense led by a strong running attack. I think we'll see this shift now that some of the best QB's to ever do it are out of the league or are at the tail end of their careers: Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. The first 4 guys are arguably top 5 QB's of all time and won 6 of the last 14 Super Bowls, and when you include Roethlisberger, 7 of the last 14. With that level of QB play leaving the game I think we'll see the great defenses and balanced offenses start to become prevalent again.

When will we ever see 4 of greatest QB's of all time play in one era again? It's definitely not this one coming up. It's Mahomes and everyone else right now.

Man, if Matt Ryan was around like 2 decades earlier, people would actually appreciate him.

• Like 2

IMO, running between the tackles is the best way to counter the current defensive philosophy of edge rushers and smaller, faster coverage Lbers, etc.  But like @KingOfTheDot stated football is still about balance.  You have to have a QB that can complete the pass when they need to complete it.  No matter how good of a running game a team has, they are going to find themselves in 3rd and long, 4th and 5 where you have to throw the ball and the teams need a QB who can do that.  You need a QB that is going to throw that 12 yard pass on 3rd and 11 and not dump it off and hope the RB or receiver can make someone miss and pick up the first down.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, Jakuvious said:

Patrick Mahomes just won the conference championship over the Titans and then the superbowl over the 49ers. No.

You have a valid point. However, only one team has a Patrick Mahomes.

The rest of us have to just try to keep him off the field. Ground and pound is our best hope because outshooting this guy is damn near impossible. Thus, the resurgence of the run game.

At least, that's how I view it. Just an opinion.

I would think it might swing that way eventually right?

Quarterbacks are getting ridiculously expensive for ones that aren't even Top-15, eventually the market has to crash right? The cap just isn't increasing enough to counteract the cost of QBs. 

Defenses are spending more on speed and less on power. In theory these defenses should be easier to run against

Its easier for most OL to run block than pass block

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I would think it might swing that way eventually right?

Quarterbacks are getting ridiculously expensive for ones that aren't even Top-15, eventually the market has to crash right? The cap just isn't increasing enough to counteract the cost of QBs. 

Defenses are spending more on speed and less on power. In theory these defenses should be easier to run against

Its easier for most OL to run block than pass block

The issue is when you need to make those passes to win. Unless you 49ers vs Packers your way to a win on the ground you have to throw when it matters most and those run heavy teams are collapsed.(Lamar, Tannehill, Jimmy G)

On 3/15/2020 at 6:22 PM, Jakuvious said:

Patrick Mahomes just won the conference championship over the Titans and then the superbowl over the 49ers. No.

True...but I think that Mahomes is probably the exception to the rule. I see lots of veteran QBs who are reaching the end of the road...Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. Mahomes doesn't make up for that type of passing talent. Many of the other guys in the second tier below Mahomes are also running threats. 

Add that to what I think is historic time in regards to RB talent, and it's not inconceivable that the running game will be an enormous factor moving forward in the NFL.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:09 PM, Jakuvious said:

Never said they didn't. But teams try to copy what's at the top, and after a lot of chatter going into the postseason of how the run was starting to take over, that's not what won in the end, and that's going to dictate a lot of roster building decisions, because the NFL is dumb about that kind of thing.

For those who keep quoting me, I've already elaborated on this. It's a copycat league that was told throughout the playoffs that a run heavy resurgence was taking over the postseason, and then they all got knocked out in the end. That will impact how people structure rosters and gameplans going forward. The end result of last season is not going to have teams saying yes, running is how to win the superbowl now. And that matters, because as I said, the NFL is dumb about that kind of thing.

I realize not everyone has Mahomes. But you can try to copy a speedy receiver corp, a downfield passing game, a high emphasis on athletic and versatile skill position pieces, etc.